September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I ended up not having time yesterday for my run so I'm shifting it to Thursday. Here's today's run. Unfortunately, the heat/humidity is coming back (we had a nice little respite, it was wonderful), today was about 80 degrees, heat index 84, 60% humidity, sunny.

hx43gwrzv6xv.jpg

Upcoming Races:
    South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11
    Adirondacks Distance Festival ½ Marathon – 9/25
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
    Bay of Fundy ½ Marathon – 6/25/17
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    06/09 3 miles not all running but took same effort
    07/09 3 miles, I'm going to call it a recovery run as that's what it was for me! ;)

@WhatMeRunning - Sorry to read you have had to pull bad on your races- speedy recovery!

exercise.png

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've been really busy this week, so I haven't had a chance to read up on everyone's movements. Hope you're all doing well.

Those of you with injuries, I hope you heal well and quickly. Those of you with awesome achievements, WAY TO GO! :smiley:

exercise.png

1/9: 5.74 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    2/9: REST (hungover from the wedding the day before :wink:)
    3/9: 20.43 km + 20 mins yoga
    4/9: REST
    5/9: REST
    6/9: Life but walked all over
    7/9: 5.48 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises

Current PR: 5K in 32:50 / 10K in 1:17:18 / 20K 2:45:11

Races:

24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    9/1 13 mile run
    9/2 off day
    9/3 23 mile run
    9/4 off day
    9/5 10 mile run
    9/6 15 mile run
    9/7 11.4 mile run
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @BasicGreatGuy that's an insane amount of running. I am envious.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Welcome @LastMinuteMama

@WhatMeRunning Sorry that you had to step down your 2 races that you had registered for.

@5512bf That's funny.

@KatieJane83 I didn't know they were replacing the Tappan Zee. I've only gone over it a couple of times.
    I been over the GWB and Goethals Bridge and Outer Bridge many many times.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much info you get when you ask questions lol. I hear the resident physician won't talk for more than 5 seconds, we chatted for a while and I got all my questions answered. Also had long talk with physical therapist, brought a box of chocolates for the nurses, they love me now lol.

Thanks again for the support all!

Great that progress has been made! Wishing your mother a speedy recovery!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    9/01 ..... 3.2
    9/02 ........... Rest
    9/03 ..... 3.3
    9/04 ........... Rest
    9/05 ........... Hiked 6 miles
    9/06 ........... Walked 6 miles with a friend
    9/07 ..... 2.3 Easy run then walked

It turned out that the hike on Monday was more of a workout than I thought it was. I forgot that I was running downhill, trying to catch up with my kid on the way back. I woke up the following day with DOMS on my thighs... I thought I might be able to go on an easy run this morning but they still hurt...

exercise.png
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    4.5 very hot and sticky miles tonight.

Total so far =8 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I am so glad you were able to get your questions answered without having to beat the doctor to a pulp or tie him down to get him to talk to you! Give the @skippygirlsmomsmom a hug and a big get well from all of us!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 6 miles
    9/6: 6 miles
    9/7: Rest day 4 miles

I ended up having to do tomorrow morning's run tonight because my advisor sucks and still hasn't submitted my "successful defense" paperwork, so I have to go in to work at 7:30 AGAIN tomorrow so that I can actually go to the library to deliver my thesis after my advisor submits the paperwork. Really pissed about this, because he was supposed to submit this form yesterday right after my defense and I planned my work hours today around having to make a trip to the library (which closes at 4:15; that's so early!). But now I have to rearrange my runs, go into work way too early again tomorrow, and hope and pray he sends it in. Because all of this is due Friday, or else I have to wait three more months for a diploma. I am not amused.

So after the advisor debacle and an annoying day at work, I got home, put on my running shoes and did a speedwork session called "running angry." I think I am getting to the point where I've been running low mileage for too long and I am excessively irritable. Hopefully once I get back into the 40-50 mile range next week, I'll stop being such a *kitten*.

Tl;dr: Today was crap and my run was fast and I can't wait to shut the door on today and wake up fresh tomorrow!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Health Network Via Half-Marathon
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    @BasicGreatGuy that's an insane amount of running. I am envious.
    You will get to a lot of long miles soon enough. ;) Keep thinking good running thoughts.

Too bad you aren't local. I could use a running partner, especially on my long run day (Saturday).
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    September running challenge. Goal: was 40km but I upped it to 80km running for month.

