Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does the media put pressure on your body image and should there be laws to stop this?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I don't generally care how people phrase things, including you @Gallowmere1984 . What is said is generally far more important than how it's put, in my opinion. I just took issue with the self-analysis, particularly where it regards opinions rather than facts :P

You may not, and to be fair, I don't think I've ever seen you randomly chirp in on my phrasing without actually having something to add to conversation. However, if you're ever bored, go shuffle through a few pages past most of my posts. You'll see all kinds of random driveby posts that consist of nothing more than quoting something I said, and posting "landwhales? Really?"

It's like trying to have a discussion with adults, and every few minutes someone's obnoxious kid will pipe in with "d'awwww, he sez teh derty werds". The first time it's funny. The second time, it's cute. Everything after that is just irritating.

I'll admit I get thrown off by people who get emotion or offended by the posts of strangers on the internet. I really don't understand those who get offended on the behalf of others who themselves did not express that they were offended. But clearly that does happen and if nothing else sometimes it's worth self-censoring just to avoid having to deal with it provided your intent or message isn't somehow lost by changing your wording.

That is a fair point, and something that I've been working on. In many of my more recent and more lengthy posts, it wasn't uncommon for me to find myself spending more time altering word choices than the original write up took.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I don't generally care how people phrase things, including you @Gallowmere1984 . What is said is generally far more important than how it's put, in my opinion. I just took issue with the self-analysis, particularly where it regards opinions rather than facts :P

You may not, and to be fair, I don't think I've ever seen you randomly chirp in on my phrasing without actually having something to add to conversation. However, if you're ever bored, go shuffle through a few pages past most of my posts. You'll see all kinds of random driveby posts that consist of nothing more than quoting something I said, and posting "landwhales? Really?"

It's like trying to have a discussion with adults, and every few minutes someone's obnoxious kid will pipe in with "d'awwww, he sez teh derty werds". The first time it's funny. The second time, it's cute. Everything after that is just irritating.

I'll admit I get thrown off by people who get emotion or offended by the posts of strangers on the internet. I really don't understand those who get offended on the behalf of others who themselves did not express that they were offended. But clearly that does happen and if nothing else sometimes it's worth self-censoring just to avoid having to deal with it provided your intent or message isn't somehow lost by changing your wording.

That is a fair point, and something that I've been working on. In many of my more recent and more lengthy posts, it wasn't uncommon for me to find myself spending more time altering word choices than the original write up took.

These are the reasons why I rarely respond to any posts.

I find it too time consuming trying to word my responses in a manner that not only is considerate of others but also expresses my true thoughts. By the time I am through "wording" a response that is not offensive to "some"...I have usually lost my meaning.

I just haven't been able to find a way to tell someone that they are an "being an idiot" without being in some way offensive. So...I just read and move on.

As far as why people are offended for others(strangers on the internet)...well I have theories on that but I suppose that expressing those would be off topic.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I have found that if people get offended or emotional - it's because you've gotten close to the truth. People don't normally get attached to false information, but proving that weight loss (or lack thereof) is due to personal choices and not the disorder o' the day...you've got a fight on your hands.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

These are the reasons why I rarely respond to any posts.

I find it too time consuming trying to word my responses in a manner that not only is considerate of others but also expresses my true thoughts. By the time I am through "wording" a response that is not offensive to "some"...I have usually lost my meaning.

I just haven't been able to find a way to tell someone that they are an "being an idiot" without being in some way offensive. So...I just read and move on.

As far as why people are offended for others(strangers on the internet)...well I have theories on that but I suppose that expressing those would be off topic.

I have theories too, but they'd probably be offensive ;-)
  • Aaron_K123
    edited November 2016
    Options

Yeah it certainly does take more work. To me its a matter of whether I just want my opinion heard and am using someone elses comment as a reason to voice my opinion on the matter (in which case if they are offended whoopty-*kitten*-doo, its not reasonable to expect me to tailor my own opinion to not offend a particular person) OR if I am trying to really reach someone and engage them in conversation in which case offending them is a quick way to make the defensive and no longer really listening.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Yeah it certainly does take more work. To me its a matter of whether I just want my opinion heard and am using someone elses comment as a reason to voice my opinion on the matter (in which case if they are offended whoopty-*kitten*-doo, its not reasonable to expect me to tailor my own opinion to not offend a particular person) OR if I am trying to really reach someone and engage them in conversation in which case offending them is a quick way to make the defensive and no longer really listening.

