9/3- 10.03
    9/4- 3.02
    9/5- Rest driving home from visiting family
    9/6- 7.01
    9/7- 7.01
    9/8- 7.17
    9/9- 4.06

Total: 42.43/115

Today's notes: Nice easy recovery run between yesterday's Tempo run and tomorrow's (hopefully) 13 mile Long Run.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    5.5 miles last night. 2.5 with Kody, 3.0 solo. The run felt great and NO calf pain!

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Last night's run. I headed out around 6:45 and it was still 84 degrees and super humid. What I've decided to call a bubble wrap run (when it's so humid nothing evaporates off of you and your skin looks like bubble wrap cause it's covered in actual droplets of sweat), lolz. Still, I felt really awesome, and ended up doing this pretty much as a tempo run. It was a nice boost of mental confidence before Sunday's race.

d684p4ov4bqy.jpg

I wasn't planning on tapering for Sunday's race, South Nyack 10 Miler, because I've been so fixated on building my base mileage and my HM on the 25th, but I think it's going to end up happening just a teeny tiny bit and I'm kinda happy about it. I was planning on another 5 miles today, but with how my schedule has worked out I don't think it's going to happen. So now I'm thinking just to do maybe 3 or so super easy miles tomorrow morning, just to keep loose. I'll only have reduced this week's mileage by 2 miles, but I'll also be running tomorrow's 3 at a much easier pace than originally planned.

I'm also looking to shop for a second pair of running shoes, as I'm going to be doing some serious base mile building after my half, and I've heard it's good to have a couple pairs of different shoes in rotation. Currently, I only have my Brooks Glycerins, which have 275 miles on them. Thoughts on this? Do people find this is truly beneficial to do?

Upcoming races:
    South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11
    Adirondacks Distance Festival ½ Marathon – 9/25
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
    Bay of Fundy ½ Marathon – 6/25/17
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for September
    9/1 9 miles - 9
    9/2 5 miles - 14
    9/3 18 miles - 32
    9/4 REST DAY
    9/5 10.5 miles - 42.5
    9/6 9 miles - 51.5
    9/7 6.2 miles - 57.7
    9/8 10 miles - 67.7
    9/8 6.2 miles - 73.9 << Daily Double
    9/9 6.2 miles - 80.1

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• mrs_madison_keane
    Options
    exercise.png
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    9/1 - 3.6
    9/2 - 6.2
    9/3 - 0
    9/4 -0
    9/5 - 2.6
    9/6 - 4.3
    9/7 - 4.3
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 7 miles
    9/2 - 6 miles
    9/3 - rest day - cross country meet but I noticed I put in about 3.5 miles running all over the course ha ha
    9/4 - 5 awful miles
    9/5 - 5 not as awful miles
    9/6 - 6 still kinda crappy feeling miles
    9/7 - rest day travel to Florida
    9/8 - 13 hours of hospital chair sitting
    9/9 - 7 miles of Oh My Goodness I needed that after ^^ that day LOL

33 out of 115 miles

too lazy to make my ticker on my brother's computer

Sorry I've been absent. I'm going try to catch up today on the thread. :smiley:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @shenry111 - Welcome to the group! I started running at age 55, made it to my first half at age 58 and my first full marathon at 59, so your plans sound quite reasonable to me.

@KatieJane83 - I have 3 pair of shoes in rotation, all of them Saucony Kinvaras. When I found that the Kinvaras worked well for me, I became very reluctant to spend money on some other model that might not do as well. The benefits I see from rotating rather than using the shoes in serial are that they degrade slower, because there are fewer miles put on them; and feeling twinges after running in the white pair that I don't feel after running in the blue or gray pair tells me the white pair is ready for retirement. The aspiration is to retire the shoes before they're bad enough that I injure myself from running in worn out shoes. I don't know how well that would work if the shoes were different models.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    Thanks again for all the input and advice re: recovery after long runs. I went running this morning and things are getting back to normal. :smile:

Happy TGIF!!!

exercise.png

1/9: 5.74 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    2/9: REST (hungover from the wedding the day before)
    3/9: 20.43 km + 20 mins yoga
    4/9: REST
    5/9: REST
    6/9: Life but walked all over
    7/9: 5.48 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    8/9: My Bday!!! 20 mins elliptical + 40 mins yoga + 4.61 km in the evening
    9/9: 5.49 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises

Current PR: 5K in 32:50 / 10K in 1:17:18 / 20K 2:45:11

Races:

24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run
  • Stoshew71
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm also looking to shop for a second pair of running shoes, as I'm going to be doing some serious base mile building after my half, and I've heard it's good to have a couple pairs of different shoes in rotation. Currently, I only have my Brooks Glycerins, which have 275 miles on them. Thoughts on this? Do people find this is truly beneficial to do?

I have about 6-8 pairs on rotation. Now one of those pairs is a shoe that I only wear for trail running and I have 1 pair that I am supposed to use for speed work. But yes, I need multiple pairs. Especially in the summer when a single run will soak my shoes from so much sweat that they need a day or 2 to dry out.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    and feeling twinges after running in the white pair that I don't feel after running in the blue or gray pair tells me the white pair is ready for retirement. The aspiration is to retire the shoes before they're bad enough that I injure myself from running in worn out shoes.

