Options
124»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    krishnip wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    1.2 pounds is pretty decent if this is the first two weeks? And why are you considering what ya doing as starving yourself?

Calorie Goal? How many pounds set to loose each week and how many total do you want to loose?

1200 cals and 1.5 a week - my husband and a friend are saying the same thing - its not a waste!!!

I see in your other thread that you are 5 feet tall, weigh 128, and want to weigh 110. With only 18 pounds to lose, change your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5 pound per week and enjoy those extra calories.

Make sure you eat back a percentage of your exercise calories back - many posters recommend 50%.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    RobD520 wrote: »
    @gonetothedogs19 , why come to a calorie counting site and then bash calorie counting?

Not bashing calorie counting, weighing and measuring at all. It works very well for a few people.

Just like a plant-based vegan diet works very well for a few people.

But the vast majority of people will not count, weigh and measure food, just like the vast majority of people will not give up eating meat, poultry, fish, dairy and eggs.

Therefore, alternatives need to be explored. And if you fail at calorie counting, Phase I of South Beach (or other similar diets) could be a nice alternative (I said could be, because within two days, there are people who would hate it).

Full disclosure - I have met a few plant-based vegans, but have never met a calorie counter.

You also are trying to sell phase 1 of the South Beach, in part, on the strength of the water weight loss.

That may have been the most foolish statement I have ever read on an internet board dedicated to weight loss or fitness.

Seriously, who cares about water weight loss.

wrestlers right before the weigh-in for a match...other than that, no one.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I can't believe someone is suggesting water weight is a success (well, actually I can)

Why not advise people to sit in a sauna for an hour a day? That will drop water faster than a low carb diet will...

Ya, I wish I had MFP back when I was in the military and was doing stupid stuff like sauna-ing to drop water weight for weigh-ins.

I still see Sailors doing this. And then ending up in medical.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I know this is a couple of weeks old, but wanted to reply to clarify a few things

First: The post suggesting a high fat diet to the OP, then saying do South Beach...ummm NO. The ORIGINAL South Beach diet was NOT a high fat diet (nor is it now).
    It is also not a low carb diet. It IS a low added sugar diet.

It's based around plenty of vegetables, LEAN meats, legumes, some low fat dairy, some full fat dairy, healthy fats (olives, nuts, seeds, avocados etc.) and lower sugar fruits, and whole grains. Snacks are encouraged. Dessert and/or red wine if that's your thing, are also.

Not high fat, and now low carb.

It IS an approach that focuses on the glycemic IMPACT of foods and food combinations and suggests that if we can get our blood sugars under control, compliance for weight loss is easier.

While the name is kinda "faddy", in that it was insanely popular there for a while, the approach to eating certainly isn't. In fact, if someone were starting at ZERO in terms of nutrition etc. and wanted to start learning how to eat for life in an easy and sustainable way, that's pretty much where I'd tell them to start, and then tweak and learn.

If my loved one was told their blood glucose levels were iffy, pre diabetic etc. or that they triglyceride numbers they didn't like and they lived on packaged convenience foods etc., I'd say start with South Beach, learn some stuff, and figure out what works for them.

Is it necessary for the average person wanting to lose weight? Clearly not, as hundreds of thousands of MFPers, or more have lost weight here without it. Is it inherently flawed as an approach to eating for weight loss and for life? Hardly. Is it easy? For folks who don't really relish weighing and measuring everything, and can *somewhat* eat intuitively, at least "eat until you're not hungry", it can be an easier thing. It really depends.

There are folks who want to eat what they want to eat, and can, or aim to, stop at a given calorie allotment.
    There are folks who want guidance in what to eat. And folks who hate calorie counting.
    None is better than the other, I'd say.

Again, these comments are based on the original South Beach diet that ultimately got turned into a couple of books and cookbooks etc, then got sold by the cardiologist who created it to nutrisystems. I'd like to hope THEY will learn from IT, but I'm assuming they are going to use it to create their latest packaged stuff that teaches folks NOTHING.

Is it inherently bad because someone made money off of it? NO. I think it's absurd to say that if someone's selling it it's a sham. Even Lyle McDonald SELLS his books and services etc.

Final thoughts: As with many formal diets: I'd bet 50-75% of the people who "did" South Beach diet once, never read the book, or the reasoning behind the approach. I say that based on the number of people who call it a "low carb diet" or, heck a "high fat diet" and based on the number of people who say they are "doing atkins" by "eating no carbs" or "eating meat, cheese and bacon".

And, on a personal note, I lost the bulk of my weight with the SB diet principles in mind (when Dr. Agatston was making the rounds, long before the books etc. I heard him on NPR while I was losing weight and thought: hey, that makes sense for me...and so I incorporated many of those principles into my approach. And, when the book came out I READ IT and his phase three "how to eat for life" informed my own "how to eat for life". I've kept my weight off, while being a total foodie for FOURTEEN years.

Now, in menopause, I'm using the same principles, outlined in several well know menopause books to assist in my symptoms. SAME BASIC GIST.

TL;DR The ORIGINAL South beach isn't high fat, nor low carb, not sure where that info came from, nor is it a goofy fad diet. It's protein and veg, it's legumes, nuts seeds, lower sugar fruits, dairy and whole grains. Nothing goofy there. just real food.

cheers

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,303 Member
    Options
    I recommend not to weigh yourself.. Just eat right and keep working out .. it will come off. The scale will discourage you before you even get started. You have to get your body into the groove.. you just started! Give yourself a break and your fitness plan chance.