I *love* riding a bike

Options
Riding a bike is fun.

Bikes are as hard or easy as you want to make them. You can have a leisurely ride in the park or a sweaty hammerfest. You can finesse your way through tight corners at speed, or you can go slamdancing on the pedals. Using skill on a bike feels really good.

It's also a very freeing form of transportation. (The first bikes gave women unprecedented mobility, earning them the name "freedom machines.") Much less stress than driving, easier to park (in a city), and sometimes you get to talk to people, because you aren't separated from your surroundings. Bikes are one of the few things that were invented for convenience and have the side effect of making people healthier. People who commute by bike report losing weight, saving money, and feeling more energized.

A road bike is also one of the most energy efficient forms of transportation people have invented. If you don't like mechanical stuff, a good bike is reliable and low fuss, but if you're interested, it's a masterpiece. A good bike can be lovely, too.

Finally, you can ride a bike indoors in bad weather, but most people ride them outside. Any excuse to go outside and feel the sun and breeze on your face is a good thing, this alone fights depression, and the icing on the cake is that it's exercise too.

26892109234_eec7171d7f_o_d.jpg

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    i like mine...it has its own engine :)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    A Bicycle is a curious piece of machinery. It's the only mode of transportation that it's passenger is also it's engine.

Rowing boat?

A boat is a machine? I guess it depends what you're calling a machine.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    This one I built by myself from the ground up, ordered the parts and threw it together.
    Aventon Mataro, Aventon Light Carbon Fork, Aventon Push Wheels, SRAM Crank set & Chain, Forte Bars, Fizik Saddle and Fizik Bar Tape
    muetztykfkbr.jpg
    =====================================================
    Specialized Pitch 650b with a full Sram GX 2x10 group-set w/ Crank Brother Egg Beater Pedals
    kjddyc1bxa6r.jpg

Specialized Secture, However it came from the LBS.....
    3y2w0o5sdcm7.jpg
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    July and August in San Francisco are cold and foggy. I ride my bike up to San Bruno Mountain (1100' elevation) as often as I can and end up ABOVE the fog. It's a nice reward for a moderately difficult ride. The 15 minute pure downhill coast to get back home at sea level is pretty nice too.
    qysjji7wmts0.jpg

Without the fog

jypa3qxergge.jpg

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    This one I built by myself from the ground up, ordered the parts and threw it together.

I've never built a bike up myself. But I've learned to do some mechanical work on them. Yet another thing to love about bikes! They're an excuse to roll up your sleeves and work with your hands if you want one; that can be very satisfying for people who work in an office.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    y2mrmlfxe6d8.jpg

Self contained, self powered travel machine. And you get to eat ALL DAY LONG.
  • CincyNeid
    Options

I've never built a bike up myself. But I've learned to do some mechanical work on them. Yet another thing to love about bikes! They're an excuse to roll up your sleeves and work with your hands if you want one; that can be very satisfying for people who work in an office.

I had the privilege of having a father that worked in the Automotive Industry. I learned a lot as a youth on how to work on Bikes, Cars, Motorcycles and what not. I'm personally ASE and AIA certified. But anywho .... I ordered the frame set, wheels, Stem and seat post from City Grounds, the Saddle and Bars came from Performance Bike. The Crank Set came from a LBS called Team Cycle and Fitness. It went together much smoother than I expected. Being it's a Single Speed Track bike I had it together in like 35 mins.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You can play football and rugby, but you DO NOT play at cycling. ;)
  • denversillygoose
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »

nb5wwzcjvqi7.jpg

This is how I play at cycling.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

nb5wwzcjvqi7.jpg

That's serious. That is not playing!
  • denversillygoose
    edited August 2016
    Options

nb5wwzcjvqi7.jpg

That's serious. That is not playing!

No way. This is my (more) fun ride.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    You like Salsa bikes, huh?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The best part about riding a bike is that it's so much fun, you forget that it's "exercise". Every time I get on my bike it's like being a kid again. I can put my head down and hammer until my legs are burning and I'm gasping for breath, or I can find a fun trail and work up a good sweat popping wheelies, bunny hopping/jumping off things, railing corners, climbing hills and riding through mud puddles. What's not to like?
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    This is my dream bike.... If I go fat I'm going all out and getting FS.

h1frtkd7sye0.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    sfcrocker wrote: »
    July and August in San Francisco are cold and foggy. I ride my bike up to San Bruno Mountain (1100' elevation) as often as I can and end up ABOVE the fog.

The technical weather jargon term for that is an inversion, but around here we call it undercast , like overcast but the opposite.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

I had the privilege of having a father that worked in the Automotive Industry. I learned a lot as a youth on how to work on Bikes, Cars, Motorcycles and what not. I'm personally ASE and AIA certified. But anywho .... I ordered the frame set, wheels, Stem and seat post from City Grounds, the Saddle and Bars came from Performance Bike. The Crank Set came from a LBS called Team Cycle and Fitness. It went together much smoother than I expected. Being it's a Single Speed Track bike I had it together in like 35 mins.

That's really cool! My parents were worriers so I wasn't allowed to be involved in anything mechanical.
  • CincyNeid
    Options

That's really cool! My parents were worriers so I wasn't allowed to be involved in anything mechanical.

It nearly cost me my life, about 4 years ago I was working on my. The jack stand shifted and the car came down on top of me. 2,600 pounds laying on my chest. Broke my left arm's Radius Bone and bruised a couple ribs and did some nerve damage.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I like to ride my bike, too. Probably too much. Who cares if the house is dirty and the grass grows long.... :)