To build muscle how much weight do I have to be lifting?

Options
1235»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    VT802VT wrote: »
    Everyone starts somewhere. Practice with dumbbells first to get a feel for what you can handle as far as weight goes. When i started going to the gym i started with 2 15pound dumbells and did 4 sets, 12 reps per set. Over a few weeks i was up to 55 pound dumbells doing the same 4 sets, 12 reps a set or until i failed. Just keep adding weight, but keep the reps and sets the same so you keep moving up. If your arms arent burning, up the reps, or up the weight. For the people who know what they are doing, and are serious about growth now, you might want to look into bulking, I would suggest heading over to bodybuilding.com its awesome for what you are looking for, they have a community just like this one.

Prime example of where it's really helpful to read both the OP and thread before commenting, not just the subject.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    VT802VT wrote: »
    Everyone starts somewhere. Practice with dumbbells first to get a feel for what you can handle as far as weight goes. When i started going to the gym i started with 2 15pound dumbells and did 4 sets, 12 reps per set. Over a few weeks i was up to 55 pound dumbells doing the same 4 sets, 12 reps a set or until i failed. Just keep adding weight, but keep the reps and sets the same so you keep moving up. If your arms arent burning, up the reps, or up the weight. For the people who know what they are doing, and are serious about growth now, you might want to look into bulking, I would suggest heading over to bodybuilding.com its awesome for what you are looking for, they have a community just like this one.

What exercise were you doing this on? A 80lb total increase over 3 weeks is practically unheard of especially in the medium rep range. Unless you know, you're enhanced?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    That's too bad I was really hoping to hear what this strength building God had to say