Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    steph7007 wrote: »
    Aaron _k123

Thank you for your opinion but are you a doctor? Um, no is my guess. Or do you specialize in kidney health? Um no is my guess. Or do you read stuff on the Web and take it as gospel? Yes, would be my guess.

My kidney health is fantastic. Just sayin...maybe cause I drink water... lol.... I don't know...

Have you tested your kidneys? Probably not...

What I wrote was for people to read and think about. But thank you for your response.

Well, he's not an md but he has a pH.d

PH.D in what? Lol.... this is so funny. Lol.. do what you want... but thank you again for your opinion

Molecular biology and biochemistry so yeah he's an expert. What's your training?

Yeah, but does he have a Youtube channel?

No :-(

That wasn't a requirement for your dissertation

No...but my dissertation is available online if you are ready for that thrilling gripping read. 159 pages of pure awesome, will leave you gripping your seat waiting to find out what happens next.

Ok now I'm just jealous. Mine is over 500.

Also:

Physical chemist here with extensive background in biochemistry/biophysics chiming in to agree with the scientists on this thread.

Aspartame is safe. The safety of aspartame has been extensively studied for many decades. There is overwhelming evidence of aspartame's safety.

It's a dipeptide, that's two amino acids, the things that make up proteins. It does not trigger insulin, nor would it make any sense for it to do so. And it can help people who are trying to reduce calories in their diet by sweetening many beverages and foods.

Anyone trying to frighten people away from it is not expressing a scientifically informed opinion, but rather is (1) mistaken (2) pushing an anti-science agenda, and/or (3) trying to sell something.

I don't care if anyone uses aspartame or don't use it. I do care when people spread misinformation and blatant falsehoods, no matter how sincere in their beliefs they are.

Damn....that is a looong dissertation. Although I imagine chemistry diagrams take up a lot of space when you constantly have to show reactions. Or are you saying a straight-up 500 pages of text?
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yeah it has nothing to do with the ingredients or biological process, it has to do with the number of calories. And there's this... if you're craving sugar and you eat or drink something that's sugar free, ya know, trying to trick your mind, your brain gets all ramped up for the sugar rush... like thinking "it's coming! it's coming, get ready, here it comes......" and then nothing. So you end up craving it even more which may lead to over doing it.

Negative (for me). Zero calorie sodas or Crystal Light go a very long way to satisfying my sweet tooth.

• almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm going with "I personally feel better if I avoid x," in this case, aspartame. I'm usually skeptical of click-bait headlines claiming that such and such will give you cancer, help you avoid cancer, help you lose weight, make you gain weight, make your brains turn green and run out your ears; generally, they're done on a ridiculously small sample size and never replicated. As an experiment, I cut daily diet sodas/crystal light out of my diet this past winter, and my mental state seems to have improved, even though it had no appreciable effect on my weight. So, tiny anecdotal evidence of a teeny correlation, at best. On the other hand... how much does it really hurt to cut out diet soda and switch to water for a week or two and see how it goes? If you don't feel any different, there's no difference on the scale, and you miss it after a couple of weeks or a month, it's not like the store's going to stop selling it.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Aaron _k123

Thank you for your opinion but are you a doctor? Um, no is my guess. Or do you specialize in kidney health? Um no is my guess. Or do you read stuff on the Web and take it as gospel? Yes, would be my guess.

My kidney health is fantastic. Just sayin...maybe cause I drink water... lol.... I don't know...

What I wrote was for people to read and think about. But thank you for your response.

PH.D in what? Lol.... this is so funny. Lol.. do what you want... but thank you again for your opinion

Molecular biology and biochemistry so yeah he's an expert. What's your training?

No...but my dissertation is available online if you are ready for that thrilling gripping read. 159 pages of pure awesome, will leave you gripping your seat waiting to find out what happens next.

Also:

Physical chemist here with extensive background in biochemistry/biophysics chiming in to agree with the scientists on this thread.

Aspartame is safe. The safety of aspartame has been extensively studied for many decades. There is overwhelming evidence of aspartame's safety.

It's a dipeptide, that's two amino acids, the things that make up proteins. It does not trigger insulin, nor would it make any sense for it to do so. And it can help people who are trying to reduce calories in their diet by sweetening many beverages and foods.

Anyone trying to frighten people away from it is not expressing a scientifically informed opinion, but rather is (1) mistaken (2) pushing an anti-science agenda, and/or (3) trying to sell something.

I don't care if anyone uses aspartame or don't use it. I do care when people spread misinformation and blatant falsehoods, no matter how sincere in their beliefs they are.

Please let the 500 page count be counting appendices stuffed full of every reaction schematic, mechanism, structure, computational work, everything.

Because this analytical chemist doesn't want any part of a 500 pages of text dissertation.
  • missh1967
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What claim?

This claim:
    The are medical facts that contradict diet soda.

The one you keep repeating without any sort of support even though its a pretty extrodinary claim that a food additive on the market for 50 years has "medical facts" that "contradict it" (I assume you mean medical evidence of harm).

Could you provide some with cited sources? You keep saying this but I am not aware of any medical evidence of toxicity or kidney damage or health issues related to consumption of aspartame. I am aware of a lot of misinformation on the internet though so if you end up posting a youtube video from Mercola.com I'm going to have to point out that might not be the most reliable source.

You should go into politics. Your diplomacy is stellar. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    What claim?

