September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I've never seen those. Maybe they're not allowed in Canada. We aren't permitted to carry pepper spray, but we are allowed bear spray. No idea what the difference is.

I could maybe outrun a snail, so I get where you're coming from. My neighbourhood seems safe, so long as I can play nice with the wild beasts who enter from the nearby mountains and fields. I have had a number of scary dog encounters, so bad pet owners are my biggest fear—well, other than my own shadow and footsteps maybe. Eek!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    3 miles this morning. I worked my warm up and cool down into the 3 miles so just a flat 3 miles. It was 47 degrees! WHEEEE!!!! Capris and a short sleeve sweatshirt and I didn't even shiver when I stepped out, but I try to move around a lot while I'm getting ready in the morning (like knee lifts and kicks and stuff while I'm brushing my teeth and making hubby's coffee - yes, he's spoiled!) so I was warmed up. I briefly thought maybe I should've worn gloves, but then forgot about it as I got moving faster. I did cover my ears with a headband.

@kristinegift I've had those moments also where I freaked then felt dumb.

Since I'm running more in the dark now, I listen to music in one ear, otherwise I'm too creeped out by the quiet. I can hear my surroundings with one ear open though. The great thing now is, my town does this big halloween decorating contest so now people in the contest are filling their yards with scary things :-o Some people go so far out on this stuff that they have their yards on surveillance video (in case of sabotage?!) So now I'm running with mummies and zombies everywhere :-o

LOL @elise4270 using those crutches as weapons......

@_nikkiwolf_ Only a real runner can go running and feel less tired than before ;) Good job on getting that run done!

I think the cooler weather is going to have me tempted to run more than I should. Better take tomorrow off. BOO!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I think I'll check out the small hand held tasers. I saw them once at a running expo. I'm such a scaredy-cat. Especially now that I couldn't out run a rabid bunny.

Well that's no ordinary rabbit. That's the most foul cruel and bad tempered rodent you'd ever set eyes on.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    Also we got to meet Matthew Inman (aka The Oatmeal) at packet pickup and running on the course!

@shanaber OMFGWOWWTFHOLYCRAPAWESOME!!! :smile: I may be just the slightest bit jealous and happy for you.

Hahaha - @Orphia! He is such a nice kind of introverted guy... He did misspell my daughter's name when he signed her book after asking her about the spelling, so he drew her a Blerch! I was hoping he would misspell mine so I could get one too :)

@instantmartian - registration for the 2017 Beat the Blerch in Seattle opened yesterday. I already sent it to my daughter to see if she wants to run it again! I will be better prepared for the rocks with different shoes if we do run it!

@lporter229 - my normal HM time is 2:15 and this was a full hour longer... It was a blast though running it with her.

One more picture from the race - this was afterwards and yes those really are giant jars of Nutella!1ixhkilorwlw.jpg
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I just heard that a female runner was attacked on the Prairie Path a couple days ago. It was in an area that I don't use (two towns over), but it still has me freaked out because I use the Prairie Path all the time for running. They said it happened at 6:20 am, which means it would have still been dark. I never run when it's dark for that reason alone. This latest news has got me re-thinking my route. The part of the path I use is mostly out in the open with no trees, but there are a couple small spots that are closed in with trees and secluded. Maybe I should get some pepper spray to carry with me. Ugh, this has me so worried.

http://www.active.com/running/articles/5-self-defense-products-every-runner-should-know-about

One of my friends who is also a runner posted this link a while back. I do run with a small hand held pepper spray that straps to my hand. I once had an incident where a young male homeless person appeared to be trying to follow me when I was running very early morning on some trails. I only saw 3 other people out that day so if anything happened, no one would have heard me. I got home and bought the pepper spray. Even if you don't need if for a human attacker, it could help if ever attacked by a dog or coyote.

There are some other options in the article that are not pepper spray. With my recent overseas travel, I was thinking about getting one of these since you can't take pepper spray on an airplane with you.

