Banned fatmakers vs lifestyle change

Replies

• TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Hint : use the ignore button @rainbowbow
    These forums are no place for science and facts! We prefer ridiculous opinions to gain our knowledge from :wink:

I honestly don't get what's wrong with you people... are opinions banned? Sure, facts are better than opinions. But am I (or anyone for that matter) not allowed to post my own opinions??

This is a community forum where we can discuss things related to fitness and health. What is wrong with opinions related to fitness and health?
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    I don't do soda either. That was my only forbidden thing. I would drink a two liter of A&W in 24 hours. That is not counting all the other food I ate. I did binge eat a lot. Now I try to clean when I have that feeling coming on. I know eating to many calories made me obese but the soda didn't help. I am now trying to reevaluate my trigger foods and stay clear of those. I just had a binge yesterday. Today is a new day to get things right. Almost 8 months in and 80-85 pounds down I know I will be watching what I eat the rest of my life. I have no magic number or end date. I just try to make better choices.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Believe it or not, the "fatmakers" that I needed to cut were the foods I didn't like much (hello donuts) or didn't think before eating (hello random handfuls of nuts every time I pass by the kitchen). I saved a lot of calories by not grabbing any random food left on the counter without considering if I actually want it or not. Mindless eating is a weird beast. You can be eating stale popcorn, complaining about it being stale, but continue eating it for some reason I cannot comprehend.

As for the soda, I switched to diet. I didn't drink it often, but I feel it's not worth the calories when the diet version is just as good in my opinion.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    To the OP, I didn't have any particular "fatmaker". I ate a little too much of too many things and I didn't move enough. My approach to this rather than cutting anything out (other than excess calories) was to add things to my lifestyle, more protein, more vegetables, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep.

I already drank diet soda and have for over 25 years so no issues there... I still ate pizza and ice cream and drank wine while losing, I just logged everything and fit it in as part of my overall diet.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    TravisGM92 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I ate ice cream like crazy. I try not to eat ice cream in general (even low carb/sugar ice cream) cause the artificial sweeteners that are put in some ice creams or sweet treats do your body more harm.

But do I "ban" this food? Not particularly. I eat it E V E R Y O N C E I N A W H I L E.
    Don't derail another thread with this nonsense. It's been thoroughly covered in another current (and many other past) threads, including responses by a molecular biologist with decades of experience in the field. It's BS.

As to the OP, I haven't cut anything out of my diet. Nothing whatsoever. I eat some things in considerably more moderation now, but I don't consider anything "forbidden".

? Whats your issue? I'm not derailing anything. I've heard artificial sweeteners do the body harm. I also choose to believe that. Is that a problem?

Well it's not factually based... so there's that

Yet I choose to believe it. I'm entitled to my own opinions... and posting them as well

that's the thing. there's opinions and then there's fact.

I choose to believe there's a great big teapot in the sky that grants magical wishes to those who sing micheal jackson's thriller in A minor. That doesn't mean it's true and it certainly doesn't mean it's relevant to a discussion about physics or biology.

OMG you see that too? I thought it was just me!

Just sang thriller in A minor. Got no wishes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Believe it or not, the "fatmakers" that I needed to cut were the foods I didn't like much (hello donuts) or didn't think before eating (hello random handfuls of nuts every time I pass by the kitchen).

This was the same for me -- getting rid of mindless eating and some other small things (too much olive oil when preparing food, more cheese than necessary, reducing servings of overly large sides of starchy foods that I don't care much about but would eat all of once I put it on the plate). That, plus realizing every time I was at a restaurant (local restaurants, work-related dining sometimes) didn't mean I should indulge, made a huge difference between gaining and losing.

If I drank sugary soda I'd cut it out for sure, because I hate wasting calories on drinks -- not filling for me, and a great way to mindlessly consume calories.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    edited August 2016
    As to the OP statement- I also drank a lot of soda. I still do but it's Coke Zero, which does not taste like Diet soda but help me stay within my calorie limit.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I ate ice cream like crazy. I try not to eat ice cream in general (even low carb/sugar ice cream) cause the artificial sweeteners that are put in some ice creams or sweet treats do your body more harm.

But do I "ban" this food? Not particularly. I eat it E V E R Y O N C E I N A W H I L E.
    Don't derail another thread with this nonsense. It's been thoroughly covered in another current (and many other past) threads, including responses by a molecular biologist with decades of experience in the field. It's BS.

As to the OP, I haven't cut anything out of my diet. Nothing whatsoever. I eat some things in considerably more moderation now, but I don't consider anything "forbidden".

