Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are we unfairly bashing foods that contain genetically modified organisms (G.M.O. foods)?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    And now any scientist could locate you.

I say too much but avoid mentioning my political positions. They're far more likely to get me into trouble with some people than my professional opinions.

Interesting aside, I am a chemist, and I worked in a commercial microbiology lab for awhile. It was most educational.

Yeah I want to share because I want to be open and friendly especially when it adds something to the conversation, but that can be a mistake for sure. I'm basically relying on people to be sane and respectful or at least for me to be not worth the time of some crazy. On the internet can't really count on that.

I fully support this stance. This is something my colleagues and I have been fighting for years - the anonymity and subsequent heated rhetoric that follows. I would prefer to let my biases and stances known - this leads to challenging and a review of my perception on matters. I have lost a few government contracts not toeing the line, but I would rather be out a few bucks than have my integrity compromised.

Also something I have noticed is that people rarely if ever get upset at something they know to be false, so if you get a rise out of someone it is because they know its true.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    For those of you out there who aren't scientists, but who want to be properly informed when it comes to nutrition and issues such as this (myself included), let me once again plug Alan Aragon. The below is a great article on the mess that has been made by the fitness industry and how the informed can help.

http://rippedbody.com/charlatans-fitness-industry/
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I saw a video a while ago, two sweet corn, one organic and one gmo. They put them out in the forest. By the end of the day. The organic corn got eaten. The gmo one was left with few bites only.

I don't need studies. I believe animals know better.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    MoonKat7 wrote: »
    I saw a video a while ago, two sweet corn, one organic and one gmo. They put them out in the forest. By the end of the day. The organic corn got eaten. The gmo one was left with few bites only.

Well, I saw a video that showed that squirrels cannot tell the difference. They ate both the same.
  • MoonKat7
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Well, I saw a video that showed that squirrels cannot tell the difference. They ate both the same.

Well, I guess it's a personal reference then, I'll eat the organic and you eat the GMO.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

It's a good thing I'm a human, and I'm smarter than other animals.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Depending on the GMO, isn't "not getting eaten by rodents and other things" the whole purpose?
  • MoonKat7
    Options
    Haha. No humans are NOT smarter than animals. If we were smarter we wouldn't be lining up for junk food.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »

Some animals eat poop. I'm glad I'm smarter than an animal.

As do some humans...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »

Some animals eat poop. I'm glad I'm smarter than an animal.

As do some humans...

Those humans are usually institutionalized.
  • tamms_1965
    tamms_1965 Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    tamms_1965 wrote: »
    My real problem with some GMOs is the fact that they're engineered to stand up to large amounts of pesticides. I don't want any extra Roundup on my plate.

Rather an uninformed statement, IMHO. You do realize, of course, that foods labeled as organic are also grown with pesticides? In addition, many of these "approved" pesticides are actually more toxic than Round Up and need to be used more often since they are usually not as effective.

Yes, I am aware of it. I'm not an expert but i do have two science degrees and worked in food safety for a large food processor. I will not eat ultraprocessed or anything with soy or corn syrup in it. It has just never set well with me....it's a personal choice. Nor do I go around preaching the evils of GMOs.....some are great (insulin-producing bacteria for one). People in my family live well into their 90s (my grandpa will be 99 at Christmas and is still in great health), so I'm having what he's having! I also live in a farming community. Some farmers admit to using more than needed pesticides because it won't kill the crops. My friend's entire garden was destroyed by her husband's over zealous spraying in a neighboring field. Luckily, the younger farmer next to me uses responsibly and has completely stopped crop dusting as well. Funny thing is growing up, my family nor my grandparents/great grandparents used any 'store bought' gardening helpers and always managed to have loads of food. An older farmer friend (2000 acres) has decided to semiretire this year. After paying for the special seeds, fertilizer, and roundup, there's not much left he says. He's going to continue his hybrid sweet corn and wheat production, but give up the field corn and soybean.

I'm not trying to sell my way of thinking or start a side debate......they're tiring and I really don't give enough of a kitten to do so. I've got hot sauce to can and a turkey to roast. But the older I get, the less I tend to put my faith in interpretations of "science." I still believe in science though! I just don't think it's the end all. It's arrogant to think that we as humans know it all. I try to keep an open mind, but I'd rather go with my own version eating healthy.

I avoid it all and grow my own. Have a great week!

Signed a practical, slim, 50ish, medfree, expat wife who is queen of her kingdom :smile:
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all posts yet so I don't know if this has been addressed. A lot of products have been altered so that certain weedkillers can be used without killing the plant. (Roundup) This means we can pour more chemicals into the environment. I can't believe this will ultimately prove beneficial.

I was raised on a farm. 50 years ago farmers routinely sprayed crops with DDT and the local agricultural groups saw nothing wrong with it. They even encouraged it. What we are doing now in agriculture may prove to be the 21st century DDT.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    thehadster wrote: »
    I think it depends on what type of GMO you are talking about. We have been eating GMO foods since the beginning of the human race. Bees fly from flower to flower and cross pollinate. That is their job. The flowers and trees depend on it. Once we began farming, we chose which seeds we liked and planted them. People figured out if you mixed this apple with that apple you got an apple different from both parents and that sometimes it was a really great apple! And bees have been doing that for us for millions of years.

@thehadster, I think you're referring to cross-pollination and/or hybridization, not GMO

Let's all use the same definition of GMO foods, before we start debating...

According to the World Health Organization, "Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) can be defined as organisms (i.e. plants, animals or microorganisms) in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    I have never encountered an actual scientist that is afraid to eat GMO food.

2 TRUE FACTs:
    1) I have never encountered an actual scientist that is afraid to eat GMO food.
    AND
    2 ) I have never encountered an actual scientist that eats GMO food.

How could both of my facts be true ??
    well, you see, I have never encountered an actual scientist ! lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    I have never encountered an actual scientist that is afraid to eat GMO food.

And I have never encountered an actual scientist that eats GMO food.

Paging @Aaron_K123

haha never mind, I got in before the edit.