FRUSTRATED

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Don't starve. Experiment to see what mix of macros will help you with satiety. Generally, protein, fat, and fiber help with feeling full longer so you might want to eat a higher percentage of those than you currently do.

You don't have to do everything at once. Baby steps. Start by just logging what you normally eat and then go back through to see where you might eat smaller portions and/or substitute some calorie-dense foods that you like with different foods that you also like.

1.2 pounds are 1.2 pounds. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

This chart has some helpful advice:

wyt2v336xrr1.jpg

How many times am I going to see this chart?

If you want to jump-start your weight loss, meaning you will lose lots of water weight, I suggest a very high-fat, no sugar and no grain diet. Phase I of the South Beach Diet is suggested to get you started. There are many others out there that are similar.

This a good summary of the two-week plan:

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/diets/south-beach-diet-sample-meal-plan

CICO, SCHMICO. The fact is, you will lose much more weight in two weeks on this eating regimen, than you will lose doing some generic CICO diet, even if you eat the EXACT same amount of calories. It doesn't matter if it's "only" water weight. Weight is weight.

And if you have an issue with blood sugars, it will bring your levels down.

You could lose up to ten pounds in two weeks, as opposed to losing (hopefully) two pounds counting calories. And if you really like the diet, you could do it for another two weeks.

You might hate this diet, but it's worth a try. Good luck.

Most people will not stick to a diet that they hate. I know I couldn't. After a while I got sick of forcing myself to eat food that I hate which is why I gained all of my weight and then some back.

Also, I would much rather lose fat than just water weight that's going to come back after I take a sip of water.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Don't starve. Experiment to see what mix of macros will help you with satiety. Generally, protein, fat, and fiber help with feeling full longer so you might want to eat a higher percentage of those than you currently do.

You don't have to do everything at once. Baby steps. Start by just logging what you normally eat and then go back through to see where you might eat smaller portions and/or substitute some calorie-dense foods that you like with different foods that you also like.

wyt2v336xrr1.jpg

If you want to jump-start your weight loss, meaning you will lose lots of water weight, I suggest a very high-fat, no sugar and no grain diet. Phase I of the South Beach Diet is suggested to get you started. There are many others out there that are similar.

CICO, SCHMICO. The fact is, you will lose much more weight in two weeks on this eating regimen, than you will lose doing some generic CICO diet, even if you eat the EXACT same amount of calories. It doesn't matter if it's "only" water weight. Weight is weight.

You could lose up to ten pounds in two weeks, as opposed to losing (hopefully) two pounds counting calories. And if you really like the diet, you could do it for another two weeks.

Most people will not stick to a diet that they hate. I know I couldn't. After a while I got sick of forcing myself to eat food that I hate which is why I gained all of my weight and then some back.

Also, I would much rather lose fat than just water weight that's going to come back after I take a sip of water.

Yes, I know most people won't stick to a diet they hate. That's why I said you might hate this diet but it's worth a try. The implication is that if the OP hated it, he/she would not stick with it. WORTH A TRY.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    bbordner wrote: »
    Or they can go on a fad diet that is unsustainable in the long term, give up, and gain back even more because they overindulge in the "forbidden" foods.

Fad diet? Well for many, eating eggs and dairy, and meat, and poultry, and fish, and nuts, and avocados, and green veggies, is not exactly a "fad."
  • gonetothedogs19
    edited August 2016
    Options

wyt2v336xrr1.jpg

Until everyone who states they can't lose weight has seen it.

All the rest of your statement is woo bunk. Why would I want to eat a diet I hate (set up for failure!), when I can just CICO?

You won't know you hate it until you tried it, correct? As of CICO, how many posts do I have to read here from people who failed at it. Obviously, finding that magical point where you are in a "caloric deficit" is not that easy. Nor is counting, measuring and weighing every little morsel of food you eat, and beverage you drink.

To someone who needs to lose a lot of weight, I would definitely suggest South Beach Phase I, over counting, weight and measuring, counting weighing and measuring, day after day, week after week, all of which could result in a whopping 1.2 pound weight loss in two weeks (like the OP).

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

wyt2v336xrr1.jpg

All the rest of your statement is woo bunk. Why would I want to eat a diet I hate (set up for failure!), when I can just CICO?

You won't know you hate it until you tried it, correct? As of CICO, how many posts do I have to read here from people who failed at it. Obviously, finding that magical point where you are in a "caloric deficit" is not that easy. Nor is counting, measuring and weighing every little morsel of food you eat, and beverage you drink.