exercise.png

9/1...Cross train day: 30 min on my recumbent bike in the morning, 4km power walk at lunch, 30 abdominal crunches at night.
    9/2...30 min run before work (just over 4 km), 40 minute recumbent bike at work. 49 minutes strength training.
    9/3...12km long run. Previous longest run was 5km. Walked another 5.7km with my husband at rib fest in the afternoon. I blew past my previous mileage....looks like I set my bar too low for the month...
    9/4...rest day for running. Walked 5km with my dog and walked up the Chedoke stairs once (300 stairs or 30 flights of stairs).
    9/5...5km interval run, including running drills for 5 min. Walked 16km in the afternoon with my husband.
    9/6...cross train day. 45 min on recumbent bike at lunch. Ran 1.5km on treadmill to warm up in evening followed by 30 min strength training focus on arms. Walked dogs for 1.5km.
    9/7...4.31km hill repeats. 10% grade (I think?). Run up hills. Combination of jog down or walk down. Updated my monthly running goal from 40km to 80km. 0.67 km run to warm up my muscles before stretching for baseball.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    9/1 – 10.07 warmup + tempo intervals
    9/2 – 7.76 partial course preview
    9/3 – 3.80 easy 30 minutes
    9/4 – 15.44 warmup + Oak Tree Half
    9/5 – 4.52 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    9/6 – 6.72 warmup + speed work
    9/7 – 4.04 easy

September total to date – 52.35

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Manage Rochester Marathon well as a race, recover quickly.

Today's notes – Heat and humidity returned today. I felt too beat up to run in the morning before it got hot, so I figured I'd go to the Wednesday group run and let peer pressure get me going. As far as that went, the strategy worked. Set out with the 6-7 mile group in high humidity at 91º F (33º C). Yeah, that's too far for the training plan assignment of 40 minutes easy, and I should be in early taper now . . .

It was clear within the first mile that this wasn't working for me, and 6 miles was a not particularly good idea today. So I found a place to turn where I knew the way back, and let the leader know I was cutting it short. Stayed on mostly shady, non-technical trails while I could, and ran to get 30 minutes in. When I got back to the store I was over 30 minutes but a bit short of 4 miles; so it was the classic OCD run around the parking lot to get 4 miles in.

4.04 miles in 32:41 was enough for today. I was mindful of the fact that I ran a tough half marathon on Sunday, I want to stay healthy, and there are a lot of cautionary tales on this board. So let's not push for the arbitrary 40 minutes when the shorter 4 miles feels like enough.

Think about this a bit, and realize that today was my 8th consecutive running day, and I have an MP interval run tomorrow. That's 9 days in a row. It might have been smarter to take today as a total rest day; but what's done is done. The plan for Friday says Off or 30 min. easy; I'll take Friday off. Just because I have all the time in the world now doesn't mean I have all the energy in the world.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    October 2, 2016 USATF Masters 5K Championship (Syracuse, NY)
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY)
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 that sounds like a serious workout. So I take it they just took on every set of stairs they ran by? Interesting idea. Not sure I could do that at the moment, but I will probably look at my surroundings differently for a while.
    Basically, yes. But in addition, it was multiples on each set of stairs. So with the Catholic church (which has their stairs subdivided into 3 sections by sets of handrails), it was up the far left hand side to the top, and then down by that handrail, and up the other side of it to the top, and down the next, etc.

The parking deck has 3 floors, so we ran up the stairs to the top, down thru the deck to the floor, and back up to the top, then did pushups (or whatever), then down one flight and back up, then down 2 flights and back up, then down to the bottom where the wall at the ground varies from about a 4-foot drop to about a 8-foot drop, so you choose your poison, and do some parkour. And then back around to jump the wall 4 or 5 times.\

Like I said. BEAST.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    In other news, I don't have any toenails falling off yet, but I have a fingernail that is. I slammed it while changing a water cooler tank and it got all black. It was like that for weeks, and now it's showing signs of getting loose. Not sure what to do about it, since it's only like half falling off and the other half is pretty stuck on. Any black toenail veterans have any advice? :smile:

I just kept my toenail in socks, and tried to make sure it wouldn't snag on anything, and eventually it all came loose.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just stopping in real quick. Man is this thread active this month, way to go everyone! And thanks for all the well-wishes and excitement that I was able to ditch the crutches and add some cardio! @kristinegift and @katharmonic - I'm doing my PhD in physics, going into my 3rd year now! Things are a little weird for me (usually you'd get all the classes out of the way in 2 years) because I'm specializing in biophysics, but the university I'm at doesn't have very many classes that are particularly applicable so it's messed up my schedule. Definitely looking forward to being able to focus on my research more once the semester is over! Also, CONGRATS @kristinegift !!! What an awesome accomplishment, you should definitely be very proud!

Hit the gym today for 30 minutes on the elliptical. I was hoping to do a little more but god indoor cardio is like torture -_- and some people think running outside is boring! Afterwards I hopped on the treadmill to do some brisk(ish) walking. The plan was to do a max of 10 minutes, but stop early if I felt even a hint of a twinge in my shin. I felt the tiniest little ache 6.5 minutes in and stopped the treadmill immediately. At least I know where I am right now. I'll try again in two days and hopefully I'll be able to make it a little longer! Finished the workout with some stretching and my core routine. Man I am going to have some rock hard abs, hips, and glutes by the time I'm back to running again!

8/06: bike- 5 min easy, 10x(2 min hard/1 min easy), 5 min easy + core
    8/07: 30 min steady state, elliptical + 6.5 min walk (3.4 mph) + core