General Q and A thread

Options
1235»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering my questions about breaking plateaus and carb cycling. I'm happy with low carb because it enables me to keep my overall calories low due to blunting hunger and no cravings. But I tend to plateau quickly as my body adapts to lower calories. I thought maybe if I carb cycled it would keep the body from getting used to the low carb?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do seem to feel less inflammation with lower loads nowadays. It is a bitter pill to swallow though because I used to love lifting heavy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Thanks for answering my questions about breaking plateaus and carb cycling. I'm happy with low carb because it enables me to keep my overall calories low due to blunting hunger and no cravings. But I tend to plateau quickly as my body adapts to lower calories. I thought maybe if I carb cycled it would keep the body from getting used to the low carb?

Are you combining low carb with counting? When you plateau, how long are you going before determining that?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I do seem to feel less inflammation with lower loads nowadays. It is a bitter pill to swallow though because I used to love lifting heavy.

I feel you and i am only 34.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »

Are you combining low carb with counting? When you plateau, how long are you going before determining that?

I don't have to count when I'm at maintenance. I stay in a 3 pound range. I did not count at all on low carb because that was in July-August and I was on maintenance at the time.

I "counted" in active weight loss (when I lost 10 pounds) which I'm planning to start up again asap. I will weigh and log carefully in a paper logbook I have during active weight loss.
  • tysonn88rosen
    tysonn88rosen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Used to compete with Olympic lifting - I was about 230+ lb December 2015
    I started training for a bodybuilding competition in January an am now about 200 lb

1- Weight has been coming off while still maintaining some strength but I'm Having trouble targeting my obliques

2- Any advice on getting my lats to grow? Specific workouts, etc..

Thanks!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Used to compete with Olympic lifting - I was about 230+ lb December 2015
    I started training for a bodybuilding competition in January an am now about 200 lb

1- Weight has been coming off while still maintaining some strength but I'm Having trouble targeting my obliques

2- Any advice on getting my lats to grow? Specific workouts, etc..

Thanks!

@tysonn88rosen

Sorry for the delay in replying to this one.

This is going to be more of a generalized reply but the things I'd take a look at would be selecting exercises that directly target the area you are trying to work, hitting them with enough total volume, and making sure that you are applying progressive overload.

Also, during a contest prep diet I don't think you're going to be making gains in muscle mass.

What are you CURRENTLY doing for your lats and obliques and how often?