September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Happy rest day to me! And yes, I AM going to eat that truffle my coworker gave me. :)

Supposed to storm tomorrow morning. Should be interesting. Gotta have my Saturday run so I can deal with the excruciating parents at my son's bowling league.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 temps have been pretty nice on this side of the state (Tampa), it was actually "cool" by our standards 2 nights ago. 71 and almost no humidity, lol.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    Options

exercise.png

• johnnylloyd0618
    Options

MTD:
    Distance
    98.51 mi (Run and Bike)
    Duration
    12.51 hrs
    Calories
    Burned
    Workouts
  • johnnylloyd0618
    Options
    @KatieJane83 , its a huge help to have a few pair of shoes. My wife laughs and says I have more running shoes than most women have highheels. I always by the same shoe in pairs, my race shoes, trainers, distances shoes. It is never fun trying to break in a new pair of shoes right before a race. Not to mention a pair of shoes you may run through every 3 months might get you 6 months now :)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - oh yeah, def aware of the importance of giving shoes a little time. Before I fell into running, I danced all growing up and up until a few years ago (ballet, pointe, hip hop, jazz, tap, etc) so I have a great appreciation for the importance of shoes, lol.

This is the 3rd pair of Glycerins I've been in, I've tended to get them to around 400-500 miles, but they've definitely been very tired by the end. I'm considering stocking up on another pair of Glycerins and then going to a local running store and finding another brand/style to also rotate with. I like the way @Stoshew71 looks at it, in that I feel like it could be beneficial, and might help with injury prevention, if I am adapted to running in more than one shoe style, so that I'm not overly dependent on it, and I can make sure they're not masking certain weaker areas.

Only thing that kills me are the prices, lol. My Glycerins cost me more than my old pointe shoes used to cost, haha.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Only thing that kills me are the prices, lol. My Glycerins cost me more than my old pointe shoes used to cost, haha.

I rarely buy current model shoes. I wear Kinvaras, and I've worn the Kinvara 7 on a demo run so I know it will work for me; but my rotation right now is two pair of Kinvara 5's and one Kinvara 6. I have 3 more pair of Kinvara 6's in boxes waiting to be put into rotation as other shoes wear out. Because I'm buying each model after the next is announced (and usually after the next is released), they cost 30% to 50% less than the current model.

Just a tip I got from a more experienced runner who rotated through 4 pair of Kinvaras. When you train for marathons, you go through a lot of shoes. Watching how to keep them affordable makes a difference to the budget.

@Stoshew71 shops for whatever's on sale; with size 14 feet, it's a waste of my time to look at sales in brick and mortar stores. They'll never have my size. But I can shop for price online, I just have to know what model shoe will work for me.
  • Marjael
    Marjael Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks @7lenny7 & @shanaber =)

5.13 miles yesterday
    4.01 miles today

I'm going to call yesterday a tempo run - started out intending an easy run, but adrenaline was too high or something - another run down the road (I live in the country, there are no sidewalks -road running means down back roads, where sometimes there's a shoulder, which might need mowed, sometimes you've got the ditch, and sometimes you're just praying no one comes around the turn because there's nothing but solid trees/brush or a drop).

The Reebok AT Thrill shoes I ordered arrived yesterday. I gave them a short test yesterday and they felt pretty good, so I tried them this morning on the trail. I started out really, really liking them, but the last half mile or so, I was noticing pain on the insides of my feet - friction pain, not form pain. It actually felt like a twig or rock had gotten trapped, except it was both feet, in the same spot. The shoes don't have lining in the toe box area, I guess to allow water to drain out the vents along the arch? So the lining material ends right there at the front of my arch, and that's where I felt friction... the edge of the fabric rubs my foot, right through my socks... I'm not sure what to do about it... Lace up tighter? I'm not a fan of tightly laced shoes, but I'm less of a fan of blisters... Tear out the lining? That doesn't seem a good idea. My socks are pretty thick, but I guess I can look for other sock options that might somehow provide more protection? I have to do something. Sad, because the rest of the shoe felt pretty good. It rained yesterday, so the trail was 'dirty' and I'm thinking the shoes are beyond cleaning up to return.

exercise.png
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - definitely an excellent point regarding previous models. I was actually eyeing the previous model of my Glycerins on Sierra Trading Post but of course they didn't have my width (I need a wide width, which like your size issues, can mean a more limited selection for me). Going to keep looking and price-shopping though, for sure!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@KatieJane83, I paid full price for my first pair of Glycerins ($150) but since then have paid $75, $70, and $98 by buying them at closeout prices when a newer version comes out. All those are the Glycerin 12's. When I first bought the Glycerin's, a very close second choice was the ASICS Air Nimbus 17 so when I decided to add some variety, I bought those, also on closeout, for $100 and eventually two more pair at $70 each.

Then I found a third shoe, the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus on closeout for $50. Hadn't ever tried them but at that price I could use them for an every day walking around shoe if they didn't work for running. I loved them so much I wore them for my marathon, then bought two more pair at $50 each. Unfortunately when I got my son running I told him to try mine and those were the ones he liked best, not only for running, but for wearing every dang day, so I gave him one of my backup pair as well, and will likely give him my third pair.

