Options
14567810»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    This link lists how many step equals which activity level. Sedentary is between 5,000-7459 steps a day.

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

That doesn't match up with what MFP calculates, though, as I posted above. I've only taken ~6000 steps today, and I've already got a ~300kcal adjustment (my adjustment's more because I weigh more, but the important part is that it's adjusting me upwards with my level set to Sedentary). MFP's sedentary setting seems to be under 3000 steps a day.

Yeah thats what I noted as well. That is why I said doesn't matter so much what they say, it matters what the calculator is actually doing behind the scenes to affect how much it is saying your goal should be.

If you are walking ~6000 steps a day and calling yourself sedentary in MFP and don't have a linked tracker it could very well be telling you to eat 300 calories less than you should be as a result (using daniip_LA's number as an example).

That is what I was refering to when I was saying MFPs sedentary was VERY sedentary and might not be in line with what people think of when they think sedentary.

I drove to work today because I had an early meeting. I have a desk job and have been sat in meetings a lot of the day. It is currently 3:50pm. According to my fitbit I have 4250 steps. I'm not trying to make claims that this is true of everyone with a deskjob please don't interpret it that way but this is a very sedentary day for me and yet if I marked myself sedentary MFP would be shortchanging me on calories because I am actually more active that what it considers sedentary.

On MFP i'm set to lightly active and the calories start going up if I do more than something like 7000 steps in a day (I haven't looked very carefully at when it starts, might be a bit earlier or later).

Even on days I would consider very sedentary (drive to work, sit at work, drive home, maybe go to the store, otherwise sit at home) I tend to get a few extra calories set to lightly active as I end up around 7kish steps. I know thats just me thats not everyone okay, please don't go after me on that.
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am "assigned" 2390 cals a day....granted I have only been logging for the past 4 days, but I try to stay in the 1200-1300, most of the time feeling satisfied and not eating a ton of veggies. I do eat a lot of protein, and my house is not exactly a "healthy" house. I simply make sure that I have salad stuff available if I know I am cooking something higher in calories. I still eat what I want, just less of it balanced with more water and better choices in the day. I can't live on a strict diet....I have tried and failed. I will send you a friend request and you can skim through what I eat. I normally log breakfast before I leave for work, and then fill in the rest in the evening. The only thing I really prep is a snack, and that's because I work and a barn (breakfast is around 5:30) and need something around 11:00 to keep me going until lunch (at 2 or later)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I am "assigned" 2390 cals a day....granted I have only been logging for the past 4 days, but I try to stay in the 1200-1300, most of the time feeling satisfied and not eating a ton of veggies. I do eat a lot of protein, and my house is not exactly a "healthy" house. I simply make sure that I have salad stuff available if I know I am cooking something higher in calories. I still eat what I want, just less of it balanced with more water and better choices in the day. I can't live on a strict diet....I have tried and failed. I will send you a friend request and you can skim through what I eat. I normally log breakfast before I leave for work, and then fill in the rest in the evening. The only thing I really prep is a snack, and that's because I work and a barn (breakfast is around 5:30) and need something around 11:00 to keep me going until lunch (at 2 or later)

I'm assuming 2390 is your TDEE/maintenance calories, right?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

If I understand you correctly that you work in a barn and are only eating 1200-1300 calories a day, I have to tell you, having a physical job and eating that little is a recipe for disaster. Could we get all your stats? Height, weight, goal weight, age? What is the nature of your work?
  • kbsangel1986
    edited September 2016
    Options

Nope, it's my loose 2lbs per week, which I have tried. I do have a hypothyroid issue that was diagnosed in May, and told the doctor what I was doing. She offered me adipex while we get my levels in the correct range. I would rather eat less than take non required meds. To say she was surprised would be an understatement. Apparently not many fat ladies turn down the weight loss pills. She is aware of my current caloric intake, which is significantly better than what it had been (700-900, with only 1/2 pound lost a month). My appetite is a bit wonky and my metabolism is slower than molasses in the winter time (another reason she wanted me to take Adipex), so often times I have to remind myself to eat what I do. Yay for years of yo-yo diets and stupid choices....
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If I understand you correctly that you work in a barn and are only eating 1200-1300 calories a day, I have to tell you, having a physical job and eating that little is a recipe for disaster. Could we get all your stats? Height, weight, goal weight, age? What is the nature of your work?

30 yrs old, female, 5'7. Started at 286, started levothyroxine for hypothyroidism on 5/3/16 and sky rocketed to 301.8 as of 8/26/16...while eating the same, measured and weighed food with a 700-900 caloric intake. Yes I take multi-viatmins, no I do not suggest going that low...that was me being stupid and desperate and f*cking up my body even more.

