Headache from healthy eating?

Options
I challenged myself to eat raw (only fruits and vegetables) all day today, and my head has been pounding all day. I have a feeling that my body is detoxing from all of the crap and chemicals that I have been consuming, but it's a little uncomfortable.

I am tempted to take an ibuprofen, but I don't think that it's the best idea.

Has this happened to anyone else on their healthy eating journey?

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Maybe caffeine withdrawal? Might consider easing in to such a drastic (if it is) change.

No experience here. I'm still a pizza eater. :smiley:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Did you eat protein and fats?
  • Electric_Warfare
    Electric_Warfare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Drink some water and pop an ibuprofen. Then see how it goes tomorrow.
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Possibly caffeine withdrawals if you're a coffee / energy drink drinker. Or as the others said a lack of nutrients
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    When I don't eat starchy carbs, I get a headache. A really bad one too! Might be this
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Drink some water and pop an ibuprofen. Then see how it goes tomorrow.

This!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Raw always gets me. I can eat a salad or 2 but not all day.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Were you eating a large amount of sugar or consuming a lot of caffeine before you did a 180? Because, although it's not a detox, it might be a withdrawal-type symptom of purging that kind of stuff all at once. I know when I've tried to "quit" caffeine in the past, I've felt this way. And before you went "raw", did you plan accordingly so you were still able to get appropriate nutrition??
  • carabelle207
    carabelle207 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Did you get enough calories? You can get a headache from your blood sugar falling too low if you didn't eat enough food. If you regularly consume caffeine & you stop cold turkey this cold be the problem too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just eating fruit and veg will probably leave you deficient in fat and protein... not healthy at all
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Where is your protein intake?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Certain foods give me headaches/migraines. Nuts especially. Or could be hormonal?

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There is more to eating healthy than just eating fruits and vegetables...and there's nothing unhealthy about cooking said vegetables either...but eating well doesn't cause headaches...maybe you're having caffeine withdrawal...could be that only eating raw fruit and veg has provided very little in the way of calories...calories aren't some evil thing...they are a unit of energy and you have to provide your body with an appropriate amount of energy to run right...and why isn't an Ibuprofen a good idea? Just FYI, fats and protein are essential to eating healthy.

• caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Sounds like caffeine withdrawal, or simply just not eating enough. Either of those give me headache. And Fanta but I'm assuming that's not the issue here!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Did you eat protein and fats?

This^

Sounds like your definition of "healthy" is way too narrow.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Why did you decide to eat only raw fruit and veg today? I would say you don't have enough food I always get a headache when I am hungry.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eating only fruits and vegetables probably means not much protein or fat. Eat some protein foods.
    You might not be consuming enough calories either with just raw fruits and vegetables. Make sure you are eating enough.
    If you are used to consuming caffiene and are not now it can cause you headaches as well.

Eating such a restricted diet is a worse idea than just taking a pain reliever when you have a headache IMO.