Grossed out by excessive eating after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• IzzyM210
    IzzyM210 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I try to mind my own business...but I do get grossed out with myself after I eat something from Wendys,Mcdonalds etc. I get half way done with the burger and I'm about to gag so I stop lol
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I used to be the ginormous one gorging herself with food, and I am sure I was judged on many occasions for my food choices. Even though I have lost weight and changed the way I eat (still eat the same things, just not as much), I don't think I will ever be in the position to judge others based on what or how much they eat.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    its normal I notice the large portions and how many snacks they eat and call them hogs
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the responses. Yes, I feel that way. I often say something. Not mean, just kinda like, "wow. I gues you're hungry, eh?"

I'm very judgey of that with friends and family. If its an occasion, I don't care. But, if it's as you described, yes, that's too much food for a person.

I agree the responses are really harsh. Many people go on an Emotional roller-coaster when they start out. Judgement, anger, grief are ALL part of the process, at least they were for me. Everyone tries to make this journey sound so simple. Its not. Food and ALL the feelings associated with change must be processed and sometimes those feelings aren't so pretty. Who are you guys to shame her over it? I don't think shes at risk of getting an eating disorder. I think shes Awakened and most likely cant believe whats shes seeing now. If our society didn't eat so dang much we wouldn't have an obesity problem. Period.

Yea, this is true; everyone judges. The responses are varied, but not really "harsh". What you're seeing is a collective input of opinions. I judge like everyone else; however I personally don't feel it's my job to butt into other people's lives and police other people's eating habits. Not only is it not my business; I simply don't care that much.

It's one thing to judge someone -- it's purely another to open your mouth and involve yourself in someone else's business.

"Who are you guys to shame her over it?"

If you are going to ask this question, then I must ask as well: who is she to shame other people over their eating habits?
  • Sierrasage12
    Options
    Hi,

Over eating typically is caused by anxiety or some type of neurosis. I think it is karmatically dangerous for us to judge others. Life turns in a New York minute.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    its normal I notice the large portions and how many snacks they eat and call them hogs

That is such a nice thing to do.
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    I guess I'm just oblivious to the world. I don;t pay attention in the gym, I don't watch what other people eat or how they are eating it.

I really just don't care. I focus on what I'm doing.

YUP!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I thought we weren't suppose to point out who was nasty and disgusting? So I'll end it there, particularly since my meals are huge.

I used to catch myself not commenting aloud but thinking to myself about how much other people were eating. Then I realized how my eating habits look to people on the outside since I tend to eat huge dinners. While I doubt the average overweight Joe is practicing intermittent fasting, it still just made me realize that I don't like feeling like people are judging my eating habits so it'd probably be best if I didn't do it either.

Like others said, lead by example, and if someone asks you what you've done to lose weight or changer your eating habits, try to do so in a helpful manner. After all, if you needed to lose weight, clearly you didn't always have such a good relationship with food and people possibly thought the same rude and negative things about your eating habits.
    No kidding, as you probably see on my wall, I'm having a rant about large meals right now lol (don't worry OP, unrelated to this post). Basically someone told me I was a binge eater...It came totally out of left field since they hardly see me eat and I was purposely trying to eat big since I hardly had anything to eat before that time and it was late and I don't like sleeping on a full stomach so didn't want to snack later.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    No no no! I wouldn't say that to him!! What I'm trying to say is that, I'm finally realizes how poorly I used to eat, and really just want my father to eat healthier. I don't wanna lose him any sooner!

^^^ This should have been your post to start with, again Lead by example, as you lose weight he will ask what changes you have made and at that point you can educate him.
  • Sierrasage12
    Options
    I like your thinking. We never really know what is going on in another person's life.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Me too. Then I spank them and send them to their rooms. Their dad will be paying for their therapy for years.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I'm confused by the responses. Yes, I feel that way. I often say something. Not mean, just kinda like, "wow. I gues you're hungry, eh?"

I'm very judgey of that with friends and family. If its an occasion, I don't care. But, if it's as you described, yes, that's too much food for a person.

I agree the responses are really harsh. Many people go on an Emotional roller-coaster when they start out. Judgement, anger, grief are ALL part of the process, at least they were for me. Everyone tries to make this journey sound so simple. Its not. Food and ALL the feelings associated with change must be processed and sometimes those feelings aren't so pretty. Who are you guys to shame her over it? I don't think shes at risk of getting an eating disorder. I think shes Awakened and most likely cant believe whats shes seeing now. If our society didn't eat so dang much we wouldn't have an obesity problem. Period.

So you are saying it is ok for her to Judge her Father for actions she was doing just a couple months ago? I disagree.

If you read my reply before this you will understand where I stand on the issue. Its very cute how everyone is *judging* and chiding her for judging! LOL.

And adorable how you're judging people for judging her for judging others!

I think we can stop attempting to be clever now or this could go on all night.

