I *love* riding a bike

Options

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Lol... If they don't like Tri Bikes due to the brakes... They'd hate my Aventón...

20160709_070549-01_zps1cteqgbr.jpeg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    Do you guys take your high dollar triathlon bikes with CF wheels out for street cruising, or just use them in races? I've read that you have to replace CF wheels as they fade from braking. How quick does it fade? I ride 150-200 miles a week with a lot of braking

Wheels come in two flavors these days: disc brakes, or rim.

With rim brakes, you're using levers and pads to pinch the rim of the wheel to stop it. With disc brakes you're doing the same thing, but to a metal rotor attached to the hub, instead of the rim itself.

Either one of them will eventually wear out. With discs, you replace the rotor, and that might cost in the ballpark of $50 per wheel. With rim brakes, you wear the braking surface of the rim, and at a certain point, the rim is toast. You buy a new rim for anywhere from $50 to $900 (per wheel) and have the rest of the wheel rebuilt, or you buy a new one. It doesn't matter if it's carbon or alloy or bamboo.

If you ride in the rain, your braking surface (rims or rotors) will wear a lot faster. It's not just water coming down from the sky, it's also splashing up from the road, and bringing all sorts of grime and mud and sand with it. That stuff eats your drive train and brake surfaces.

You can probably tell I think high dollar wheels only make sense in disc. Enve makes high dollar carbon wheels in both flavors, they come with a 5 year warranty and lifetime crash replacement, so when I have mine, I'll ride them every day.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    c32v7rar3pxb.jpg

My rocket ship wearing her dancing shoes.

I freaking love Cervelos! They're usually fugly, but my god they ride well!

I've had a Soloist, and an R3 SL.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    c32v7rar3pxb.jpg

Hey!!!! She's beautiful! (and sensitive :))
  • solieco1
    Options
    I started riding my bike at the BMX track with my kids 3 days a week. Love it! us0p218pfpwj.jpeg

FUN!!!!!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Our local group allows it, as long as the rider doesn't use the tri bars while riding in a pack or paceline.
    My club don't and if one joins our train we make sure they stay in the back or pull the entire way. If they don't get the point, a few surges and more aggressive riding is normally sufficient. It's bad enough with regular riding without adding more encumbrances. Not being an *kitten* (OK a little) but I value my safety. The same goes with strangers. Before new riders join in our group rides, we make them go through an orientation, a series of training rides to teach the basics and dynamics of group riding.
    I don't use a helmet, padded shorts (or any cycling clothes for that matter), or any bike attachments such as water bottle holders, lights, etc.
    Go a few hours and you'll appreciate the extra load and cycling specific attire. It only takes one fall to appreciate the added protection a helmet brings. Not a cure all but better than hitting straight on.
    What accessories would you recommend for the bike itself.
    Anything that will get you home w/o walking or calling for a ride. I carry a saddle bag with two spare tubes, a patch kit, a multi-tool, a few bills, two CO2 canisters, a spoke wrench, a spare 2032 battery, & tire levers. I also carry a mini-pump next to my H2O cage. Lights & fenders (consideration for others) as needed. Two bottle cages.
    I don't like adding weighted accessories because I like to have the light weight to fling the bike around obstacles.
    ? Keep it secure on person or bike. Learn to bunny hop and improve your handling.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    c32v7rar3pxb.jpg

Yours is the exception that proves the rule (about Cervelo making fugly bikes). What's her name?
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Do you guys take your high dollar triathlon bikes with CF wheels out for street cruising, or just use them in races? I've read that you have to replace CF wheels as they fade from braking. How quick does it fade? I ride 150-200 miles a week with a lot of braking
    Fade? They all do because of heat build up during heavy braking. CF (rim brake and clinchers) is just more susceptible to it because of the material doesn't dissipate heat as fast.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Go a few hours and you'll appreciate the extra load and cycling specific attire.

