Do you run when it's raining?

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lilstry wrote: »

I also have another question, what do you usually wear on the rainy days??

Running top, shorts, shoes, socks, buff and GPS...

In the winter I'll layer up, tights, long sleeve base layer. If the rain is really heavy I have a jacket for over the top and trousers are mandatory kit for many ultras around here.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so it rains a lot. It bothers me when it is really heavy and under 7 degrees for the first 10 minutes or so after that I forget it is raining.
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain! Especially when it starts mid-way through my run, so refreshing!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running in the rain! The only time I don't is if there's thunder or lightening. But there's something (to me at least) so peaceful about running while it's raining. It's almost as peaceful as running in the snow.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Yes - I love rain. In fact, this time of year, I'll run inside when it's sunny and outside when it's rainy. :)
  • vperspective
    vperspective Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't mind running in the rain as long as my socks don't get soaked - hate that. I also like to wear a cap to keep the rain out of my eyes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'll walk in any weather, but I don't think I'll be running in the rain this winter.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Rain is meant for running; in nice weather I'd rather be on the bike. It's when the sky opens up that I appreciate running for not giving me a skunk line down my back, and because the brakes are better.
  • dwygtd
    dwygtd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain and thunderstorms. Its really funny when your out there and come across another runner in the rain or thunderstorms you each give each other that look of wow your out here too lol very fun
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is awesome.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes to running in the rain!!!!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm a princess and head to the treadmill if it's more than a light drizzle. I don't like wet shoes and I don't like being cold. But I don't mind hamstering it and it doesn't impede my enjoyment of a run so it works for me.

I live in a pretty garbage climate for running as it's very frigid for a lot of the year, so I'm already so used to getting in a lot of treadmill time in the months where your skin freezes in less than five minutes if any is exposed that it's not really a hardship for me and I figure I might as well be comfortable.

If the choice was between the rain and no run at all, though, I'd go for the rain. No run at all versus a minus forty run though, I'd go with no run at all.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I run sidewalks, and a lot of them in my neighborhood are made of slate and stone. They get rather slippery when wet (ask me how I know :/ ).

When I have a trail available, running in the rain is a delight!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain, a monsoon or thunderstorm not so much. I'm also crazy enough to run when it's -35C outside.

I should also add, I have nice safe recreational paths to run on so I don't need to worry much about the additional hazards posed by mixing cars and poor visibility.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't run outside in strong wind. I use the treadmill instead, but running in rain when it's warm out is fab and keeps me cool. In the UK, you don't get many running days if you don't run in rain. I've run in fresh falling light snow, but not in lightening, hail or when it's slippy out. I have 2 pairs running shoes so they can dry out for my next runs.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oh, and thin wool socks for rain running are a must for me. Anything else gives me chaffing or blisters.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    I get sooooo happy when I get to run in the rain!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    As long as there's no huge puddles that can't be avoided... those tend to put a damper on things. I ran a 5k in some steady/heavy rain. I had to take my glasses off, which kind of sucked (I don't have contacts) since I'm nearsighted. And right at the beginning of the race was a HUGE puddle that everyone had to go through. It made for a very squishy run. Thankfully I'd brought a change of clothes for right after the run. Otherwise I'd have been a drowned rat for the post-race activities.

Otherwise, running in the rain is great.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If temps are decent and it's not a total deluge or major thunderstorm, I do.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I hate wet feet when running so will be sitting this storm out. Usually in Florida it rains in the afternoon and I run in the morning so can dodge it but oh well.