September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @lporter229 @mom3over40 @5512bf I organize my training blocks in 24 weeks from now on. Means I get to have 2 of them in one year which keeps me busy. After a key race like after I recover I jump straight back into base building for one or two months until I get close (12-18 weeks) to another key race. I find it keeps me going to have a long term goal. So far I have 2017 planned already. I think this is also how serious runners do it. They split the year into two and have 6 months blocks that include base building, training, racing and recovery. I plan to always take a few weeks break after any key race, so about 2 times per year where I run really low easy mileage just to give my body a chance to heal better from all that abuse I put it through

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

September 1 - 12.8km - Tempo&Reps/4:20, 3:30
    September 2 - 7.7 km - Easy/6:00
    September 3 - 6.1 km - Easy/6:30
    September 4 - 17.2km - MP/4:35
    September 5 - rest
    September 6 - 8.0 km - Easy/6:05
    September 7 - 8.9 km - Easy/5:40
    September 8 - 17.2km - Tempo/4:25

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Sep  1     0.0      0.0 
    Sep  2     6.5      6.5 
    Sep  3     4.3     10.8 
    Sep  4     5.1     15.9
    Sep  6     4.3     20.2
    Sep  8     5.1     25.3

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 - Lots of good comments on recovery already. I'd add that you want to be more conservative about recovery from any run that is either a new distance record for you, or equal to the longest you've ever run. At least, be conservative until you've done enough runs like that to be familiar with how you recover.

As others note, it may also depend on how hard you've been training in general. A 20K run at the end of week with peak running distance will need more recovery than a 20K run at the end of a week with average running distance. "Peak" and "average" here refer to your training history, not any book standard. How much of the weekly distance has been run hard may also be a factor. A 5K at race pace beats you up much more than a 5K easy run, and if that long run is in a week when you also raced you will likely need more recovery than if it is in a week where you didn't race and didn't do any strenuous speed work.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    9/1 – 10.07 warmup + tempo intervals
    9/2 – 7.76 partial course preview
    9/3 – 3.80 easy 30 minutes
    9/4 – 15.44 warmup + Oak Tree Half
    9/5 – 4.52 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    9/6 – 6.72 warmup + speed work
    9/7 – 4.04 easy
    9/8 – 7.18 warmup + intervals

September total to date – 59.53

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Manage Rochester Marathon well as a race, recover quickly.

Today's notes – The recent theme here seems to be injuries, recovery, and injury prevention. Today may be illustrative. The marathon training plan assignment was 30 minutes easy, 20 minutes MP, 30 minutes easy. After my 2 mile warmup and the general club meeting, I talked to Coach. Told him what the assignment was, told him I thought I could do it but I wasn't sure it was wise in light of having run a half marathon rather hard last Sunday. He told me to cut it in half - 15 minutes easy, 10 minutes MP, 15 minutes easy. So that's what I did.

I ended up feeling like I had a reasonable workout, and not burned out. That's why I have a coach; sometimes I need an outside opinion about what the smart thing to do is. Since my coach is the guy who wrote the training plan, and he has a ton of experience with athletes training for multiple races on a variety of schedules, he can come up with an appropriate adjustment to the plan really quickly. Then that adjustment turns out to be just the thing I need.

I've now run 9 days in a row. Tomorrow will be a rest day. The plan has the option to run 30 minutes, but I'm supposed to be in mid-taper. I need the rest more than the miles. I don't need Coach to tell me this, I can figure this one out on my own.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    October 2, 2016 USATF Masters 5K Championship (Syracuse, NY)
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY)
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    Thank you all for the great tips and advice! I truly appreciate it!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @sparklyglitterbomb - nice job so far and congrats on the new fastest mile/average pace! I like the #teamsnail too XD keep it up and you'll have to change it to #teamcheetah!
    Happy birthday @TattooedDolphinGirl78 and @karllundy !!