I feel ya. The longest I have spent on my bike so far is a 40 mile ride, and I was fine the first day, but when I repeated the 40 miles the second day I felt semi-sore on my behind afterwards. :lol: I have my eye on some gear, but have to put my money towards other priorities.
    Anything that will get you home w/o walking or calling for a ride. I carry a saddle bag with two spare tubes, a patch kit, a multi-tool, a few bills, two CO2 canisters, a spoke wrench, a spare 2032 battery, & tire levers. I also carry a mini-pump next to my H2O cage. Lights & fenders (consideration for others) as needed. Two bottle cages.

I do keep a backpack with my work clothes, water, and repair tools. I need a phone mount kit so I can watch my gps and text messages tho. I find a frame mount restricts me from standing to pedal because my knees will hit the phone and need a handlebar mount instead. Other than that, just interested in seeing what people find nifty. :)

? Keep it secure on person or bike. Learn to bunny hop and improve your handling.

I come from BMXing, mountain biking, and dirt jumping. I bunny hop quite regularly off curbs into traffic when I need to, and back onto them. lol But issues like swerving around fire hydrants, bus benches, pot holes, sharp sidewalk turns, etc...........I prefer to keep light and nimble so I can keep full speed without braking ;)
    Fade? They all do because of heat build up during heavy braking. CF (rim brake and clinchers) is just more susceptible to it because of the material doesn't dissipate heat as fast.

Yes, but the question was how long before they need to be replaced. Thats already been answered by a couple of people, though. Pretty sure I don't need to upgrade to CF wheels anytime soon or on this bike at all.
  • solieco1
    Options
    c32v7rar3pxb.jpg

Yours is the exception that proves the rule (about Cervelo making fugly bikes). What's her name?

Hahaha you knew she'd be named, huh? Koa.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I need a phone mount kit so I can watch my gps and text messages tho. I find a frame mount restricts me from standing to pedal because my knees will hit the phone and need a handlebar mount instead. Other than that, just interested in seeing what people find nifty. :)

I use a Garmin not my phone for this stuff. I find it's really easy to read when it's on my stem, and also out of the way. Several pics of my bike outfitted like this already in this thread.

But a lot of people like out front mounts, which would be even more clear for your purposes. I assume they're available for phones too, not sure.

1361748350286-1jjfumbuxyk01-700-80.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    c32v7rar3pxb.jpg

My Soloist was Luma because she was fast as light.

My R3 was Antipodes because I'd ride her to the ends of the Earth.

:smile:
  • solieco1
    Options
    c32v7rar3pxb.jpg

My Soloist was Luma because she was fast as light.

My R3 was Antipodes because I'd ride her to the ends of the Earth.

:smile:

Koa (Hawaiian)
    [koh' (w)ah]
    Brave, Bold, Fearless

My road bike is named Monchique after a mountain in Portugal I didn't ride the first time. I rode to the top of that sucker in April :)
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options

So the bottom article might be satire, but why 3" rise socks and no camelback? Ive been hooked on camelbacks since 2005.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options
    One of my bicycles ... I was kind of playing around with night photography a couple years ago ...

14134014351_e87503a705_c.jpg

14164744993_3349a5a0b8_c.jpg

14148651821_e4709dd0ef_c.jpg
  • solieco1
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I sometimes intentionally wear no socks and long assos bibs with a sleeveless jersey and arm warmers just to bug those that care :wink:
  • solieco1
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    One of my bicycles ... I was kind of playing around with night photography a couple years ago ...

14134014351_e87503a705_c.jpg

14164744993_3349a5a0b8_c.jpg

14148651821_e4709dd0ef_c.jpg

I love the one with the shadow!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have problems riding a bike? I feel like I am right now legitimately too big to ride a bike. 200 ft. in, and the seat is in places it should not be, and it is just no bueno. To be fair, I think the last bike I owned might have been a bad one, so does anyone have a suggestion? Or do I just need to wait until I drop some poundage?
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Cyclists... Triathletes... To me it just means what's one's "main" sport is. That's pretty much about it. It doesn't equate how good/mediocre/bad etc the person when on the bike is. Seen too many so called cyclists totally sucks in bike handling, same for triathlete, and vice versa. So I don't judge by the name...