The ones that have higher mileage that may be ready for retirement, I tend to use on my recovery and lower mileage runs. Like my second run in a daily double.

The benefit I see in running with different models is that my feet don't get used to a certain style. I have a random way of picking shoes. I first look at the price tag then I put them on and see if they feel OK. I don't have a "favorite model", even though I tend to gravitate to New Balance, but I actually look for the deals and close outs. In the beginning, my feet (and ankles and shins and etc.) may have had to take some time getting used to a new pair, like little pains and aches. But after having worn so many different type of shoes for almost 3 years now, I think my feet now can run in just about anything without any problems.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Do treadmill runs count?? I always feel like I'm cheating on the treadmill, even though ironically I find it harder than running outside!

Absolutely! My toughest run of the week is usually on the treadmill at a class I go to. Due to the variety of incline and speed work the instructor puts in, it is really challenging. Plus, treadmill runs seem to be mentally the toughest.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/2 -
    9/3 - 6 First Non-stop 6 since I started back to running.
    9/4 -
    9/5 - 3
    9/6 -
    9/7 -
    9/8 - 3

exercise.png

^^ I can't figure out why the ticker won't show my updated miles :(

I was hoping to find an active thread, I guess I need to be careful of what I wish for. Trying to keep up!

@katharmonic - Enjoy running in the world's best city! It looks the the temps are going to drop on Saturday, let's hope the humidity does too!

@emmab0902 - Dreadmill miles should count double, they're brutal!

@shenry111 - Welcome!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Sept 1-5.9 miles + 0.6 miles with puppy
    Sept 2-7.5 miles
    Sept 3- 14 hilly miles
    Sept 4-rest day-long hike
    Sept 5-4.0 miles + 0.6 miles with Stella
    Sept 6-8.0 miles w/ cruise intervals
    Sept 7- rest day (because I needed it!)
    Sept 8- 6 miles hills
    Sept 9- 4.4 miles dreadmill speed work AM

Yesterday I posted that I was looking forward to a possible evening run in the rain. Well, be careful what you wish for. I headed out after work looking to do about 9 miles easy. The sky was darkening, but the forecast said not to expect rain for a few hours. I decided to stay fairly close to my work in case of sudden thunderstorms, which means lots of hilly terrain. I was cruising along comfortably at about 4 miles in when I reached the bottom of a very long hill. I turned a corner and looked up and noticed that the sky was black. Really black. And the winds were really starting to pick up. I decided that I should turn and head back up the hill and get a bit closer to cover. Not even a quarter of a mile up the hill, boom, the skies just opened up and I was pelted with big old drops of rain. The thunder and the winds and the driving rain were my encouragement to hightail it up that 1.5 mile long hill. I ended up getting back to the parking lot at exactly 6 miles. I was going to finish it out after the rain slowed, but I was so soaking wet and miserable that I just went home. I did my planned speed work on the treadmill this morning, and I will probably make up those last couple of miles with an easy recovery run the afternoon. Still hoping to race that 10K tomorrow, but I haven't registered yet. Since it's an evening run, I am kind of waiting on the weather.
    exercise.png

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I've now run 9 days in a row. Tomorrow will be a rest day. The plan has the option to run 30 minutes, but I'm supposed to be in mid-taper. I need the rest more than the miles. I don't need Coach to tell me this, I can figure this one out on my own.

I think that recognizing this is probably one of the hardest yet most critical aspects of successful training and remaining injury free. Good for you.

@shanaber -That's so funny about the shoes!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 4 miles. Weather was beautiful! Had to cut it short because I hit snooze too many times.
    9/2 - Unplanned rest day. Apparently yesterday's snoozing was due to impending illness. First virus of the new school year.
    9/3 - 8.09 mile group run. Again, beautiful weather! Plus, virus seems gone.
    9/4 - Normal rest day. Way overate at family picnic.
    9/5 - 5.06 miles.
    9/6 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class.
    9/7 - 4.03 hot, humid, sticky miles...summer is not over yet!
    9/8 - 5.2 miles at Trek/treadmill class.
    9/9 - Managed to turn off my alarm and oversleep by 2 hours = no run or spin class :-1:
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Just realized I've had 3 rest days already this month...........what a bum. Regarding shoes, as a fairly new runner, I'm beginning to realize the importance of shoes. I switched out a pair of older very light weight running shoes this morning for my new Ghosts and boy did my knee feel better. I was afraid they were a little too large for me but they felt great while running so now I need a new pair of gym shoes because that's where I've been wearing these....LOL

09/01 – Unplanned Rest Day but swam 45 minutes this afternoon (too hot here to run)
    09/02 – 3 miles – Pretty slow pace but faster than last run and AVG HR only 139
    09/03 – 1.3 miles around basketball court at gym + 90 min strength training
    09/04 – 4 miles, middle two faster, AVG HR 148
    09/05 – Party Day
    09/06 – 3.26 miles – AVG HR 149……….one hill
    09/07 – 90 minutes of strength training
    09/08 – Rest day
    09/09 – 3.3 miles – AVG HR 146, HIGH HR 160 during hill run

exercise.png

Training for my first 10K on Nov 19th
  • Stoshew71
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7 makes some great points regarding shoes.

LOL @MobyCarp (re: tapering athlete sign).
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options

exercise.png