To someone who needs to lose a lot of weight, I would definitely suggest South Beach Phase I, over counting, weight and measuring, counting weighing and measuring, day after day, week after week, all of which could result in a whopping 1.2 pound weight loss in two weeks (like the OP).

I found it very easy. I eat around 1960 calories per day. TDEE for me is ~2200-2300 calories. Use a food scale, which is simpler than any other "trick" I've tried, and viola, weight loss!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

wyt2v336xrr1.jpg

And you never answered @LazSommer. How much weight have you lost?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I take issue with labeling South Beach a fad diet, it's based on choosing good healthful foods. Seems pretty nutritionally sound to me. Unfortunately it's been bought out by Nutrisystems, and I think they're going in the direction of prepackaged meals. So much for South Beach. I found I need the calorie counting as well as better food choices and behavioral changes. Beware of anyone on here who claims there's one way to success.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

wyt2v336xrr1.jpg

Okay, so I eat LCHF and I still take a bit of issue with what you wrote.

I find that I still need to be very mindful of what and how much I'm eating with everything except low cal/high fibre veggies or I will go over on my calories and at a minimum stall/plateau. The minimum for me is weighing or measuring very calorie dense items, which tends to mean the fats I incorporate on a daily basis.

Also, it's unfair to suggest eating this way to people who haven't done the research. Because just adding carbs back in once reaching goal will result in regaining--both water and fat. It's a diet that needs to be maintained at least to some extent for life.

Oh, and eating this way I am averaging about 1-1.5 lbs lost per week (aka exactly what MFP tells me I will lose with my current deficit), because I'm 5 months past the induction phase so the big drops are a thing of the past (not south beach though-- I follow Tim Noakes' meal plan (green/orange/red lists) with a very large grain of salt and aim for 50g net carbs).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

wyt2v336xrr1.jpg

Am I remembering rightly that you also tried to advocate people just eating prepackaged pre-portioned meals as a "simpler" way to track calories, regardless of what their current food preferences are?

honestly, everything you suggest to simplify the process would actually make it a lot more difficult for me. South Beach? So I'd have to look it up, buy specific foods etc whereas how I have done this from the start, just eating what I always eat but weighing my portions and making the odd tweak here and there, has been nothing but simplicity itself. 50lbs of simple and counting. Such failure.
  • gonetothedogs19
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @gonetothedogs19 , why come to a calorie counting site and then bash calorie counting?

Not bashing calorie counting, weighing and measuring at all. It works very well for a few people.

Just like a plant-based vegan diet works very well for a few people.

But the vast majority of people will not count, weigh and measure food, just like the vast majority of people will not give up eating meat, poultry, fish, dairy and eggs.

Therefore, alternatives need to be explored. And if you fail at calorie counting, Phase I of South Beach (or other similar diets) could be a nice alternative (I said could be, because within two days, there are people who would hate it).

Full disclosure - I have met a few plant-based vegans, but have never met a calorie counter.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs the first week, nada the second week. Don't get discouraged, just keep going. You will sometimes stall or gain instead of lose, but weight loss isn't linear.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    @gonetothedogs19 , why come to a calorie counting site and then bash calorie counting?

Not bashing calorie counting, weighing and measuring at all. It works very well for a few people.

But the vast majority of people will not count, weigh and measure food, just like the vast majority of people will not give up eating meat, poultry, fish, dairy and eggs.

Therefore, alternatives need to be explored. And if you fail at calorie counting, Phase I of South Beach (or other similar diets) could be a nice alternative (I said could be, because within two days, there are people who would hate it).

Full disclosure - I have met a few plant-based vegans, but have never met a calorie counter.

You also are trying to sell phase 1 of the South Beach, in part, on the strength of the water weight loss.

That may have been the most foolish statement I have ever read on an internet board dedicated to weight loss or fitness.

Seriously, who cares about water weight loss.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

You also are trying to sell phase 1 of the South Beach, in part, on the strength of the water weight loss.

That may have been the most foolish statement I have ever read on an internet board dedicated to weight loss or fitness.

Seriously, who cares about water weight loss.

Are you kidding? You weigh 175 and you are trying to get to 125. You do two or three weeks of South Beach Phase I (or the equivalent) and now you are 165. The alternate is to just count calories, and now you weight 173. I think most people would be thrilled with the 165. It's called a jump start your weight loss.

And if you can stick with it, it's terrific, because you eliminate high-calorie junk food (cookies, smoothies, chips, ice cream, cake, fruit juice pretzels, etc.) from your diet, making it much easier to lose weight.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options

It' actually somewhat of a ketogenic lifestyle, which is fantastic, if you like it and can stick with it. That's a big if. For some, it's hard to give up grains and refined sugars.