September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni - Glad you got to dump the crutches. Biophysics? Nice!
    @dianefogel1 - Welcome! That is some pretty quick improvement...way to go!
    @BetterMike - Yuck! The humidity hear the last 3-4 mornings has been ridiculous!
    @RespectTheKitty - At least it is easy to cover toes! Hope your finger doesn't hurt.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    2 miles of anaerobic threshold intervals today! Feels great! (now that I'm done running them)

9/1 - 2 miles
    9/2 - 2 miles
    9/3 - Rest
    9/4 - 3 miles
    9/5 - 2 miles
    9/6 - 2 miles
    9/7 - 2 miles
    9/8 - 2 miles

Total 15 of 50 miles
    exercise.png
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Good day fellow runners!!! Hope you're all doing well!

Quick question: After a long run (20K or more), how long does it take for you to recover? I did my 20K last Saturday, and I ran once since then. Today was a planned run, but my body was just not feeling it, so I did elliptical and yoga instead.

exercise.png

1/9: 5.74 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    2/9: REST (hungover from the wedding the day before)
    3/9: 20.43 km + 20 mins yoga
    4/9: REST
    5/9: REST
    6/9: Life but walked all over
    7/9: 5.48 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    8/9: My Bday!!! 20 mins elliptical + 40 mins yoga

Current PR: 5K in 32:50 / 10K in 1:17:18 / 20K 2:45:11

Races:

24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Quick question: After a long run (20K or more), how long does it take for you to recover? I did my 20K last Saturday, and I ran once since yesterday. Today was a planned run, but my body was just not feeling it, so I did elliptical and yoga instead.
    That depends on a number of factors. How fit you are, how often you run, your mileage, and how hard you ran that 20k.

Typically (when I am in shape for runs of that distance) it takes about 2 days to recover, maybe 3 for a more strenuous one. For a race going at a much harder effort than normal you could be looking at a week.

I find that as long as I am not too beat up and would risk injury that I recover faster if I do easy/recovery jogs in the days following these long runs. It helps to keep things loose and getting the blood flow circulating helps to feed the muscles to heal, and by keeping the pace and HR way down you are not stressing the muscles so you are not adding to your recovery time. The key is to go super slow so you are not getting so much a workout as an active recovery session.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    29 of 100 done and in the books. Calf is feeling much better after a few days of lots of rolling so I'm going to keep that up even if I'm going to back off on the intensity a bit.

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 I take one day off after a 20k plus run but that's about it, I've gotten used to this and the run is definitely a slow one, the getting out and going again seems to help me loosen up.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    Thank you @WhatMeRunning and @Azercord, your insight helps. :smile:
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78

Like @WhatMeRunning said it depends on a lot of factors. I ran 13.3 miles last night, then ran 6 miles this morning as a recovery run. Flushing the crap out of your legs and getting blood moving is an important step, as is rest. I've built up a tolerance for those middle distance runs of 12-15 miles this training cycle so I'm typically OK to run the next day easy, but 2 years ago I'd of taken a full day rest after that distance. Most training plans will give you a full day rest after your longest run of the week, and start back up the next day with an easy run. On my rest days I'll still like to do something active to stimulate the blood flowing like a 30-45 min easy bike ride, or some time on the elliptical followed by some foam rolling and stretching. I think a lot of us neglect the stretching after hard sessions, which will make your recovery harder.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 If it took you more than 2 days to recover from a long run, then you ran that long run either too fast and/or too long.

In addition to @5512bf recovery run suggestion, make sure you are eating the right things to aid in recovery. Protein is important for your muscles. Make sure you get enough of it. Calcium and Vit D for the bones. Iron for your blood.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    @5512bf Thank you. :smile:
    @Stoshew71 I certainly didn't run it fast, but I'm pretty sure I bit off more than I can chew on it. I have a feeling it was too much too soon. My DOMS didn't last as long as I thought they would either, so I thought I had recovered quite quickly, but I guess not. Lesson learned.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Happy BDay!