? Whats your issue? I'm not derailing anything. I've heard artificial sweeteners do the body harm. I also choose to believe that. Is that a problem?

Yet I choose to believe it. I'm entitled to my own opinions... and posting them as well

I choose to believe there's a great big teapot in the sky that grants magical wishes to those who sing micheal jackson's thriller in A minor. That doesn't mean it's true and it certainly doesn't mean it's relevant to a discussion about physics or biology.

I wished for woo based pseudoscience to disappear from these forum threads and it didn't come true either. My pitch must be off.

Probably sang it in A major.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

I wished for woo based pseudoscience to disappear from these forum threads and it didn't come true either. My pitch must be off.

Probably sang it in A major.

Or you can't carry a tune in a bucket. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    Biggest fat maker in the US in my opinion: the 13" standard plate. It's filled till it's full and sometimes people go back for seconds.
    How to fix it: go to a 9" plate and don't go back for seconds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    I think it's fine to give things up IF you are completely okay doing that forever. I also only drink diet soda now, for example. For things you won't give up forever, learning to moderate is key. I find planning meals in advance helps me to stick to my goal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    So i became overweight because i drank to much soda. It was the only drink for me starting in the morning and ending in the evening. Soda is defiantly my fatmakers. I cut these empty calories out and am also on a diet to get to my regular weight. I read a lot of people about lifestyle change and sustainability of their diet. I wonder if there are people who also have a particullarly fatmaker of their own. And are you worried about your normal eating habbits without these fatmaker. Do you call banning this fatmaker a lifestyle change?

Years ago my mother did something similar. She was about five feet tall ad 110 pounds her entire adult life, except when she decided to start having a chocolate bar every day without changing any of her other eating habits. After quite awhile she got to about 120 and felt very uncomfortable. Sometime down the road, I noticed she was getting slim again and asked her what she was doing, and she said she stopped eating the candy bars because it was too much food. That was her fatmaker.

When we're trying to lose weight, we definitely need to cut somewhere. I always drank sugar free soda, but my thing was eating too much of everything, so I needed to learn portion control. So, because I overdid it on all foods, my fatmaker was my inability to do proper portion control and stay within calorie restrictions.

Great conversation starter, by the way. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

Nope. Nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners.

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 838 Member
    edited August 2016
    I changed up some things long ago:

I decided the creamer in coffee wasn't worth the calories and just started to drink my coffee black. I realized it tastes better to me anyway. I was never a fan of sweet flavored coffees so I don't really miss sweetener in my coffee.

I switched to diet sodas from regular soda. I usually don't drink much of it anyway and the difference in taste wasn't worth the extra calories.

I traded second and third portions of bread at meals for dessert (and wine at dinner time). Calories are about the same and I appreciate the greater variety.

I adopted a half- bagel as my portion. So now bagel flavor in the morning is something I can enjoy without using up as many calories.

I typically buy the reduced fat cream cheese for my bagel - I like the texture better than the full fat stuff.

I like ice cream a lot, so I now serve it daily, but in a smaller cup. My portion size is closer to the 1/2 cup on the label, rather than a full cup.

I typically get the non fat greek yogurt. Saves calories and I don't miss the extra fat.

For awhile I did not use any butter. But I realized I could get the flavor with even a small helping of it - so now I use it but just a little bit is sufficient for me.

When I drink milk, which is not very often anymore as I've lost the taste for it, I usually get the 2%, as the full fat version seems too rich tasting for me.

I cut down my portions of rice to 1/2 cup from 1 cup.

I use the whey isolate protein powder to supplement my protein intake - and for taste. The isolate is a little lower in calories and does not upset my stomach like the regular protein powders did.

I pass on seconds now and use the calories for dessert. I eat dessert more frequently now than when I was 95lbs. heavier three years ago!

Cool thread OP!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I do think that once upon a time, soda played a factor for me as well. It is a higher calorie drink and I'd consume probably 32-64 ounces a day. Easily 640-1280 calories. Long before I started actively trying to lose weight, I switched to diet soda to eliminate the empty calories.

For me part of the problem was lack of activity. I'm at my final weight now (though need to focus on strength training which can change one's 'final' weight) and if sedentary my TDEE would be low in the 1400-1500 range. Being more active is good for my fitness, my quality of life, and allows me to eat a 'normal' amount of food.
    So i became overweight because i drank to much soda. It was the only drink for me starting in the morning and ending in the evening. Soda is defiantly my fatmakers. I cut these empty calories out and am also on a diet to get to my regular weight. I read a lot of people about lifestyle change and sustainability of their diet. I wonder if there are people who also have a particullarly fatmaker of their own. And are you worried about your normal eating habbits without these fatmaker. Do you call banning this fatmaker a lifestyle change?