I'm not sure if it was the walking or elliptical yesterday, but I woke up this morning and could feel a little something in my shin. Not pain or tenderness, I was just aware of it, if that makes sense. Decided to play things extra safe and skip the gym today. This way my legs will be extra fresh for tomorrow when I attack that bike again :sweat_smile:

8/06: bike- 5 min easy, 10x(2 min hard/1 min easy), 5 min easy + core
    8/07: 30 min steady state, elliptical + 6.5 min walk (3.4 mph) + core
  • libelulla1
    libelulla1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    9/1 3.0 mi (6mph avg, fastest in months)
    9/4 5.1 mi
    9/5 3.2 mi (sprints)
    9/7 3.1 mi
    9/9 3.2 mi

Goal: 50 mi
    Total: 17.6 mi
    32.4 to go
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If you check out the renderings in the Gallery section here you can see what it's supposed to look like, should be pretty sweet. newnybridge.com/

@KatieJane83 Thanks for the link! Love the look of that bridge.

@5512bf What's the reasoning behind pausing your timer on breaks? I rarely do, because I think it counts as part of the run time, since it's giving you a rest and a boost, and if you paused, it would artificially better your time.

Not calling you out. I'm hoping others will chime in too.

I'm sure there's more for me to learn on the topic. Cheers.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/8: 3.29 miles
    A much needed and great run tonight. I was a ball of stress from work and getting ready to go out of town tomorrow morning. My long-lost run buddy who has been out of town was finally back and since I'm about to leave we ran tonight as our chance to catch up. We had a ton to talk about so the whole thing went quickly and felt great. In fact we had planned only 30 minutes but didn't turn around soon enough because we were so busy talking that we ended up with a 42 minute run. It got really dark at the end and was not a great choice on the trail so lesson learned there. Seems like sunset is getting earlier at a scarily fast rate.

Heading to Boston tomorrow. It's supposed to be 90 degrees there tomorrow but then get a lot cooler over the weekend. Hopefully the forecast chance for rain/thunderstorms over the weekend will be minimal. I am bringing more running clothes than clothes for my work meeting - priorities!

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 6 miles
    9/6: 6 miles
    9/7: Rest day 4 miles
    9/8: 3.2 miles with Thursday crew!

Great group run tonight! It was a Pub run, and I'm tapering, so I did one loop (in 90+ degree weather, ugh!) and then headed right to the bar for a nice hefeweisen and a giant burger. Hung out at the running store for an hour before the run and at the bar for another 3-4 hours because my house has no AC and the overnights are still in the 70s this week. This can be filed under #1 reason I can't wait for fall to arrive! At this point I may be more excited about my race this weekend because it means I'm sleeping in an air-conditioned hotel room, more than I'm excited about the race itself!

exercise.png

@louubelle16 It did get sorted, mostly. He said the dept admin will sign FOR him and email me the signed scan tomorrow (still three days late... ugh). Which means a third day in a row of going to work early & leaving early, but this time actually having errands to run when I get home at 10-to-4. Way to wait til the last minute! I am going to be turning in my forms as people leave their offices on a Friday. Grrrrrrr.

Upcoming Races:
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Health Network Via Half-Marathon
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @dianefogel1 That's what we call Great Progress. From a 5 min Struggle to a 20 min Cruiser. The Bad-Good News :) You are addicted to running - it shows in the
    Missed my run or even a walk yesterday because I was running in other ways all day long! I felt like something was missing!

@RespectTheKitty - A Finger is tough as it always seems to find something to Hook on or Bang into. Hope it Doesn't Hurt. If you have to protect it buy a cheap Finger Splint from a Drug Store/Pharmacy and if anyone asks - Just Smile and Wink then walk away.

@mbaker566 Glad to see you getting some Quality Shoe Time in.

Happy Birthday @TattooedDolphinGirl78 and @karllundy! Have a great day.
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 I have nothing to add about Recovery Time after a new PB Distance. Good Job BTW.
    All I can say is don't copy me. After my HM in April the Gang I was with went out for a little Hike in the Mountains 8-10km and then I went Downhill skiing for 2 days. Not your normal Rest Recovery plan.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was driving from Job site to Job Site all day so didn't get back home until just after 8:00pm.
    Threw the running gear on and took off. Pretty much a duplicate of my last 2 Run's with the caveat that I did not take into consideration that the Sun was setting when I left home so before I got to my first turn at km 3 I was running in the dark - of course my 2 Running Headlamps were both Safely Hanging on the Coat Hooks beside my backdoor. Parts of the Trail have lots of tree cover so they were pitch black. Lots of the Trail receives light from the backside of the Streetlights spilling through the trees. So it was a bit of a challenge / test of trail confidence.

