No laughing please!!

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP, Congrats on making the decision to run. And you've received some great advice above. I echo the "build distance slowly" and "run at a conversational pace" advice. Just keep going....and you will soon be very pleased with how running makes you feel. Good luck.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    jdawson002 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I'm fairly new to exercise and yesterday I managed to jog 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.....no laughing please!!!

Anyway it got me thinking, as I'm solely trying to lose weight, should I be looking to jog faster or to jog further? or both?

Thanks

I don't find that remotely funny and I consider laughing my very favorite hobby.
  • yogaski83
    yogaski83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If your objective is to lose weight, I would suggest throwing in periods of a faster pace during your runs. Since you are just starting out, maybe this means to do a walk/run combo for 20 minutes, then keep increasing the time of your workout. I started running again after recovering from an injury; and started out by walking for 5 minutes, then running for 5. My first workout was a total of 20 minutes, and I increased by 10 minutes every week. I always found that spiking my heart rate during runs helps me burn the most calories. I throw in 1 minute sprints every 5 or so minutes, but I'm kind of insane and love the feeling of sprinting. I know everyone is different though, so you need to figure what works best for you and what will keep you motivated over the long haul.

PS probably more people are envious of you than are laughing at you :)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I suggest you take it easy and run slow even if you feel you can run faster. If you do too much too soon, you will find yourself sitting on the sideline with an injury.

Running produces a lot of stress on the body. And being a bigger guy makes each step on the pavement that much more stressful. It is best to ease your body into the stress of running.

In my opinion, it would be good to start with a 3 day week running schedule ( e.g. Monday, Wednesday, Friday) Do the 1.5 miles at a slow, controlled pace each day. Keep that same distance for about 3 weeks and then try increasing the running session by 1 mile. And after you have been running consistently for 5 - 6 months, add another day of running to your schedule, if time permits.

It is ok if you don't feel winded and tired after your run. Most of your runs should leave you feeling as if you could have done more.

In my opinion, speed sessions are not something that beginners need to be doing.

While running can assist with weight loss, weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Why would I laugh? Honestly, I came to your post so I could read something funny and laugh..Ugh.. no laughter here.. darn.. well.. anyways, your speed is faster than mine.. I run a mile in 12 to 13 minutes.. so don't laugh at me.. or do I don't care. :)
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    should I be looking to jog faster or to jog further? or both?

Here is the laugh - you should run, not "jog".
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You should be looking to count your calories religiously and use exercise to create a larger deficit to allow a larger nutrient intake by being able to consume more calories whilst still in a deficit.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!

I may try slowing down a little and then doing 1 minute bursts of faster running as suggested.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Dawson. Dude. C'mon now. Anyone who laughs at another's relative fitness level has serious, I mean SERIOUS mental/emotional problems. You are kicking *kitten* and taking charge of your body in a positive way. You got this, brother.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For a beginner, that's pretty awesome. My first day, I was struggling at a minute and a half of running... I was so proud of myself for that minute and a half too, as otherwise, I'd have carried on doing nothing. I can run for an hour and a half now, around your pace or slower, and I've been at this 8 months.. :smile: Well done you:
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Isn't it terrific that we have the benefit of others' experience here? -- people who've been around the block ahead of us? I hope you absorbed from comments above that what really matters is that you suit up, get your buns out there, and do *something* -- not so much how fast you do it. Remember that he most beneficial exercise is your next one. So, as DetroitDarin aptly said above, "You got this, brother".

I began running early last year -- okay, mostly walking. I did six or eight miles three times per week, gradually increasing the running part. These days it's five or six miles three to five days per week, and I still vary my gait and speed. The high school track is nearby, so I can sprint safely. I happen to be a data junkie, so I do track my performance, and I'm always competing with myself.

Injuries are very, very disruptive, and as we age, we recover more slowly. Do be careful out there!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    You're doing fantastic!
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Start here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You've done a great job taking the first step. C25K will help put a little structure around your workouts and give you a base of fitness to run longer and faster. My advice - take it slow. Happy running!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You are doing great!

C25K is a really good suggestion.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Excellent start.

The best way to learn to run faster, is to run further. And to do that you may have to slow down. Endurance builds a better runner, and speed comes later. I wouldn't worry about adding sprints in at this point, work on going faster.

The suggestion of a structured programme such as c25k is a good one. It helps you build distance, and gets you running continuously. If the reason you only ran 2.05 miles in your last run is that you didn't feel you could run any more, then you are pushing too fast and ripe for injury. Injury will destroy all the good things you've achieved.

It's hard at first to stick to a programme, especially on the good days where you want to just run and run, but play the long game. Using a programme gives measurable progress - you won't need to be asking others if this is good, because you'll KNOW it was good - it felt good, it was better than last time, and it's repeatable.

Go for it.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I'm fairly new to exercise and yesterday I managed to jog 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.....no laughing please!!!

Anyway it got me thinking, as I'm solely trying to lose weight, should I be looking to jog faster or to jog further? or both?

Thanks

You should be looking to lift weights and quit jogging all together
  • lenalovestofish
    lenalovestofish Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    1.5 in 15? I would be laying on the ground huffing and puffing
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Brother, first off, that is a 10 minute mile (6mph) not too shabby! Now keep in mind when running you should be able to hold a conversation, except for speed work outs of course. Once you can comfortably run your distance for two weeks, then you can up your distance but only by 10%. I am a bit older and my coach says quality runs over quantity, so no runs for 2 days of a hard run. I use a "9 day" routine and it has worked great for me. Plenty of rest, and on my "non-run" days, I bike. My speeds have improved as well as my distance and NO injuries! I actually look forward to my run days instead of "just doing them".