I *love* riding a bike

Options

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Riding a bike is fun.

It's also a very freeing form of transportation. (The first bikes gave women unprecedented mobility, earning them the name "freedom machines.") Much less stress than driving, easier to park (in a city), and sometimes you get to talk to people, because you aren't separated from your surroundings. Bikes are one of the few things that were invented for convenience and have the side effect of making people healthier. People who commute by bike report losing weight, saving money, and feeling more energized.

Finally, you can ride a bike indoors in bad weather, but most people ride them outside. Any excuse to go outside and feel the sun and breeze on your face is a good thing, this alone fights depression, and the icing on the cake is that it's exercise too.
    YEEESSSS.
    I share the love! I love long bike rides, and I often bike the 2-4 miles to my local grocery stores and shopping plazas if I don't plan on buying anything too big. Even though going uphill is always a challenge (I currently live in a hilly area), I enjoy cycling very much.
    -That reminds me, I need to plan another trail ride soon before things get too busy.
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love my bike! Cycling is very meditative for me. Right now I'm concentrating on building up my stamina again, so I've been doing mostly flat rides (I have a road bike). In a month or so I'll be tackling the hills.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    A Bicycle is a curious piece of machinery. It's the only mode of transportation that it's passenger is also it's engine.

Do you consider an aircraft a machine? :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_Daedalus

humanpoweredflying.propdesigner.co.uk/html/daedalus.html

nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/Daedalus/EC87-0014-8.html

And in regards to the OP, in less than five pounds, when I cross from the obese to overweight BMI, I'll be rewarding myself with my first bike since I was in the single digit ages. Should be interesting after all these decades.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I started riding my bike at the BMX track with my kids 3 days a week. Love it! us0p218pfpwj.jpeg

Very cool! On a previous commute I used to pass a BMX track and one day was too tempted and ended up riding it on my commuter bike! Not the best of ideas but I did manage to survive without breaking the bike or myself.
  • niblue
    Options
    I used to cycle a lot but have just got back into it again recently after a couple of years of running as my main exercise. Particularly enjoyed getting out in the hills with my various mountain bikes - here's a pic from a recent ride in the hills above Edinburgh:
    original.jpg
  • niblue
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    On our wedding day (August 24, 2008), we cycled a century (100 miles) and then got married with our bicycles in attendance.

Impressive! Mad, but impressive...

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It's an excuse to wear tight shorts; still working on the top. Love the freedom and tranquility. 4.7k miles this year and counting.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love riding my bike. It's freeing!!
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Did I hear somebody talking about bikes?!

Another 32km then I will reach 8000km with 72,572m elevation (5000 miles with 238,097 feet ) this year.

@Machka9 I love your pics and story! Totally awesome and super sweet!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    This is my dream bike.... If I go fat I'm going all out and getting FS.

This is my dream bike, but I still need an MTB and good wheels for my Grade.

36000000a0r5ddi1s18.jpg?w=1280&q=70&hash=571AF0F49E7E876FED984DEC57A9E16EE45D01C7
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Geez, still learning tablet process on these photo uploads... Anyway love mountain biking
    Live in AArizona mmountains
  • niblue
    Options
    original.jpg
    I'm more of a mountain biker than a road cyclist but here's a picture of my wife and I with our road bikes, doing some cycling in Munich a few weeks back.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I love my pink Electra cruiser! I ride all over the city with it, and carry all kinds of stuff in my cute wicker basket, which is particularly nice for farmer's market trips. It's impossible to make it go too fast, so I ride at the same pace as my young children. However....however.....I have my old Marlin, loaded with hand-me down goodies from my husband, languishing on a rack in the garage...its siren song has been getting louder and louder as I look to push myself harder. I used to spend an entire day on that thing, on the roads or back in the woods, on such hills as we have around here or on flat but very technical singletrack, before kids. I think it's probably time for a tune up at the bike shop, and I wonder where my padded shorts, my gloves, and the shoes for my clipless pedals have gone....
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    A Bicycle is a curious piece of machinery. It's the only mode of transportation that it's passenger is also it's engine.

Rowing boat?

Skateboard? Railroad hand cart?
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My husband and I both love cycling ... we met while cycling the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003, got to know each other cycling other long distance events in Australia and North America, and then included bicycles in our wedding. :)

On our wedding day (August 24, 2008), we cycled a century (100 miles) and then got married with our bicycles in attendance.

2825944895_d0400cbbcf_z.jpg?zz=1

Relationship goals! This is my dream wedding!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I bought what I call an urban commuter bike (Del Sol campus II) mainly to work some different muscles than ones I use for running. On a trip to Switzerland I noticed how many people use them to get to the train and shop. So I outfitted it with expanding pannier bags an a 64 0z. stainless beer growler. I use it to go shop or to grab a craft brew. Also nice when it gets too hot to run. I feel like a kid again when I ride.