Grossed out by excessive eating after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    So today I noticed for the first time that when people overeat I get disgusted. I went out with my parents today and we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. I got a honey mustard chicken wrap and fries and only ate about half of the wrap and only a quarter of the fries (they gave you so many)! Now, my mom is a good eater, but my dad got a turkey sandwich covered in gravy, and ate it all. Then ate all of my fries plus his which were soaked in gravy. THEN, he ordered a piece of pie! I felt like throwing up. I want to tell him to get healthy, but it would make him angry. I've only lost 13 pounds and already feel this way, is it normal?

You could ask yourself why OTHER people's eating habits bother you. After all, you are not going to gain weight when someone else eats 500 poptarts, are you?
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I'm confused by the responses. Yes, I feel that way. I often say something. Not mean, just kinda like, "wow. I gues you're hungry, eh?"

I'm very judgey of that with friends and family. If its an occasion, I don't care. But, if it's as you described, yes, that's too much food for a person.

I agree the responses are really harsh. Many people go on an Emotional roller-coaster when they start out. Judgement, anger, grief are ALL part of the process, at least they were for me. Everyone tries to make this journey sound so simple. Its not. Food and ALL the feelings associated with change must be processed and sometimes those feelings aren't so pretty. Who are you guys to shame her over it? I don't think shes at risk of getting an eating disorder. I think shes Awakened and most likely cant believe whats shes seeing now. If our society didn't eat so dang much we wouldn't have an obesity problem. Period.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'd feel like I was being judgemental as it's a person's choice to eat as they like. That's forcing your lifestyle change opinions on them. If it's a habit, it's just the "American" way anymore. That said, watching competitor eaters and guys like the dude on Man vs. Food on occasion do gross me out (whether dieting or not). Even when I wasn't dieting and working out, I rarely finished a restaurant meal where the sides are ridiculous. It was just too much for me to finish and I knew it wasn't good for me. Not saying you're right or wrong. You just have to respect it's their right to do what they want to their body....I mean unless he's in danger of having moderate or severe health complications (as he's a family member, I'd understand that). You have the right to be grossed out as much as he does over-indulging.
  • shandarr
    shandarr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best course is to say nothing. All adults can make their own decisions and he's likely going to take offence to being judged.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the responses. Yes, I feel that way. I often say something. Not mean, just kinda like, "wow. I gues you're hungry, eh?"

I'm very judgey of that with friends and family. If its an occasion, I don't care. But, if it's as you described, yes, that's too much food for a person.

I agree the responses are really harsh. Many people go on an Emotional roller-coaster when they start out. Judgement, anger, grief are ALL part of the process, at least they were for me. Everyone tries to make this journey sound so simple. Its not. Food and ALL the feelings associated with change must be processed and sometimes those feelings aren't so pretty. Who are you guys to shame her over it? I don't think shes at risk of getting an eating disorder. I think shes Awakened and most likely cant believe whats shes seeing now. If our society didn't eat so dang much we wouldn't have an obesity problem. Period.

So you are saying it is ok for her to Judge her Father for actions she was doing just a couple months ago? I disagree.
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You have on your judgypants dear, you're going to need to learn to take them off now.

Why am I not surprised to hear you telling some girl to take her pants off. smh.

Had a good giggle.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I thought we weren't suppose to point out who was nasty and disgusting? So I'll end it there, particularly since my meals are huge.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't so blazing hot I would be eating some fries with some gravy. They are awesome that way. I also like fries dipped in may.

The only excessive eating that grosses me out is my own. My idea of excessive has changed a lot. I have gone from being ok eating a pizza by myself to thinking if I eat more than 2000 calories in a day it's too much.

You are going to have a hard life if you judge everyone by how much they eat

I finally found someone that also likes to dip their fries in mayo..yes!!! im not the only one:laugh:
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's cool. There was someone in the restaurant who thought it was gross that you'd eat a chicken wrap and fries instead of something "clean and healthy."

And the judgement train rolls on.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think you need to re-examine your relationship with food.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I thought we weren't suppose to point out who was nasty and disgusting? So I'll end it there, particularly since my meals are huge.

I used to catch myself not commenting aloud but thinking to myself about how much other people were eating. Then I realized how my eating habits look to people on the outside since I tend to eat huge dinners. While I doubt the average overweight Joe is practicing intermittent fasting, it still just made me realize that I don't like feeling like people are judging my eating habits so it'd probably be best if I didn't do it either.

Like others said, lead by example, and if someone asks you what you've done to lose weight or changer your eating habits, try to do so in a helpful manner. After all, if you needed to lose weight, clearly you didn't always have such a good relationship with food and people possibly thought the same rude and negative things about your eating habits.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

So you are saying it is ok for her to Judge her Father for actions she was doing just a couple months ago? I disagree.

If you read my reply before this you will understand where I stand on the issue. Its very cute how everyone is *judging* and chiding her for judging! LOL.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Focus on you :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

this is basically me right now: A serving of pasta is 2ozs? *weighs* *looks to the left**looks to the right* *weighs out 2 more ounces* That looks right.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You have on your judgypants dear, you're going to need to learn to take them off now.

Why am I not surprised to hear you telling some girl to take her pants off. smh.

Had a good giggle.

Hi. :wink:
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I do not care how much other people eat, I have enough to worry about with my own weight. I wish my wife and son ate less but all preaching will do nothing but cause bad feelings because just like quitting anything it won't work unless they want it. That said I think you are being very critical for someone who just started out.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people do this when they first start out, one of the first phases is self-righteousness because - look at you, doing the right thing and getting healthy!

So while it's probably normal, or at least common to think that way, it isn't ok to act on it and be "that" person. Noone likes a self-righteous *kitten*. Specially one who was doing the same thing mere months ago.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

If you read my reply before this you will understand where I stand on the issue. Its very cute how everyone is *judging* and chiding her for judging! LOL.

And adorable how you're judging people for judging her for judging others!

I think we can stop attempting to be clever now or this could go on all night.
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    No no no! I wouldn't say that to him!! What I'm trying to say is that, I'm finally realizes how poorly I used to eat, and really just want my father to eat healthier. I don't wanna lose him any sooner!
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people do this when they first start out, one of the first phases is self-righteousness because - look at you, doing the right thing and getting healthy!

So while it's probably normal, or at least common to think that way, it isn't ok to act on it and be "that" person. Noone likes a self-righteous *kitten*. Specially one who was doing the same thing mere months ago.
    I agree, normal to feel this way, also normal to really quickly get over it when you realize the feelings aren't productive.

I have never pointed out someone overeating, but I have pointed out people eating things that are very unhealthy for them and after a short while I realized that they were not exactly ecstatic to hear these brand new exciting facts. Some people just don't want to know - if, in fact, they don't already know - and it is actually more detrimental to be preachy than it is helpful most of the time. (If you think pointing it out helps, just think about the stereotypes associated with vegans who bring up animal rights issues at the dinner table: it's absolutely not a helpful thing to do and can make a whole group look bad.)

Lead by example; just be happy and healthy and understand they just haven't had their "breakthrough" (or maybe they will not, because it might not be the best thing for them; that's okay too.)