The cheese appreciation thread

Options
12346»

Replies

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Meh. Goats cheese smells and tastes like butt.
    Stilton FTW!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    An ounce of good cheese and a couple olives is a pretty satisfying snack. The more flavor the better. Your mileage may vary.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I live in a small town where our only grocery store is Walmart. They have a decent, but limited, selection of cheeses -- cheddar, mozzarella, pepperjack, havarti, maybe some pre-sliced provolone and colby-jack, and that's it. I just got a car last week; last night I went to our larger neighboring town and... guys... I bought fontina and BellaVitano sartori and Gruyere and dilled Havarti and blackberry goat cheese and white cheddar Laughing Cow (shut up, they only have original here) and I didn't buy burrata but I think I'm going back for it this weekend. WHEW.

I had never had any of these cheeses before and now I am angry at all the wasted years I wandered cheeseless and alone. So sad. So bereft. And now, so happy (and, possibly, fat).

But just think of all the fun you're going to have while catching up. Your purchases sound rather delicious.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town where our only grocery store is Walmart. They have a decent, but limited, selection of cheeses -- cheddar, mozzarella, pepperjack, havarti, maybe some pre-sliced provolone and colby-jack, and that's it. I just got a car last week; last night I went to our larger neighboring town and... guys... I bought fontina and BellaVitano sartori and Gruyere and dilled Havarti and blackberry goat cheese and white cheddar Laughing Cow (shut up, they only have original here) and I didn't buy burrata but I think I'm going back for it this weekend. WHEW.

I had never had any of these cheeses before and now I am angry at all the wasted years I wandered cheeseless and alone. So sad. So bereft. And now, so happy (and, possibly, fat).

But just think of all the fun you're going to have while catching up. Your purchases sound rather delicious.

TOTALLY! I'm actually really excited about the whole new food world that's just opened up to me... and the cheeses in particular.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

The selection at Whole Foods and Wegmans is pretty great. It's so expensive though. Before losing weight, I often left those stores with $30 worth of cheese and bread for a snack...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town where our only grocery store is Walmart. They have a decent, but limited, selection of cheeses ...

We just discovered there's a "hidden" display of additional cheeses over by our Walmart deli counter that has a few smoked cheeses and some reasonably priced fresh mozzi. "Wally World" is also a good source for big blocks of Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar reasonably priced.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town where our only grocery store is Walmart. They have a decent, but limited, selection of cheeses ...

We just discovered there's a "hidden" display of additional cheeses over by our Walmart deli counter that has a few smoked cheeses and some reasonably priced fresh mozzi. "Wally World" is also a good source for big blocks of Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar reasonably priced.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Meh. Goats cheese smells and tastes like butt.
    Stilton FTW!

I went through a wedge of raw/ unpasteurized Stilton a few weeks ago. So good, and I lived to tell the tale.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options

I only wish ours had a deli counter! It's very basic -- we just got a small section of "bakery" breads this year (as opposed to the regular sliced bread).
  • 2girlzmm
    2girlzmm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Best thread...love absolutely love cheese. Any kind. Could eat cheese all day.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is my go-to for reasonably priced yet still high quality cheese. I love the artisanal shops, but they're 50-100% more than TJ's, I find.