Carbs

Options
Should i cut out carbs altogether or have little and often?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Cutting carbs all together is hard to do. The next question is why?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Should i cut out carbs altogether or have little and often?

Do you have medical issues where cutting carbs is essential? Because losing weight is about calories...taking in fewer calories than your body burns each day.

Will low carb be a lifestyle change, or just something you cut temporarily to lose weight? The vast majority of people who lose weight will re-gain the weight they lost. Temporary changes are something to be very careful with.

I would start by logging regular foods. Then tweak those macro (protein, fat & carb) percentages as you go. Protein, fat and fiber are filling. So you might find that increasing protein some, and decreasing carbs some helps you stay full longer. Learn as you go.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My main one is bread but i stick to brown bread, maybe i eat potatoes/ rice 3-4times a week,, duno if it helps with weight loss, do i stick to eating it but cut down? x
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    No medical reasons malibu x its just hear-say, some ppl say have it in ur diet others say cut it out, but i love bread
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why two such extreme options?
    Does either extreme seem sensible, sustainable let alone necessary?

Suggest you go to the Getting Started forum and read the sticky threads pinned to the top.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My main one is bread but i stick to brown bread, maybe i eat potatoes/ rice 3-4times a week,, duno if it helps with weight loss, do i stick to eating it but cut down? x

Just measure all your portions. Staying under calories is your main concern first. Then start to figure out where everything fits in. This won't happen overnight.

Eating bread several times a day is likely too much....but eliminating bread altogether doesn't teach you anything. I eat something starchy everyday.....just not several times a day. Find a balance.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    I am new to all this diet/fitness so im just getting peoples opinions. Thanks for replying

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    If you have a problem with carbs and know you're going to over eat with them and/or they effect your body in some way and/or you think it will benefit you to cut down on carbs then by all means do it. But if you're hoping you'll lose weight quicker or easier cutting down on carbs then don't. The only thing you need to know to lose weight is that you shouldn't eat more calories than you burn. Everything else is personal preference. If you want to be healthy too, then eat healthy foods, if you want to improve your fitness do some exercise.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    No i dont have to much carbs i just werent sure if its best to cut it out altogether or not.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    No i dont have to much carbs i just werent sure if its best to cut it out altogether or not.

Then no, it won't help you lose weight.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Ok thanku
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you want to get technical, the only way to cut out carbs all together would be to eat nothing but basically meat. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, dairy, whole grains, etc all have carbs. Limiting carbs works for some people because it helps them get into a calorie deficit. The calorie deficit is how you lose weight. How you personally can get into a deficit, feel satisfied, and like the food you eat, is something you have to figure out. Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No medical reasons malibu x its just hear-say, some ppl say have it in ur diet others say cut it out, but i love bread

If you love bread, work it into your calories. Some people feel more satiated eating fewer carbs. I don't.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No, don't cut them out. That is bad for your body! Just be moderate, and eat carbs together with protein.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Thank u everyone for ur comments i really appreciate it and take every comment on board
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Should i cut out carbs altogether

Why would this be a good idea? Vegetables and fruit and legumes, etc., are/have carbs.
    or have little and often?

If you want. I don't see the point, but you may prefer eating this way. I tend to like foods that are mostly carbs (potatoes, sweet potatoes, grains, fruit, etc.) with a meal. What's "little" or "often" are in the eye of the beholder, and a broad range of carb percentages are compatible with health and weight loss.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If you want to get technical, the only way to cut out carbs all together would be to eat nothing but basically meat. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, dairy, whole grains, etc all have carbs. Limiting carbs works for some people because it helps them get into a calorie deficit. The calorie deficit is how you lose weight. How you personally can get into a deficit, feel satisfied, and like the food you eat, is something you have to figure out. Good luck!

Great points. I am in to nuts in a major way so they are a major carb source in my case.

I found keeping my carbs just under 50 grams daily removed all of my carb cravings after a few weeks. This makes maintenance at 2500 calories daily easy because I stay stuff all of the time.

You will find a way that works for you in time because we are all different and the way another eats may be wrong for you. Best of success.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So when you crave "carbs," would a carrot work?