This claim:

The one you keep repeating without any sort of support even though its a pretty extrodinary claim that a food additive on the market for 50 years has "medical facts" that "contradict it" (I assume you mean medical evidence of harm).

Could you provide some with cited sources? You keep saying this but I am not aware of any medical evidence of toxicity or kidney damage or health issues related to consumption of aspartame. I am aware of a lot of misinformation on the internet though so if you end up posting a youtube video from Mercola.com I'm going to have to point out that might not be the most reliable source.
    What claim?

This claim:

I'm waiting on the you tube channel :bigsmile:
  • missh1967
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    missh1967 wrote: »

I'm waiting on the you tube channel :bigsmile:

Would watch!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Aaron _k123

Also:

Please let the 500 page count be counting appendices stuffed full of every reaction schematic, mechanism, structure, computational work, everything.

Because this analytical chemist doesn't want any part of a 500 pages of text dissertation.

You have to write all the pages regardless of whether they're appendices or not. :smile: That said, my thesis (organic chemistry PhD) was probably only about 200 pages including everything. And I had a lot of it written before I officially started writing because my supervisor made us write the experimental section for everything as we did it (which turned out to be great advice - as annoying as it was at the time).
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Yeah it has nothing to do with the ingredients or biological process, it has to do with the number of calories. And there's this... if you're craving sugar and you eat or drink something that's sugar free, ya know, trying to trick your mind, your brain gets all ramped up for the sugar rush... like thinking "it's coming! it's coming, get ready, here it comes......" and then nothing. So you end up craving it even more which may lead to over doing it.

I think this is nonsense, at least for me. Maybe if someone is addicted to sugar it could happen. You are describing something like an addiction withdrawal.
  • biggafadda
    biggafadda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    alexreyn13 wrote: »
    "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain."

I've seen this phrase a few times in articles that discuss the effects of diet soda and weight loss. Is there actually any evidence or real science behind this statement?

Effects of stevia, aspartame, and sucrose on food intake, satiety, and postprandial glucose and insulin levels.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900484/
    Only free access study I could find at the moment.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    The dissertation in its entirety exceeded 500 pages. Much of this was already written as nearly everything came from my published peer-reviewed work. Keep in mind that 3d images of protein-protein interactions, models of active sites, potential energy surfaces, reaction potential energy graphs, torsion angle charts take up a lot of space (and a lot of time to produce) . This did not include the original code I wrote a means to an end.

Computational/theoretical work is an entirely different beast and can result in elegant, short dissertations or mighty monsters.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Aaron _k123

Also:

You have to write all the pages regardless of whether they're appendices or not. :smile: That said, my thesis (organic chemistry PhD) was probably only about 200 pages including everything. And I had a lot of it written before I officially started writing because my supervisor made us write the experimental section for everything as we did it (which turned out to be great advice - as annoying as it was at the time).

I know you have to write them, but I feel a big difference between writing 500 pages of text and having 200 pages of images/reactions.

My advisor doesn't require us to write our dissertation as we go, but I had heard it was a good idea, so I have my first section written based on my first publication.
    The dissertation in its entirety exceeded 500 pages. Much of this was already written as nearly everything came from my published peer-reviewed work. Keep in mind that 3d images of protein-protein interactions, models of active sites, potential energy surfaces, reaction potential energy graphs, torsion angle charts take up a lot of space (and a lot of time to produce) . This did not include the original code I wrote a means to an end.

Computational/theoretical work is an entirely different beast and can result in elegant, short dissertations or mighty monsters.

That's what I was hoping to hear.

My dissertation (based off of what my first publication looks like) is going to have at least a hundred pages of images and graphs. The amount of SEM and TEM images I have already is bordering on ridiculous.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,177 Member
    Options

No, your body does not work that way.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,177 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm going with "I personally feel better if I avoid x," in this case, aspartame. I'm usually skeptical of click-bait headlines claiming that such and such will give you cancer, help you avoid cancer, help you lose weight, make you gain weight, make your brains turn green and run out your ears; generally, they're done on a ridiculously small sample size and never replicated. As an experiment, I cut daily diet sodas/crystal light out of my diet this past winter, and my mental state seems to have improved, even though it had no appreciable effect on my weight. So, tiny anecdotal evidence of a teeny correlation, at best. On the other hand... how much does it really hurt to cut out diet soda and switch to water for a week or two and see how it goes? If you don't feel any different, there's no difference on the scale, and you miss it after a couple of weeks or a month, it's not like the store's going to stop selling it.

Because I love diet soda and our city water tastes like crap, that's why.

Same for me. Our city water tastes and smells like a swimming pool. I enjoy diet soda, and that mental enjoyment is an important part of being able to sustain my calorie deficit.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Same for me. Our city water tastes and smells like a swimming pool. I enjoy diet soda, and that mental enjoyment is an important part of being able to sustain my calorie deficit.

It is a choice. The unknown risks against one thing vs another. At least studies have pretty well failed to prove that diet soda causes weight gain. The same can't be claimed about sugar sweetened sodas.

Personally the Tokyo water tends to have a little too much chlorine, or at least is smells that way at times. While I'm drinking more of it I also drink bottled water (which is cheap in Tokyo) and unsweetened teas. Some diet soda is nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that there some harm from it.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Same here. Usually during the summer our city water smells like a swimming pool. If there is an extended drought, it goes from that to smelling like fish. Not exactly what you want to make your morning joe with..