For me, as stated previously, it's usually not the person I am addressing who gets all butthurt about how I put things. It's usually just some random driveby with an itchy finger for the report button, and a desire to quickly voice how offended they are, before disappearing back into the land of "no one cares".

Unfortunately, it often ends up with posts getting deleted, which completely wrecks the flow of the conversation that was being had.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think there is a difference in calling someone out and calling someone a name. There doesn't need to be name calling to get a point across. You don't need to censor yourself too much to not call people names.

I've learned the most from snarky and what some would call "mean" posts. But I can't get past the name calling, that sounds childish to me and takes away from the intent of the post.

ETA - Some would call me a "land whale" when I'm out and about at the store or whatever BUT you wouldn't know how hard I've been working to lose weight or how many times I've tried succeeded and only failed on maintaining.

Call people out for being ignorant, call people out for being slow at the grocery store or for whining about why they aren't losing weight cleaning their house but theres no need to call people names. It takes away from the very valuable information you are giving.

I've never reported anyone for what its worth.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    We have enough laws, we don't need more.
    That is all government seems it is good for...to make criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

For me, as stated previously, it's usually not the person I am addressing who gets all butthurt about how I put things. It's usually just some random driveby with an itchy finger for the report button, and a desire to quickly voice how offended they are, before disappearing back into the land of "no one cares".

Unfortunately, it often ends up with posts getting deleted, which completely wrecks the flow of the conversation that was being had.

Yeah but ultimately it is under your control to respond to those people or not. I know it can be annoying to let something you view as stupid just sit there uncontested but getting into a side-argument with a know-it-all who wants to correct you from being rude is most likely just going to annoy the OP as their thread gets derailed. Trust me, I am aware that it is difficult to restrain oneself from doing that...I struggle with that as well.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think there is a difference in calling someone out and calling someone a name. There doesn't need to be name calling to get a point across. You don't need to censor yourself too much to not call people names.

I've learned the most from snarky and what some would call "mean" posts. But I can't get past the name calling, that sounds childish to me and takes away from the intent of the post.

ETA - Some would call me a "land whale" when I'm out and about at the store or whatever BUT you wouldn't know how hard I've been working to lose weight or how many times I've tried succeeded and only failed on maintaining.

Call people out for being ignorant, call people out for being slow at the grocery store or for whining about why they aren't losing weight cleaning their house but theres no need to call people names. It takes away from the very valuable information you are giving.

I guess that is the part I don't understand and its hard to truly empathize with someone without having at least some understanding of why they feel the way they do.

I am a bit overweight, that is why I am here. If Gallow here called me a land whale in a comment on here I can easily state it would have no emotional impact on me whatsoever. Why? Because he isn't a close friend or family member to me that I have some deep running respect for. He is a total stranger. If he calls me a land-whale my thought isn't "how rude" my thought is "well that was a stupid thing for him to say" and I either move on or point out that was a stupid thing to say. The last thing I do is get hurt by a total stranger making a random flippant comment on the internet and if you are truly THAT sensitive that total strangers making flippant comments can ruin your day then most likely you shouldn't be actively participating in public forums on the internet.

Because that is how I feel I sort of assume that other people feel that way as well and am suprised when an adult gets offended by a stranger on the internet. For example I freely state that I don't have a deep running respect for Gallow fully expecting he isn't going to take any offense to that statement simply because I'm not a personal friend or family member to him. I just don't understand how people get so amazingly sensitive that they need total strangers praising them or remaining neutral to them all the time and are thrown off by a single stranger saying something negative. Why not just ignore it if you don't agree with it? Is it a requirement that everyone on earth like and respect us?

That brings up that second point that was mentioned earlier, its hard not to think that people who are offended are offended because they see truth in a statement and they don't like hearing it. If they really think its utterly wrong then why does it have ANY impact on them at all coming from a complete stranger?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Sure, it effects me to a degree, but at the same time I darn well know none of those images are untouched. Law wise- no- people have to be responsible for their own actions. Like I tell the 5 year olds, focus on what you are doing instead of tattle telling on someone else.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

I guess that is the part I don't understand and its hard to truly empathize with someone without having at least some understanding of why they feel the way they do.