From a newer runner's perspective: I find that it hurts more if I sit a lot for the rest of the day after the long run (20 km is about the longest distance I run)

@WhatMeRunning @Azercord @5512bf and @Stoshew71 I appreciate the information too.

Also, I wonder if it was something psychological - like we suddenly found ourselves lost the motivation after achieving something. I guess I am talking about myself... Finished a half marathon race >2 weeks ago and haven't run a long run since... :sweat_smile:
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    Also, I wonder if it was something psychological - like we suddenly found ourselves lost the motivation after achieving something. I guess I am talking about myself... Finished a half marathon race >2 weeks ago and haven't run a long run since... :sweat_smile:

That is not uncommon. I ran my last Marathon in October, and really didn't do any real volume of running for several months. I didn't go past 10 miles until February and maybe only ran 3-4 times a week for general fitness for 3 months. Having that date circled on a calendar is motivation to put in the work. I'm trying to force myself to register for several races in November and December to keep up with my training where i just didn't have the motivation to get back to work last year. I was easily able to bounce back to 40-50 mile weeks in February of this year once I made that commitment to a May half/ Oct full.

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 - Happy Birthday! It's my birthday, too!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 - Happy Birthday! It's my birthday, too!

Birthday buddies!!! :smiley: Happy Birthday!!! :cookie: <-- since I couldn't find a cake alternative. :wink:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    That is not uncommon. I ran my last Marathon in October, and really didn't do any real volume of running for several months. I didn't go past 10 miles until February and maybe only ran 3-4 times a week for general fitness for 3 months. Having that date circled on a calendar is motivation to put in the work. I'm trying to force myself to register for several races in November and December to keep up with my training where i just didn't have the motivation to get back to work last year. I was easily able to bounce back to 40-50 mile weeks in February of this year once I made that commitment to a May half/ Oct full.

Guilty here too. After my full in May, my miles plummeted. Partly due to injury, partly due to different priorities for the summer, but a large part was also motivation. I don't think that's a bad thing either. Taking a bit of a break, even if not a complete break, is good for the body.

Now that I have an ultra on my calendar, my motivation is quickly ramping up and I need to be careful with that.
  • merlinofchaos
    merlinofchaos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    9/1 -- 3.25 miles
    9/5 -- 6.25 miles
    9/6 -- 3 miles
    9/8 -- 5.1 miles

17.6/50

Feeling pretty on track now and not as much discomfort as I often have. Typically when I run 2 days in a row my hip lets me know I shouldn't have (I think this is an extension of the bad back which can cause muscles around my hip to overcompensate) but so far so good. Had some soreness in my shin that might be shin splints, but it faded after the first mile and a half or so and didn't recur and still hasn't. So probably nothing there.

If I keep on the schedule I'm on I should actually beat my goal pretty handily, but we'll see. Next run will be Sat 9/10, and Sunday I'll do a speed trial and see if I can get closer to that elusive 8 minute mile.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    9/1 13 mile run
    9/2 off day
    9/3 23 mile run
    9/4 off day
    9/5 10 mile run
    9/6 15 mile run
    9/7 11.4 mile run
    9/8 20 mile run
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for September
    9/1 9 miles - 9
    9/2 5 miles - 14
    9/3 18 miles - 32
    9/4 REST DAY
    9/5 10.5 miles - 42.5
    9/6 9 miles - 51.5
    9/7 6.2 miles - 57.7
    9/8 10 miles - 67.7
    9/8 6.2 miles - 73.9 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    mom3over40 wrote: »

Ditto. I have found that the more effort I put into my training, the longer my "recovery" period post race. I generally take a week off entirely after a marathon and then I spend the next few months just rekindling my love for running without any type of training requirements. This generally ends up being 25-30 miles per week of easy, enjoyable running. After a few months, the bug starts to hit me that tells me that I need some type of focus for my running and then I set my next goal.