As for my normal work day, I am a vet tech/barn tech for a local equine practice. Feed anywhere from 8-12 horses, 1 donkey and 2 goats, turn out to various pastures on a 10acre property (individually led....can't take 2 out at a time). Muck and deep bed stalls (can take 2-3hrs, depending on patient/weather/etc), drag arena, throw hay in stalls, twice a week drop and stack hay (10-15 bales), empty water buckets, refill and carry back to stalls, groom horses, assist vets with whatever is needed- holding horses, jogging them, holding sedated horses up for teeth floats, etc (today was a lameness exam that lasted 4 hours. My legs are gonna kill me tomorrow from all the jogging). Lunch somewhere mid day End of day, bring horses in, groom, feed, mix grain for tomorrow. leave for dinner, come back around 8 for final meds, throwing hay, topping off waters and other small things.

According to my jawbone (before it broke the 3rd time), my "days at work" step count was 20k +

Did I make stupid decisions? yep. And now I have a doctor helping me and advising me

Edit: i forgot to put my goal weight....I don't have one really. 180 or less? I carry a decent amount of muscle under the fat, and I don't want to be skinny, just healthy. I'm trying to fix things before health issues arise
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    lots lean protein, lots of veggies, no dressings or little, not much in oils, nuts, peanut butters etc. not drinking calories.

Mostly what he said. I found that I'm not hungry if I prep my meals and know what I'll be eating and when. If I'm on the fly for whatever reason, I'm SCREWED. I also make sure, when I'm logging, to log EVERYTHING. If I don't log every bite, it doesn't work how I'd like it to, and then I get frustrated.

For example, tonight, I made dinner for my family, but I knew it wasn't something I could eat, so I ate my meal while I cooked, and will sip on my tea while they eat, so I can still hang out with them (I also dump mushrooms into "can't eat it food" to keep myself out of it, since I hate the things. Works well).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Nope, it's my loose 2lbs per week, which I have tried. I do have a hypothyroid issue that was diagnosed in May, and told the doctor what I was doing. She offered me adipex while we get my levels in the correct range. I would rather eat less than take non required meds. To say she was suprised would be an understatement. Apparently not many fat ladies turn down the

You have to eat at a 2000 calorie daily deficit to lose weight?
    Hopefully your doctors get this sorted soon. Wishing you the best of luck. :smile:

• kbsangel1986
    edited September 2016
    Options

Nope, it's my loose 2lbs per week, which I have tried. I do have a hypothyroid issue that was diagnosed in May, and told the doctor what I was doing. She offered me adipex while we get my levels in the correct range. I would rather eat less than take non required meds. To say she was suprised would be an understatement. Apparently not many fat ladies turn down the

You have to eat at a 2000 calorie daily deficit to lose weight?
    Hopefully your doctors get this sorted soon. Wishing you the best of luck. :smile:

yep. im fat but somewhat active (that's what I chose for my activity level. It sounds like I'm busier than I am. It's steady, decently labor intensive, but I don't think it actually burns that many calories).

And thanks :)
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Another short woman here. I'm 5'4" weigh 172. MFP recommends I eat 1260 calories per day.

Okay got to stop you there. MFP doesn't have a brain, it isn't a doctor...it isn't "recommending" anything. It is a calculator. You put in numbers, it spits a number back out. The number it spits out is based on what you put in and nothing else. It refuses to go below 1200, that is the only "thinking" it does.

I could also have MFP "tell me" to eat 1260 a day, but that doesn't make it good.

People tend to way underestimate their activity level and put in sedentary when actually they get at least 5000 steps every day from just walking to and from things and they also tend to put in they want to lose 2 pounds a week even though that is for the extremely obese. If you do that MFP will then "recommend" a diet that isn't particularly sustainable, enjoyable or good for your health. It isn't intelligent, its a calculator.
    Some may underestimate activity but some don't, especially on MFP where many have a lot of weight to lose.

I have to set the Body Weight Planner to a Physical Activity Level of 1.3 in order to get an accurate weight loss prediction. BWP is quite useful once you pin down your personal accurate data.
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Also there is a difference between saying "my goal is 1350 calories net" per day and "I eat 1350 calories per day"

I think 1350 is a reasonable NET provided you are eating more than that based on your activity. But eating just a strict 1350 a day is pretty darn low.
    It's low but sedentary women need low if they want to lose weight. I'm 5'5 and in my mid-40's and I'd need to eat about 1300 per day to lose 19 pounds over the next 26 weeks.

eyzmti5kyokl.jpg
    x2imjqfi4w6y.jpg

For me, it's much easier and more sustainable long term not to eat the calories than it is to exercise them off.

I just ran my numbers and it said I would lose .5 lb a week at 1800 calories. I'm 47, 5 ft tall. This is also almost exactly what was figured for me by my PT. So yeah, 1400 isn't nearly enough food for me. I tried it and kept going over, while still losing.