I have no idea why shoe manufacturer's feel they need to update the models every year, but I'll take advantage of the cheaper shoes as I stay on the trailing edge of shoe technology.

ETA: @KatieJane83 you probably know this, but make sure you sign up for the Sierra Trading Post emails as they often have codes for additional discounts. The downside is that they send out these emails way too often. I love STP for running gear!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

September 1 - 12.8km - Tempo&Reps/4:20, 3:30
    September 2 - 7.7 km - Easy/6:00
    September 3 - 6.1 km - Easy/6:30
    September 4 - 17.2km - MP/4:35
    September 5 - rest
    September 6 - 8.0 km - Easy/6:05
    September 7 - 8.9 km - Easy/5:40
    September 8 - 17.2km - Tempo/4:25
    September 9 - 9.1 km - Easy/5:40

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Whew, finally caught up with this thread. At least with reading about everyone's runs, the time at the airport waiting for my delayed flight back home after a work trip didn't get too long. During the conference this week I didn't get many chances to run; only a quick loop on the last evening, when everyone else was sleeping, and twice when I skipped lunch in favour of running (bothtimes much shorter than I liked, but to make up for that, a little faster than my ususal pace - I thought my colleagues would appreciate it if I also managed to squeeze an after-run-shower into the lunch break :p ). And I swam 10-15min in the lake every morning before breakfast, which was awesome. I wish I had a lake in front of the door at home!

I'm running my second official half marathon this Sunday! It's the first time I'll run in a race with pacers. Which is kind of cool. But they start the wave in races, so I need to figure out where to line up in advance, rather than just go by feel like I usually do. Right now, I think I'll probably line up behind the 2:10 pacer. My first half in May was 2:17, so hopefully that time won't prove to be overly optimistic.

---

@WhatMeRunning Great that you are running again, you'll probably be back to 8mi runs before you know it!

@shanaber I love the pictures of the pelicans! Regarding your eating question: I'm not sure if when I eat ever made much difference for weight loss, apart from the fact that if I don't eat enough breakfast (like just grabbing a croissant instead of my usual cereals + greek joghurt + juice), I get ridiculously hungy during the next few hours, and end up raining the vending machine at work - which sells only chocolate, so not great for weight loss at all ;-)

@ariceroni Great that you are finally rid of the crutches! Let us know how the water running goes, that sounds really interesting.

@RespectTheKitty I had a black toenail once. When it started getting loose on one side, I "encouraged" it to come the rest of the way off. I'm not sure if that's what you're supposed to do or not, but while it was flabbily half-attached, I kept stubbing or snagging it rather painfully. After it was gone, the nailbed was somewhat sensitive to pressure for the next day or two, and looking at it weirded me out, but other than that it didn't bother me anymore.

@jodilynnsanders5104 Wow, you are already way on your way to even your increase goal, great job!

@sparklyglitterbomb Congrats on the pace PRs!

@dianefogel1 and @shenry111 Welcome to this group! :)

Belated happy birthday to @karllundy and @TattooedDolphinGirl78!

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 I'm going with the others here and answering "that depends". The first time I ran more than 20km (about half a year ago), I took the next day off, and went for a short easy run the day after. Now I'd be perfectly happy about running again the next day. I've actually done my long run on Saturday and a 10km "marathon pace" tempo run on Sunday, when that fit my schedule better than vice versa. Still, I usually try to avoid that. I might feel perfectly fine about running again the next day, but I don't want to risk getting injured, so playing it save and making the day after the long run a rest day (with maybe 30-40min easy running or crosstraining) seems like a better idea; and some "yoga for runners" and/or streching for sure. Recovery is an important part of training as well.

@7lenny7 You have an ultra on your calender? I must have missed that somehow. Which one are you training for?

@KatieJane83 Thanks for sharing the pictures of your running route, I love running next to water, so that looks really nice :)
    Regarding the shoes: more than one pair of running shoes makes a lot of sense, especially if you train for half marathons and the like. I read that the cushioning foam inside the shoes has time to recover if you don't use them every day, and the shoes last longer. I'm also someone who owns (more than) a few different shoes from different brands. I'm a big fan in running in different shoes (different amount of cushioning, 2mm more or less drop, etc), because I think they make me run in slightly different ways, and thus involve training different muscles while resting others (not very different, but still a tiny bit). Plus if you run through heavy rain, having a comletely dry pair of shoes the next morning is rather nice as well!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I rarely buy current model shoes. I wear Kinvaras, and I've worn the Kinvara 7 on a demo run so I know it will work for me; but my rotation right now is two pair of Kinvara 5's and one Kinvara 6. I have 3 more pair of Kinvara 6's in boxes waiting to be put into rotation as other shoes wear out. Because I'm buying each model after the next is announced (and usually after the next is released), they cost 30% to 50% less than the current model.