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    I just want to point this out real quick because it's my own personal pet peeve.

defiantly: an adverb that is linked to the noun defiance which is defined as "bold disobedience." It is one thing to behave badly and hope to get away with it. It is quite another to want to be seen behaving badly — that's action done defiantly: it defies, or openly goes against an order or rule.

definitely: an adverb that is linked to the adjective definite meaning without doubt (used for emphasis).

It never occurred to me that people didn't know the difference. I assumed autocorrect made a mistake and moved on.

• kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    One of my "trigger" foods is peanut butter. Every once in a while I buy some because "I got this"....well, I DON'T got this. I can have PB2 in the house and eat that in moderation. I cannot have real peanut butter or the whipped stuff in the house. My husband's trigger food are donuts. He'll eat the entire dozen if they're in the house. Obviously we don't buy them. Every ONCE in a while we'll buy 1 for each of us (and only 1). I bought muffins for a sleep over my step daughter had. Threw what was left away as soon as the kids left. This weight loss thing is a journey, and it's important to learn and know your limitations. Peanut butter is one of mine :-)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I just want to point this out real quick because it's my own personal pet peeve.

defiantly: an adverb that is linked to the noun defiance which is defined as "bold disobedience." It is one thing to behave badly and hope to get away with it. It is quite another to want to be seen behaving badly — that's action done defiantly: it defies, or openly goes against an order or rule.

definitely: an adverb that is linked to the adjective definite meaning without doubt (used for emphasis).

It never occurred to me that people didn't know the difference. I assumed autocorrect made a mistake and moved on.

I see this one mixed up quite often and it's one of the words (along with lose/loose) that I correct.

As someone who is also learning (10+ hours a week) a foreign language I think it's just the right thing to do. If I was making the same mistake and no one told me I would be frustrated.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I made quite a few changes. I'd cut out soda years ago (I hate the taste of diet, so it was easier for me to just elimininate it, or get unsweetened iced tea if/when we go out to eat).

Switched from skim to whole milk.

Switched from low or non fat yogurt to full fat.

Replaced most of the whole grains and starchy veggies with fibrous veggies.

Started eating fattier cuts of meat (ribeye rather than sirloin, chicken thighs, with the skin, rather than boneless, skinless breast, pork shoulder rather than loin, etc).

Started eating the whole egg, rather than just the whites.

Switched from reduced fat cheese to full fat cheese, and replaced whole wheat crackers with almonds or cashews.

Dropped fruit consumption, and started focusing on low sugar fruit (berries) and savory fruit (avocado, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, etc).

Traded in ice cream for fresh berries with heavy cream.

Swapped milk chocolate for good quality dark chocolate.

Cut the sweetened "creamer" from my coffee and replaced it with half and half or heavy cream.

A lot less beer, a lot more bourbon (on the rocks, no mixers, no chasers).

I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of, but all of these changes were helpful to me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member

I never thought of a paticular food or drink causing my weight gain. I just took in too many calories for my activity level.
    Logging so I was aware and then eating appropriate portion sizes for me is really all I needed to change. I didn't ban anything.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    My "fatmaker" is definitely baked goods! I just love them so very much! I can eat a whole basket of bread at Italian places, and don't get me started on breakfast breads (coffee cakes, cinnamon rolls, cathead biscuits, croissants)!

I still eat them, but it's far a few between. And the calories attached to such a small serving is so sad that most times it's not worth it. :neutral:
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    For me, by biggest problem came from becoming very sedentary. It's too easy for me to overeat if I'm not active. I cut down on some things, but the only things I really cut out entirely were migraine triggers (Red 40 and aspartame - which are fine for many people, but make my head feel like someone's got a hammer in there and is trying to break out of my skull). With both of my triggers... I can eat them in small doses, but there's an invisible line that, if crossed, triggers a migraine. I don't want it, so I just avoid both things to the best of my ability. Other artificial sweeteners - like sucralose - don't bother me at all. So, I do eat some diet foods. I just have to check the label to see which one was used.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    It sounds silly but large packets of anything! Once the packet is open it's fair game and I can/will/have eat(en) the lot. I've switched to buying multi packs or portioning out my bulk buys now just to eliminate the danger!!