I am a bit overweight, that is why I am here. If Gallow here called me a land whale in a comment on here I can easily state it would have no emotional impact on me whatsoever. Why? Because he isn't a close friend or family member to me that I have some deep running respect for. He is a total stranger. If he calls me a land-whale my thought isn't "how rude" my thought is "well that was a stupid thing for him to say" and I either move on or point out that was a stupid thing to say. The last thing I do is get hurt by a total stranger making a random flippant comment on the internet and if you are truly THAT sensitive that total strangers making flippant comments can ruin your day then most likely you shouldn't be actively participating in public forums on the internet.

Because that is how I feel I sort of assume that other people feel that way as well and am suprised when an adult gets offended by a stranger on the internet. For example I freely state that I don't have a deep running respect for Gallow fully expecting he isn't going to take any offense to that statement simply because I'm not a personal friend or family member to him. I just don't understand how people get so amazingly sensitive that they need total strangers praising them or remaining neutral to them all the time and are thrown off by a single stranger saying something negative. Why not just ignore it if you don't agree with it? Is it a requirement that everyone on earth like and respect us?

That brings up that second point that was mentioned earlier, its hard not to think that people who are offended are offended because they see truth in a statement and they don't like hearing it. If they really think its utterly wrong then why does it have ANY impact on them at all coming from a complete stranger?

Of course there is truth in the statement thats why it hurts feelings but my more important point is that it takes away from the very important message one is trying to post. I've made my peace with Gallow I understand sorta where he is coming from, but I don't have to like it anymore than he doesn't have to stop calling people names.

If I see a stranger on the side of the road needing help I stop. A stranger on the internet being called a name isn't any different to me. People have feelings, emotions and most here are looking for help. At Gallows own admission some of his insightful posts are being deleted.

I hope I never stop feeling sad over anyone's hurt feelings internet or not justified or not - this is me. But I will stop addressing it because most people can stand up for themselves and don't need me too:).

I also understand ones right to post or say whatever they want, thats why I haven't or won't ever flag/report these types of posts.

Go and read my very first post on zig zagging its quite embarrassing but I came here to learn and thankfully I can learn from so called "snarky,mean" posts. My issue (after my very first post and my defensiveness dropped) hasn't been with insightful post regardless of how they are presented only with name calling but I'm trying to get over that now, to each his own:).

• avalonblues
    avalonblues Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    No and no.

Agreed!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    We will soon see the health consequences of ignoring health for the sake of feelings.

I see no evidence that anyone is actually ignoring health for the sake of feelings. Doctors still (properly) identify obesity/overweight as a health concern, and the government has had an ongoing effort to educate the public in eating less and moving more. I think people are more aware than being overweight is a health issue than when I was a kid (and far fewer people were overweight).

On the other hand, both then and now (at least in the circles I'm in) health is only a small part of why people don't want to be fat -- it's considered far preferable and more attractive to be thin (and I'm not objecting to this, I agree, which is why my preferred weight isn't simply within the healthy zone, but more like BMI 20-21, where I think I look better). That many people are overweight isn't because they no longer think being thin is preferable, at least not in the society I live in, it's because the environment makes it harder and they haven't adjusted/figured out how to stay a healthy weight despite this yet or simply because humans don't always choose long-term health or even other positive things when making a tradeoff.

I'm honestly not sure which is worse: preferences that induce horrible consequences, or ignorance in a time when the free flow of information has never been more available to the masses.

There is MORE information available for sure. Now the accuracy of that information... well, just look at these forums or the popularity of folks like Food Bad and David "Avocado" Wolfe.

That's true, but as I have said many times, I am not the smartest person in the world, and even I have managed to sort out most of the crap from the useful.

I tend to catch a lot of *kitten* on these forums because I push optimal and not "good enough for sedentary housewives". Believe me, if I can read studies, read work from reputable experts, and shuffle in the "broscience" that actually works in between, anyone who isn't completely mentally deficient should be capable of doing the same. I know, I know...effort.

In my opinion, nothing wrong with pushing optimal, fact of the matter most people will not get there, but much better than pursuing good enough for sedentary housewives and not getting there. Need to keep the bar high.

Quote from, I believe Vince Lombardi, "perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we catch excellence".

Or end up looking mash up after lots of botched plastic surgery
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Weak mindedness should be addressed by a counselor, not by changing a generally acceptable environment.

Think parenting skills need to kick in too
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    It effects many people, but I can't imagine what laws would stop it
    We can't even stop knife and gun crimes