8 km Along the Riverbank Trails. Managed to throw in some Fartlek Speed sessions on the return loop.
    1 Streetlight Cruising, 1 Streetlight Flying 75% perceived effort
    1 Streetlight Cruising, 2 Streetlights Flying 85%
    1 streetlight Cruising, 2 streetlights Flying 100%
    Then 3 cycles alternating between 1/1 @ 75% and 1/2 @ 100%
    Finished hard on 2@100% and felt like I still had Juice in the tank.
    Knocked a minute off my Tuesday night Time, close enough to my previous PB of 5:29/km that I am :D .

09/01 – 0.0 km – 0.0 - 140 km – YTD 842.7 km
    09/04 – 8.0 km – 8.0 – 132.0 km
    09/06 – 8.0 km – 16.0 – 126.0 km – YTD 858.7 km 45:50 ~ 5:44/km.
    09/08 – 8.0 km – 24.0 – 118.0 km – YTD 866.7 km 44:37 ~ 5:34/km.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday @TattooedDolphinGirl78 and @karllundy! Hope you both have a great day! The 7th was my daughter's birthday!
    @ariceroni - we have a very good friend with a PhD in Bio Physics who is now a professor in No Carolina. Let me know if you need any help/advice.

I had a really good run today considering I had a terrible cramp in my calf (stepping off a curb!) not long after I started. I rubbed it out, stretched a bit and got the run in. Stretched and rolled when I got home but after sitting in a meeting for an hour, it was incredibly sore. I wore my Skoras with the least mileage on them but still nearly 600 miles, coincidence? I don't know but my heel is very sore again too. It is clear I need new shoes and cannot wear the Skoras any longer :(
    Had training tonight and focused on upper body since my leg is still so sore. I will roll it out as instructed but I am SO angry with myself for letting it get to this point. On top of all of this I ordered my new shoes and accidentally sent them to my daughter in Seattle (last address used). I wanted to get a decent run in them before my HM on the 18th but with them being in Seattle and my travel now to Florida it will be impossible. My husband's reaction to my dilemma - 'just go buy some new running shoes'. Guess I will be hitting the running store tomorrow (don't need to tell me twice!) ! I also may need new sunglasses - mine have these weird tiny bubbles all over them making it difficult to see. Hoping I can just get some new lenses for them.

Date.........Miles........Total
    09/01.......5.23.........5.23 + Strength training and Rally
    09/02.......4.67.........9.90 - SLOG Run
    09/03.......0.00.........9.90 - Rest
    09/04.....13.87.......23.77
    09/05.......5.75.......29.52 - Recovery because it was too lovely out not to go.
    09/06.......4.39.......33.91 + Strength training
    09/07.......0.00.......33.91 - Rest
    09/08.......5.32.......39.23 + Strength training and Rally

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Do treadmill runs count?? I always feel like I'm cheating on the treadmill, even though ironically I find it harder than running outside!

1 September 5.2km
    6 September 6.2km
    9 September 5.3km treadmill due to pouring rain!

Total 16.7km
    Goal 40km
  • ebonibabe1
    ebonibabe1 Posts: 108 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    exercise.png[img]9/8: 2.34 miles. Post run yoga Feeling good, except for a pain in my right calf. I wear compression sleeves during and after my run, helps while running, but, a few hours after, the pain is back. Next run: Saturday.[/img]
  • ebonibabe1
    ebonibabe1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Why does my whole post end up in one big paragraph? When I space it out in different paragraph. I'm a bit ocd about things like that :)
    Actually, I'm ocd about a lot of things
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Do treadmill runs count?? I always feel like I'm cheating on the treadmill, even though ironically I find it harder than running outside!

1 September 5.2km
    6 September 6.2km
    9 September 5.3km treadmill due to pouring rain!

Total 16.7km
    Goal 40km

Treadmill runs absolutely count! Good for you for slogging it out on the dreadmill. I find it harder too, but it does keep my pace steady.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the temps have gone down slightly in Florida this week. It's been great running and it makes me hopeful that the weather will be cooler this winter!
    Biking weekend for me so my run miles will suffer a little.

9/1 - 4.8 miles
    9/2 - strength training
    9/3 - 34 miles biking
    9/4 - 100 KM biking (63 miles).
    9/5 - 45 miles biking
    9/6 - 4 miles run + Strength training
    9/7 - 5.1 miles
    9/8 - rest day (actually avoiding trash day and potential bears) :wink:
    9/9 - 5.0 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM