September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Between work, traveling for work and traveling for fun I am 20+ pages behind. I am not going to get caight up but have read some of the posts. I won't make my goal for the month but I had a great time running Beat the Blerch with my daughter and having a couple of hilly, recovery runs in Seattle before we headed to Victoria BC for a few days of relaxing. In the 3 days we were there we walked everywhere and ended up at well over 20 miles but I am not counting that in my running total. I took running clothes but didn't make it out for a run while we were there.

Pictures below from the race, being chased by the Blerch, a sign about the couches along the course (yes you could sit down and relax with a Blerch) and some of the the swag. It was fun and crazy with donut eating contests and give aways, cake and nutella sandwiches on the course and beer afterwards. I was sure there would be lots of sick runners but we didn't see too many. The course was muddy from the previous day's rain but we lucked out in the weather department as we had partly cloudy and cool weather. The only issue I had was with the gravel and 2-3in river rocks that made up quite a bit of the trail we ran. The rocks made my feet feel bruised but the alternative, where there was any, was mud. Also I am so used to running at my pace that running at my daughter's much slower pace was SO difficult, it was quite exhausting in its own way. We had a blast though and will likely sign up to run it again. I am hoping between then and now she will develop more speed - maybe she will even have to slow down to run with me :)
    Also we got to meet Matthew Inman (aka The Oatmeal) at packet pickup and running on the course!
    z74d21dqsor9.jpg
    28rvu4p421rr.jpg
    rbckotkd67sq.jpg

You have no idea how insanely jealous I am of all of this! This is so very awesome!

You see, I was already registered (with a hotel room) to run the Dogfish Dash in Delaware when they announced the Beat the Blerch in New Jersey last year. I was heartbroken, but I was also running Dogfish Head with my boyfriend, a good friend, and her boyfriend, and we had a weekend away planned. I consoled myself by telling myself that I will run Beat the Blerch this year. I had friends who did New Jersey, and they were angry to discover that it was a trail run when they got there that morning. This only made me more excited for 2016. Little did I know that Beat the Blerch would only be happening on the West Coast this year, and I could not afford the trip - no money or time off after my Disney trip in February and my UK trip this month. I am heartbroken! I have a strange obsession with Matt Inman...like school-girl crush. (I never had one of those as a schoolgirl, so I guess it caught up with me in my 30s.) :disappointed: *sigh* Maybe in a year or two I'll be able to make the trek to Seattle. It's on my short list of places to go next, anyway.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Popping in as managed my 10k this morning that had to quit yesterday due to bad stomach. Only one more planned run left for me this month (Thursday) and only planning 7k (2 x 3.5k faster runs) so will just miss my 70k target. Given I had almost two weeks out with no running I'm still really pleased with what I've managed to achieve this month, even if not the 110k I originally hoped for.

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia will you be my personal trainer? Lol! I'll just eat and do what you do the previous day by your diary. Oh wait, I'm still mastering the distance to the coffee maker.... :wink:

Seriously, thanks for sharing your progress. Very motivating.

@Elise4270 Hahahaha! Thanks. I love having an open diary. I get to shock people.

I'm sure some of the "sugar addiction" proponents would also freak out if they had a look. :smiley:

I just eat what I feel like, within my calorie limit. This includes making room for alcohol and dessert. I get to eat lots of everything! I don't pay much attention to the numbers, I just try to stay around the limit.

I did notice I'd eaten 11,000 kj (2600 calories) the other day and was still under. :smiley:

Love it!!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    exercise.png

1/9: 5.74 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    2/9: REST (hungover from the wedding the day before)
    3/9: 20.43 km + 20 mins yoga
    4/9: REST
    5/9: REST
    6/9: LIFE but walked all over
    7/9: 5.48 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    8/9: My Bday!!! 20 mins elliptical + 40 mins yoga + 4.61 km in the evening
    9/9: 5.49 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    10/9: REST
    11/9: REST
    12/9: 4.63 km in the evening
    13/9: 5.62 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (arms and core)
    14/9: 5.61 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders, upper back and core)
    15/9: 5.61 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (chest and core)
    16/9: 10.25 km + 20 mins yoga (new PR!)
    17/9: REST (walked all over with a friend visiting from out of town)
    18/9: LIFE (volunteered for my city’s Army Run)
    19/9: 4.56 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders and core)
    20/9: LIFE (TOM and chronic pain flare-up)
    21/9: LIFE (TOM and chronic pain flare-up)
    22/9: LIFE (TOM and chronic pain flare-up)
    23/9: REST
    24/9: 10.51km (6.5 km Obstacle Course with a team of 8 + 4.01 km running in a corn field for 4 hours)
    25/9: REST
    26/9: 5.00 km (treadmill interval run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders and core)
    27/9: 4.85 km (treadmill progression run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (arms)

Current PR: 5K in 32:50 / 10K in 1:12:07 / 20K in 2:45:11

Races:

24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - condolences! I am so sorry for your loss!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    So, I knew that my HM goals superseded my monthly mileage goals, but damn do I really want to have my first ever triple-digit month! I'm so pissed September only has 30 days, otherwise I'd have Saturday to easily fit a long run in. Oh well. We'll see how it goes, but from today through Friday I am going to try to get the 23 miles needed to get me to 100. I figure I basically had 2 weeks of taper before my HM anyway, so it's not like I'm at a burnt out point in my training.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @shanaber That Blerch run looks like so much fun! And I think that it is awesome that you are faster than your daughter! I know what you mean though about running at a much slower pace than you are used to. I recently ran a marathon with a friend that was struggling and our average pace was a good 3-4 minutes slower than my normal pace. At 5+ hours, it may have been the most difficult marathon I have run. It was still tons of fun though.

This morning's run just wasn't meant to be. It was an awesome morning, 48F and brisk when I took the pup for her walk. I was having some stomach issues, so I got a late start on the run and decided to take the puppy with me for my warm up because she was bouncing off the walls. Her excess energy didn't translate well into running though, and we ended up only getting through a half mile in over 10 minutes. At that point, I was seriously getting pressed for time, so I was trying to fit in a quick three miles. When I made it to the top of my hill and realized that I have forgotten to start my Garmin, I decided that it was a sign that the run should wait until this evening, so I just headed home. Missing out on the great weather, but it is still going to be in the low 70s and clear, so I am looking forward to it this evening, and I can actually get in a few more miles. I will get my cool morning run in one of these days!
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift oh damn! That's scary even if it was just an electrical box. Few years back I had to cut a run short because I came up on a buck. If you've seen the videos or heard the stories of them coming after people... It literally scared the poo out of me.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My right hamstring is complaining a lot this morning. Definitely time for a rest day. Hopefully it'll be better by tomorrow's morning run. If not, I'll keep it short or do a walk instead. I also need to make sure I don't cross my legs under my desk at work like I'm wont to do, because I think that's throwing things out of alignment.

Going to the eye doctor this evening. If I need a new prescription, which I'm almost sure I will, I want to get some nifty sports style sunglasses for running to go along with my regular glasses.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Yikes @Elise4270 A buck would be scary. I have encountered dogs, deer, coyotes, and raccoons. I've spotted a bear and a cougar (but I was at a good enough distance to change direction). I wouldn't have even known to be worried about a buck; might be better for me not to see videos haha. I guess those antlers aren't for nothing! I came upon a deer in the bushes I ran beside just a few weeks ago, and was amazed how big it seemed being just a few feet away.

@kristinegift I'm glad it was an electrical box. The wind was whistling in my ears the other morning, and it got my adrenaline going as I kept looking around for wild beasts or such. I felt like a big scaredy-cat the way my heart was pounding!

Sep 1 - 2.98 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 2 - 2.1 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 3 - 2.13 miles (recovery)
    Sep 4 - 11.67 miles (long)
    Sep 5 - rest
    Sep 6 - 3.39 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 7 - 2.65 miles (long intervals)
    Sep 8 - 6 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 9 - 2.84 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 10 - 4.01 miles (recovery)
    Sep 11 - 9.94 miles (w/u, alternating miles by pace goal/heart rate, last mile: 13:13)
    Sep 12 - rest
    Sep 13 - 5 miles (2 middle miles @ tempo pace)
    Sep 14 - 2.56 miles (recovery)
    Sep 15 - 6 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 16 - rest
    Sep 17 - 4.01 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 18 - 12 miles (w/u, 11 x .25 mile zone 3 + .75 mile zone 2, c/d)
    Sep 19 - rest
    Sep 20 - 5.07 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 21 - rest
    Sep 22 - 7.09 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 23 - 3.43 miles (long intervals)
    Sep 24 - 4 miles (recovery)
    Sep 25 - 12 miles (fast finish, last mile: 12:13)
    Sep 26 - rest
    Sep 27 - 6 miles (2 middle miles @ tempo pace)

Total: 114.87 / 100 miles
  • Elise4270
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun The doe's aren't a problem. They just stand there an look at you run by. Dogs and bear no thanks! We have cougars here. I worked with a guy that had one stalk him while he was out hunting, I think he wound up shooting it as it lunged at him. Thankfully, I've not seen them on foot! We have wild pigs. They scare the *kitten* out of me!

Haha! You ever find your footsteps sound like someone is behind you? That's creepy too!
  • ccontr11
    ccontr11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Got an infection and wasn't able to run much these past days :( I'm gonna try to catch up on my running this week.
    exercise.png

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I just heard that a female runner was attacked on the Prairie Path a couple days ago. It was in an area that I don't use (two towns over), but it still has me freaked out because I use the Prairie Path all the time for running. They said it happened at 6:20 am, which means it would have still been dark. I never run when it's dark for that reason alone. This latest news has got me re-thinking my route. The part of the path I use is mostly out in the open with no trees, but there are a couple small spots that are closed in with trees and secluded. Maybe I should get some pepper spray to carry with me. Ugh, this has me so worried.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @Elise4270 Yes, the deer didn't move at all, just let me go right by. I've seen those wild pigs on Survivor and they would scare the crap out of me too! They're fast and loud. I used to carry bear spray, but I was charged by a pit bull one day and couldn't figure it out fast enough (too many steps: remove the safety, point it the right direction etc. lol). I ended up spraying myself on the leg. Thus, I determined I'm more likely to hurt myself with it and stopped carrying it.

Yes, I think that must have just happened this morning. I kept thinking there was someone running up behind me, but there was never anyone there. It didn't even occur to me that it was my own footsteps. Basketcase!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Ha, I think last night was the first time poor organisation/planning actually was a motivation for me to run, rather than a hindrance ;) On the way home from the airport, I decided I was to exhausted to run, I just wanted to have a late dinner and go to bed early. That plan lasted until I spotted the post-it on the fridge that reminded me I had an appointment to drop my car at the garage this morning before work. The problem with that was that I left my car at work last Thursday when a colleague offered to drive me to the airport. So... spontaneous run to retrieve my car! Once I started to run, the fatigue was gone, so it turned out to be a really nice run.

--

@shanaber Sometimes I think I must be the only runner who isn't a fan of the Blerch. But the race sounds like lots of fun! And I love the slogan on the shirt. I might have to steal that and put it to my fridge or on a shirt or something, it's just brilliant.

@skippygirlsmom I am truly sorry to hear that. I wish you and your family all the best!

@mom3over40 A strength training post sounds like a great idea! Yes, I'm doing YAYOG, but I got stuck in week 5, and a little demotivated. I think I'll start over (again) with week 1 for October. Company would be very welcome! :)

@RespectTheKitty Congratulations on the new PRs!
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty That's awful. Another runner on MFP here was attacked by someone near her home. It guess it's a good idea to be vigilant. Stay safe!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    I just heard that a female runner was attacked on the Prairie Path a couple days ago. It was in an area that I don't use (two towns over), but it still has me freaked out because I use the Prairie Path all the time for running. They said it happened at 6:20 am, which means it would have still been dark. I never run when it's dark for that reason alone. This latest news has got me re-thinking my route. The part of the path I use is mostly out in the open with no trees, but there are a couple small spots that are closed in with trees and secluded. Maybe I should get some pepper spray to carry with me. Ugh, this has me so worried.

Oh my goodness... :confounded: Please be careful!
  • Elise4270
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 Yes, the deer didn't move at all, just let me go right by. I've seen those wild pigs on Survivor and they would scare the crap out of me too! They're fast and loud. I used to carry bear spray, but I was charged by a pit bull one day and couldn't figure it out fast enough (too many steps: remove the safety, point it the right direction etc. lol). I ended up spraying myself on the leg. Thus, I determined I'm more likely to hurt myself with it and stopped carrying it.

Yes, I think that must have just happened this morning. I kept thinking there was someone running up behind me, but there was never anyone there. It didn't even occur to me that it was my own footsteps. Basketcase!

I think I'll check out the small hand held tasers. I saw them once at a running expo. I'm such a scaredy-cat. Especially now that I couldn't out run a rabid bunny.

I'm not sure what good it'd do, but my phone has a setting where i can push the on/off button 3 times and it calls 911. I have the Samsung 7.

Kinda glad I'm waking with crutches. They'd make a fair weapon.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    September Running Challenge

1st-4th - Poorlysick
    5th - 3.53 miles
    6th - 4.06 miles
    8th - 10.02 miles
    10th - 3.1 miles
    11th - 6.07 miles
    13th - 3.01 miles
    17th - 3.11 miles