LOL, oh but it will!!!! But seriously, people get really self riotous and tend to look at the negative instead of looking at the whole picture. I mean, c'mon. Her dad was stuffing his face with unhealthy foods and here she is changing her whole life around food. Why wouldnt she *notice*? People DIE from obesity and poor nutrition. Lets stop comparing eating large *healthy* meals, and eating back cals after a good workout to what this was. OVEREATING. Are we going to sit here and attack HER because she had a less-than-nice physical/emotional reaction? Shes honest. I dont like cruelty and CLEARLY she DIDNT say anything to him. She asked if there were others who had ever felt that way, and right away people went on the attack. Thats the kind of support you get here in forum though. Your a bad guy if you express emotions beyond "cal in/ cal out" speak. I think people get so " healthy" they forget about the emotional aspect of CHANGE. She clearly had a reaction that hurt HER. She didnt take it out on anyone. I hope she gets past it, to compassion and acceptance but until she does, I wish her well, and shes perfectly NORMAL to have an aversion to something she knows something about and has gone to lengths to correct.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Me too. Then I spank them and send them to their rooms. Their dad will be paying for their therapy for years.

LMAO!
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options

So you are saying it is ok for her to Judge her Father for actions she was doing just a couple months ago? I disagree.

If you read my reply before this you will understand where I stand on the issue. Its very cute how everyone is *judging* and chiding her for judging! LOL.

And adorable how you're judging people for judging her for judging others!

I think we can stop attempting to be clever now or this could go on all night.

LOL, oh but it will!!!! But seriously, people get really self riotous and tend to look at the negative instead of looking at the whole picture. I mean, c'mon. Her dad was stuffing his face with unhealthy foods and here she is changing her whole life around food. Why wouldnt she *notice*? People DIE from obesity and poor nutrition. Lets stop comparing eating large *healthy* meals, and eating back cals after a good workout to what this was. OVEREATING. Are we going to sit here and attack HER because she had a less-than-nice physical/emotional reaction? Shes honest. I dont like cruelty and CLEARLY she DIDNT say anything to him. She asked if there were others who had ever felt that way, and right away people went on the attack. Thats the kind of support you get here in forum though. Your a bad guy if you express emotions beyond "cal in/ cal out" speak. I think people get so " healthy" they forget about the emotional aspect of CHANGE. She clearly had a reaction that hurt HER. She didnt take it out on anyone. I hope she gets past it, to compassion and acceptance but until she does, I wish her well, and shes perfectly NORMAL to have an aversion to something she knows something about and has gone to lengths to correct.

Well said lady!
  • sarily44
    sarily44 Posts: 25
    Options
    First, congrats on your weight loss. In my life, although I weighed over 200 pounds only when I was pregnant with my last child(and then only 215), I think I've probably lost and regained about 400 - 500 pounds, so I've been to the weight loss rodeo often. I agree with the advice to "focus on yourself." That said, it also seems that you spent a lot of time watching what others were eating. There could be a number of reasons. If he is a normal weight or just slightly overweight, then maybe he enjoyed the treat of eating out. If he paid, he might want to get his money's worth. If he works at a job that requires physical labor, he could have just been really hungry.
    And I have to add that feeling physically ill at the sight of other people enjoying food is not normal. Eating is a social act, and those of us who have weight issues/food addiction need to figure out how to work the social part out.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

Yea, this is true; everyone judges. The responses are varied, but not really "harsh". What you're seeing is a collective input of opinions. I judge like everyone else; however I personally don't feel it's my job to butt into other people's lives and police other people's eating habits. Not only is it not my business; I simply don't care that much.

It's one thing to judge someone -- it's purely another to open your mouth and involve yourself in someone else's business.

If you are going to ask this question, then I must ask as well: who is she to shame other people over their eating habits?

But she DIDNT shame him. She didnt say anything to him. She made the mistake of telling MFP Forum so that now instead of supporting a woman at the beginning of her journey with good advice ( a lot Ive actually seen popping up) she could be told shes this, that and the other, re-evaluate your relationship with food, eating disorder, blah blah..
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    When I see people "overeating", I usually think, "Damn, I wish I could eat like that!" Unless they're eating something that I find disgusting - ie: raw meat - I don't think it's gross or puke worthy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

But she DIDNT shame him. She didnt say anything to him. She made the mistake of telling MFP Forum so that now instead of supporting a woman at the beginning of her journey with good advice ( a lot Ive actually seen popping up) she could be told shes this, that and the other, re-evaluate your relationship with food, eating disorder, blah blah..

She may not have said anything, but I'm fairly sure the look of disgust was all over her face.
  • rtrcarrie
    rtrcarrie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You're asking if others find what you feel is normal. Well it's not normal for me, but that does NOT mean it's not normal for everyone. We all have our own "normal" so don't let others judge you (probably shouldn't ask others to do that) for how you feel.

I think others over eating are hurting themselves, but I choose not to say anything. However if they say something about how much I have lost, ask how I did it, or question my eating/exercising in any way I SHARE! I don't put people down but I want to help others just like this site and the many threads I've read over the last almost 1 year have helped me. If you are worried about your father take the opportunity to share when he mentions how good you are doing. Just a suggestion.

Keep up the good work on your own loss and your move towards a healthy happy rest of your life! :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options