Hope this might help!! :)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner Thank you for that link! I'm going to order something from that list.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    9/1: 4.1 miles / Treadmill Run in Afghanistan
    9/4: 7 miles / Track run in Afghanistan
    9/5: 5 miles / Track run in Afghanistan while listening to an outgoing rocket blast. (Outgoing=good / Incoming=Bad)
    9/8: 5 miles / Track run in Afghanistan
    9/9: 8 miles / Track run in Afghanistan
    9/10: 4 miles / Track run in Afghanistan
    9/11: No running: Left Afghanistan and it was weird to have the 9/11 date stamp by my Afghanistan visa on my passport.
    9/12: 6.45 miles / Treadmill run in Dubai (Way too hot to do anything outside other than lie on the beach under an umbrella, which is what I did most of the day)
    9/13: Arrived back home to Texas!! Slept, slept, and slept some more
    9/14: 12 miles / Run in the park breathing clean air
    9/15: 3.1 miles and Body Pump / Happy 15 year wedding anniversary to me and Hubby!
    9/16: 5 miles
    9/17: Rest Day
    9/18: 13.1 miles / Half Marathon training to test 30 seconds slower than goal pace. Ran with an 8:40 average pace with plenty of room to spare. Started in the dark on a paved trail around a lake with a headlamp and bugs flying at my head and lots of wind and a few spider webs. Then the sun came out so I put my visor on (thanks to my trusty hydration belt for giving me a strap to tuck that into), then it rained, then it sunned, rained, and back to sunny. Very happy with my pace, hydration, and Sport Beans.
    9/19: 4 miles / Hot and humid before work - No breeze, and no one had their sprinklers on.
    9/20: Body Pump Class and 20 minutes of Elliptical
    9/21: 3 miles in the morning, Yoga in the evening
    9/22: 4.39 miles (Warm up, 10x 400m intervals with 1 minute recovery between, cool down)
    9/23: Yoga
    9/24: 10 miles: Found a neighborhood with lots of hills: 687’ Elevation gain (which is a lot for Texas!!)
    9/25: 5 mile dreadmill run / Strength Training
    9/26: 4.15 miles

103.29 of 100 miles for September

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05

Upcoming Races:
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26

Slept in yesterday instead of running before work. It was nice to be able to run in the cool temps after work. However, all the rain on Sunday and yesterday brought out the bugs. I was trying to focus on my breathing, but the bugs being inhaled up my nose kept throwing me off!! This is why it’s good to learn to breathe through your nose while running…bugs up the nose are better than in the mouth!! LOL
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I just heard that a female runner was attacked on the Prairie Path a couple days ago. It was in an area that I don't use (two towns over), but it still has me freaked out because I use the Prairie Path all the time for running. They said it happened at 6:20 am, which means it would have still been dark. I never run when it's dark for that reason alone. This latest news has got me re-thinking my route. The part of the path I use is mostly out in the open with no trees, but there are a couple small spots that are closed in with trees and secluded. Maybe I should get some pepper spray to carry with me. Ugh, this has me so worried.

http://www.active.com/running/articles/5-self-defense-products-every-runner-should-know-about

One of my friends who is also a runner posted this link a while back. I do run with a small hand held pepper spray that straps to my hand. I once had an incident where a young male homeless person appeared to be trying to follow me when I was running very early morning on some trails. I only saw 3 other people out that day so if anything happened, no one would have heard me. I got home and bought the pepper spray. Even if you don't need if for a human attacker, it could help if ever attacked by a dog or coyote.

There are some other options in the article that are not pepper spray. With my recent overseas travel, I was thinking about getting one of these since you can't take pepper spray on an airplane with you.

Hope this might help!! :)

I had a similar issue with a young guy on the trail near me, following closely behind me on a bike. I ran into some people walking the opposite direction and asked if I could walk a bit with them and he immediately took off. He was later arrested for accosting another women on the trail (I had already reported it to the Park Rangers). I was also chased by a large dog that escaped from his yard onto the trail. The Animal Control officer recommended a small air horn. You can get them at a marine or boating supply store and they have tiny ones that make a large noise, are easy to use and you can't hurt yourself with it. It could startle an attacker and give time to react or get away and works really well for keeping animals (dogs, coyotes, etc...) away.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    6---28 min swim
    8---20 min crutches walk
    9---30 min crutches walk
    11---25 min crutches walk
    12---weights
    13---30 min swim
    15---2.3 mile crutches walk
    16---1.5 mile crutches walk
    21---Dallas doc visit
    23---1.7 mile crutches walk
    24---1.1 mile crutches walk
    26---2 mile crutches walk +1 mile poké walk
    27---2 mile crutches walk

I think I'm gonna slip in to training mode. I doubt I'd be ready for December's race, but I think it'd be mentally good for me to walk/train towards it. (And I wanna look like @Orphia :wink: )

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (registered)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • Elise4270
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I think I'll check out the small hand held tasers. I saw them once at a running expo. I'm such a scaredy-cat. Especially now that I couldn't out run a rabid bunny.

Well that's no ordinary rabbit. That's the most foul cruel and bad tempered rodent you'd ever set eyes on.

Be like the Monty Python killer rabbits... I'd lose my head.

@shanaber omg that's a lot of Nutella.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    @Elise4270 ... OMG...I'm doing the Dallas Marathon as a Half as well! I see you are on crutches, but possibly still trying to train for it? If you are able to run it, we should try to meet up before hand or afterwards. None of my friends are runners so it could be fun to meet. :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - Ugh! When I lived in Wheaton/Glen Ellyn I used to ride my bike on the Prairie Path. Could totally see how some creeper would do that. Be careful.
    @Elise4270, @shanaber, @RunRachelleRun, @BeeerRunner - I have heard of the small air horn being effective for both animals and attackers. You can get "personal alarms" some places as well. Try to vary your routes and not establish a pattern, let someone know where you are running, etc. Never hurts to be too careful.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty - Ugh! When I lived in Wheaton/Glen Ellyn I used to ride my bike on the Prairie Path. Could totally see how some creeper would do that. Be careful.

