Homeopathic nutritionist?

Options

Replies

• coffeethencardio
    coffeethencardio Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've worked for a homeopathic veterinarian and I saw some amazing things work for some animals and not for others. Personally I would not return to this "nutritionist". I would find a RD but then you'll get the "You must eat meat and drink milk and eat tons of cheese" POV. I'm not sure what dietary changes your family made. I use my PCM to monitor blood levels in order to make sure I'm healthy. She knows I'm plantbased and I don't subscribe to the BS of the SAD (Standard American Diet). Good luck! :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    jprewitt1 wrote: »

So the hospital gave your son hepatitis and you didn't pursue legal action? Can I ask why not? I'm not trying to argue. I like the conversation and I like hearing differing opinions.

Because when we consulted an attorney to do so we were told that he could guarantee, even with multiple blood tests from different doctors, that the hospital and blood bank would have already altered both the records of the product he received and our son's personal records. He said it was wrong, but he'd been a trial lawyer for 25+ years and had seen it happen many times when it involved any tainted blood product. He said they had only been able to prove that happened in a couple of cases he was involved in and it was because whomever did the altering made a couple of small mistakes in the process that some smart person found for him. After consulting with said attorney we moved on. We had two medical crisis going on at the exact same time and did not have energy to further pursue after being told that. Looking back, I kind of wish we had but at that moment, we had to choose between focusing on healing two people and the ensuing life change that brought or money to inflict some pain on those who were at fault. We did not have the time, energy, or capacity to do both at once. In the end, we decided not to seek out another opinion (this person was a friend - we trusted him, and still do). It would not have altered our course of treatment nor would money change what we were going through. Our boy is hep. free and blood disease free today, which was worth the decision to put our energy into him. It's a valid question to ask........
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    12 out of 1200 doesn't even come close to a large portion, unless you want to claim it is a large portion by homeopathic math.

:D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Of particular notice is the section about electrodiagnostic devices:
    Some physicians, dentists, and chiropractors use "electrodiagnostic" devices to help select the homeopathic remedies they prescribe. These practitioners claim they can determine the cause of any disease by detecting the "energy imbalance" causing the problem. Some also claim that the devices can detect whether someone is allergic or sensitive to foods, vitamins, and/or other substances. ...

It sounds like something straight out of a Robert Heinlein book. It would have been good science fiction 100 years ago.
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Oh God, be careful honey. A good sense of self esteem and a balanced diet, avoid toxic relationships and get out and walk or bike or go to a gym. Also, someone who loves you. All of these total up to good homeopathy I believe.
    Lots of cuddling (s*x) also....oops, edit me.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Wait, so you are saying the hospital would have altered records just to show they weren't at fault??? And would get the blood bank (a completely seperate entity) involved In the cover up? You don't consider that a conspiracy theory? That is absolutely ridiculous. Blood bank have admitted to tainted blood before, in fact, they admitted to giving people HIV, hepatitis, as well as other blood borne disorders.

This hospital has its own blood bank (owned and operated by the hospital) and we had nothing to go off of but what the attorney told us.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »

Actually, the FTC's job includes making sure that companies don't deceive consumers when marketing products to them.

For one second, their job is not about making sure consumers aren't "deceived."
    You are wrong as usual. What @lynn_glenmont said was 100% correct:
    Actually, the FTC's job includes making sure that companies don't deceive consumers when marketing products to them.
    Their job is to protect standard medical practice (and the AMA which buys and owns the FDA, FTC, etc.) from being encroached on with other things that work for diseases.
    Nope, thats not what the FTC's role is. Sounds like some grade A conspiracy theory. Also, If something is proven to treat a disease then it becomes medicine. If it doesn't then it should be discarded.

When the government feels the need to protect people from their own decisions, then they don't believe much in freedom. And that's what the FTC's labeling decision is 100% about.
    Nope, wrong again. The labeling decision is about holding the quacks up to the same standards as other products making the same claims. Why is it such a problem that the homeopathic companies prove their claims? If it is so effective then it should be easy to prove. 200 years of homeopathy and still no valid scientific evidence to back up the claims.
    Informed consent doesn't mean the right to be informed only about what the government thinks "works" just because they don't understand it. It means the right to know and learn about whatever they desire to for medical care and then make their decision based on what they've learned.
    You have no idea what informed consent is. Don't pretend you do. Here is a very good description of what informed consent is:
    http://missinglink.ucsf.edu/lm/ethics/Content Pages/fast_fact_informed_consent.htm
    If the FTC can require their statement of inefficacy, then remedy manufacturers have the right to make their statement for efficacy. Let the person decide who they want to believe.
    What ronjsteele post wouldn't be complete without a logical fallacy. Your asking for false equivalence. The data that shows lack of effect of homeopathy far outweighs the data that shows any effect. Also, science is not about belief. Its about what the data shows. And the data shows that homeopathy is pseudoscience.
    Do you realize that a large portion of the medicines used to treat cancers, etc. they don't actually know "how" they work? They only know when they tried them they worked.
    This is completely untrue. I'm sure you can provide some evidence, oh wait never mind, forgot who I was responding to.
    A lot of people may not know or understand how hpathy works
    And a lot of people know that it doesn't work and a lot understand why it doesn't work.
    but enough people use it and it works
    2 more logical fallacies. Argument ad populum and argument by assertion. No, it doesn't work. It can not possibly work in anyway, shape, or form. No matter how much you say it does. You still would have to break a few laws of physics and biology for it to work.
    that they want to continue using it (going to call millions of people worldwide liars? Because that would be pretty bold).
    Great, 2 logical fallacis rolled into one neat little package, false dichotomy and a strawman. No one called anyone a liar. There are many reasons why people think it "works", placebo, post hoc ergo proper hoc, they got better on their own, they are among the worried well, regression to the mean. Shall I go on?

Again, just because millions of people use it doesn't prove it works. Millions of people use horoscopes. I guess horoscopes are scientifically validated?
    And they continue to study the "whys."
    No, they continue to do studies with poor controls, no blinding, small n. And they continue to show no effect, yet they either declare victory or they always follow up with "further studies needed." How many more negative studies do you need to know that it is pure pseudoscientific bs?

They don't study the "whys." They've had 200 years to study the whys. Water doesn't have memory, diluting a substance doesn't make it stronger, law of similars is pure fairytale. No studies needed.

If a chemo worked for millions of people worldwide, you think the FDA and FTC would fight its use?
    Duh. If its proven to work, as chemotherapy has been, then they would have no reason to fight it. Why would they? Not sure why you made this odd statement as it doesn't support your very weak argument at all.
    It's all about the money and always will be......
    Yes, alternative medicine is all about the money, its a $34 billion dollar a year insustry.
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/alternative-medicine-is-a-34-billion-industry-but-only-one-third-of-the-treatments-have-been-tested-879411/
    Making money selling useless supplements and treatments. It's disgusting. But for some reason they get a pass.

AMAZING!!!! Thank you!
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Wait, so you are saying the hospital would have altered records just to show they weren't at fault??? And would get the blood bank (a completely seperate entity) involved In the cover up? You don't consider that a conspiracy theory? That is absolutely ridiculous. Blood bank have admitted to tainted blood before, in fact, they admitted to giving people HIV, hepatitis, as well as other blood borne disorders.

This hospital has its own blood bank (owned and operated by the hospital) and we had nothing to go off of but what the attorney told us.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, but glad to hear you son is better now.