Just a tip I got from a more experienced runner who rotated through 4 pair of Kinvaras. When you train for marathons, you go through a lot of shoes. Watching how to keep them affordable makes a difference to the budget.

@Stoshew71 shops for whatever's on sale; with size 14 feet, it's a waste of my time to look at sales in brick and mortar stores. They'll never have my size. But I can shop for price online, I just have to know what model shoe will work for me.

Hey, they are only size 13. LOL :wink:

I have been known to get great deals at Burlington Coat Factory, shoe outlet stores, and even the expos at your larger races. I got a couple of pairs at Kohl's that may have been questionable decisions. In Huntsville, both our Rocket City Marathon and Cotton Row Run have expos that usually has at least one shoe retailer come in with huge discounts on their shoes. Even if you don't plan on racing a marathon anytime soon, find one coming up in your area and see if they have an expo. It's worth going to. Shoes and other gear as well as physical therapist, and much much more valuable venders in your community related to running are usually there.

• mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It is great to see so many people making great progress towards their goal. I, on the other hand, had all kinds of excuses for not running in the past few weeks. Now that one third of the month has passed and I ran less than 10 miles. Would it be considered increasing mileage too much if I run 20, 25 and then 30 miles in the coming weeks? I still won't make my goal (100 miles) but at least I will be back to the mileage I was at before the HM last month...

Any advice?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    It is great to see so many people making great progress towards their goal. I, on the other hand, had all kinds of excuses for not running in the past few weeks. Now that one third of the month has passed and I ran less than 10 miles. Would it be considered increasing mileage too much if I run 20, 25 and then 30 miles in the coming weeks? I still won't make my goal (100 miles) but at least I will be back to the mileage I was at before the HM last month...

Any advice?

You are talking about a ~25% increase each week. That is very advantageous and may risk injury. The most quoted (but most debated) technique for increasing mileage is only by 10% each week. The most I would even suggest to even try is maybe cautiously increase by %15.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »

Any advice?

What kind of mileage have you been doing previously and for how long? How long have you been running low mileage? Was there an injury involved? I think I remember you saying that you were feeling a little burnt out and unmotivated after a half marathon, is that right? I think maybe a little more info on your running history is needed in order to offer any valid advice. Sorry if you have already been through this. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with this thread and I may have missed those details.
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I few days late since I've been sick and/or lazy. Going for speed endurance mostly so I'm planning to work the mileage as the weeks go by.

9/4 - 2.5 (2x .5mi, 6x .25mi)
    9/5 - Rest/Sick
    9/6 - Sick
    9/7 - Managed to squeak out 2.5 (.5 mile warm up, 1 mile repeats. sub 8 minutes)
    9/8 - Sick again
    9/9 - 3 miles (.5 mile repeats. sub 3:45)

Goal is to get my mile back down to 7:00 - 7:15. Fingers crossed this sickness is over.

Will post when I sign up for some October/November runs. Looking at some 5Ks and 10Ks to finish out the year.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I just hope that maybe I can go a little more aggressively because I had run a 30 mile week before, but then I only did that once.

@lporter229 You were right, I did mention that I felt a little unmotivated... But physically, I actually felt pretty good after the race besides needing to catch up some sleep after waking up super early race morning. The hike on Labor Day, on the other hand, had left my thighs in pain. I tried to have an easy run on Wednesday but I stopped after a mile because DOMS on my thigh was still too much to ignore. I feel good enough to run again today but I was busy this morning and we have a group run planned for tomorrow. So, suddenly, I found myself with super low mileage this week...

Here are my weekly mileage since mid-Jun. Before that, my weekly mileage was less than 20:

Week of 06/19: 22.9 (6)
    Week of 06/26: 24.3 (7.8)
    Week of 07/03: 26.8 (9.9)
    Week of 07/10: 25.9 (11.3)
    Week of 07/17: 19.0 (6.4)
    Week of 07/24: 25.7 (13.2)
    Week of 07/31: 32.4 (13.7)
    Week of 08/07: 20.5 (10)
    Week of 08/14: 15.9 (6.2)
    Week of 08/21: 22.1 (13.1, HM Race day)
    Week of 08/28: 14.5 (5)
    This week: Hiked 6 miles Monday, walked 6 miles Tuesday, and run/walk 2 miles Wednesday.

After typing this down, this looks quite embarrassing... The weekly increase or long run ratios weren't done as good as I thought I did. I must have skipped some runs, switch some days etc...

My true goal is to build up to run consistently 30-35 miles a week with a long run of 10+ miles. I do have another HM coming up in December but I don't think it is a concern here.

I would really appreciate your advice and insights here! Thanks!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I just decided that my big race of 2017 will be a 50K trail race, the Chippewa 50K in Wisconsin, USA. I had been debating doing another road marathon or my first ultra. I decided on the ultra.

@Stoshew71, I've bought three pair of ASICS Gel Nimbus from Nordstrom Rack and great closeout prices.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Got a message from @lporter229 asking about what to expect during Boston registration. I'm guessing there could be more first-time qualifiers hanging around, so I wrote a description of how it played out last year on the Long Distance Runners group.