Yeah, the attack was in unincorporated Wheaton. I live in Lombard, which is a couple towns over, and go through Villa Park and sometimes Elmhurst when I use the path. A lot of the path is in wooded areas so it'd be really easy for some creeper to sneak up on someone. I generally try to stay away from the heavily wooded parts.
  • Elise4270
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 ... OMG...I'm doing the Dallas Marathon as a Half as well! I see you are on crutches, but possibly still trying to train for it? If you are able to run it, we should try to meet up before hand or afterwards. None of my friends are runners so it could be fun to meet. :)

Oh heck ya!

I'm really hoping the more I walk the stronger I'll get and relying on muscle memory to get me where I can do an easy half, maybe in the 3 hour range. Maybe back at the sub 2 PR chase for the OKC Memorial Marathon (half distance).
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    Oh heck ya!

I'm really hoping the more I walk the stronger I'll get and relying on muscle memory to get me where I can do an easy half, maybe in the 3 hour range. Maybe back at the sub 2 PR chase for the OKC Memorial Marathon (half distance).

I'm sure the walking will help. We went on a vacation to Glacier National Park this summer, and I did a lot of hiking on vacation, but I was too afraid of bears to try trail running. (And we did see a huge black bear on the trail one day...so scary!!) Granted that was only about 1 week of not running, but I was able to easily do some easy runs when I got back to civilization. Speed work was another story though. That was rough.

Well @Elise4270 , I'll definitely message you after Thanksgiving to see how you're doing and work out the logistics. I'll be targeting a sub 2 for this race, but wondering how the large crowds will affect my timing. Either way, I'm looking forward to the race!! Just hoping the weather is alright. You never know what you'll get that time of year down here. It could be sunny and 70 or it could be sleeting. ;)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Slow 4 mile post-HM recovery run today. Felt pretty good all things considered.

Got a few more stats for my HM! 16/37 for F30-34, 30/69 for F30-39, and 112/271 total females. I'm happy because in each of those groupings I did better than half, lol. It's all about the little victories!

ajb2jvqogsfa.jpg

Also, race pics. Most of them were from the end of the race, so I'm looking pretty beat, lolz.
    Edit: Wait, I got the high quality ones!

wxouy4mhirto.jpg

South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11 – 1:43:24
    Adirondacks Distance Festival ½ Marathon – 9/25 – 2:09:58
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
    Bay of Fundy ½ Marathon – 6/25/17
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @BEERRUNNER I grew up in North Dallas and living here in southern Oklahoma it's the same. 20° or 80°.

Thanks for the motivation! I'll set up a "training" plan and get crackin' .
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I didn't notice your post about the attacks on your path earlier. That's so scary!
    @shanaber Your experience with the guy on a trail is really creepy, especially since it turned out he got arrested later and you were right to be worried.
    I've got some pepper spray (weird legal situation: officially, the spray is designed to be used against dogs,selling it for use against humans is not allowed; but if you get attacked, you are still allowed to use it in self-defence...), but I hardly ever take it with me, even when I run at night. Maybe I should...

@Elise4270 I'm so impressed with how much training you've done while you are still forced to walk with crutches. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you get the okay from the doc for running soon, you'll be back in HM shape in no time!

--

I had some new toys in the mail today!
    se7b45159t8i.jpg
    On the top left is the Nathan Orion waist light, at the bottom are some lock laces. I've already got Xtenex laces for two of my running shoes, and I really like that I can just slip into the shoes and start running, without fussing over getting the tension right; but removing them from a retired pair of shoes and moving them to the next pair is - literally - a pain. I've decided to try a few different elastic lace systems, I hope they will be easier to install and work just as well.
    And of course, the most interesting thing on the photo are my new shoes, a pair of Merrell Road Glove Dash 3. They are my first 0-drop minimalist shoes, I've decided I want to find out what "barefoot running shoes" are all about. Aparently you are supposed to start with really short distances, so I just went for a ~1km jog with them tonight. Now I'm curious to see if my calfs will be as sore tomorrow as predicted by everything I read about barefoot shoes ;)
  • Elise4270
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Thanks. I've clung to sanity through this group, trying not to lose my running identity. I appreciate everyone's support and the runs they've shared.

It should be early November that I can ditch the crutches. I'm still waiting to be okayed to get back on the bike. I'm not sure why that's not okay other than the potential saddle pressure on the sciatic. But I have that new ISM adamo saddle. Blah blah blah... Maybe the PT can advise. And I'm hoping there's pool treadmill running (or the zero g) with pt- I shall beg for these services next week.