Carbs

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My main one is bread but i stick to brown bread, maybe i eat potatoes/ rice 3-4times a week,, duno if it helps with weight loss, do i stick to eating it but cut down? x

Carbs or more or less irrelevant to weight loss...weight management is about energy (calorie) balance. Carbs are just the latest and greatest of dietary demons, and there are many sources of carbs that provide little nutritional value relative to the calories...but there are also really nutritious sources of carbohydrates as well...think oats and other whole grains, legumes, lentils, etc.

Some people do well with low carb while others do not...I'm pretty much a moderation in all things kind of guy and avoid extremes.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ahhhh.... carbs. An enemy for some but not for others. First of all, you can't just cut them out altogether. You would die eventually. You need some kind of carbs. Ask you self the simple questions. How do you feel after having more than 30g of carbs at a meal? Sleepy and sluggish? Elevated heart rate? Extremely hungry even though you "just" ate? If those are true for you then I advise maybe cutting down your carbs. Simple carbs especially. Or mostly simple carbs from things like cookies, breads, pasta, candy and the like. How low do you go? Well, tweak it until you hit the sweet spot. For me I feel best when my carb intake is around 100 g-150 g a day. I have the bulk of these late in the day, say dinner and beyond so that when I get sleepy from them it won't matter because bed time is coming anyway.

I recommend keeping track of what you eat for a week or two. Don't adjust anything, just measure what you eat and record it. At the end of the week see what you have on average then go from there. If you usually get 300 g or more of carbs in a day cut down to 250 g and see how that does for you. Tick it down a little about every 2 weeks until you feel like you found what feels best for you. Also you can do carb cycling. If you just really want some days where you have more carbs available in your plan choose a day or two for high carb days and keep the other days lower carb days. This works well for me because I don't feel like I am wrecking my plan by having an ice cream cone or pizza.

All this "it's all about calories" has just been false for me. What those calories come from does matter. I eat the same calories now as I did 3 months ago, but after I cut my carb intake by 200 G a day I began losing weight and I am still losing weight. And no, it isn't water weight because I don't imagine I have lost 23 pounds of water weight. I started out at 187 pounds and am now at 165 pounds. So there you have it. Calories have not changed, only the carbs.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    VegetaSKJ wrote: »
    Ahhhh.... carbs. An enemy for some but not for others. First of all, you can't just cut them out altogether. You would die eventually. You need some kind of carbs. Ask you self the simple questions. How do you feel after having more than 30g of carbs at a meal? Sleepy and sluggish? Elevated heart rate? Extremely hungry even though you "just" ate? If those are true for you then I advise maybe cutting down your carbs. Simple carbs especially. Or mostly simple carbs from things like cookies, breads, pasta, candy and the like. How low do you go? Well, tweak it until you hit the sweet spot. For me I feel best when my carb intake is around 100 g-150 g a day. I have the bulk of these late in the day, say dinner and beyond so that when I get sleepy from them it won't matter because bed time is coming anyway.

I recommend keeping track of what you eat for a week or two. Don't adjust anything, just measure what you eat and record it. At the end of the week see what you have on average then go from there. If you usually get 300 g or more of carbs in a day cut down to 250 g and see how that does for you. Tick it down a little about every 2 weeks until you feel like you found what feels best for you. Also you can do carb cycling. If you just really want some days where you have more carbs available in your plan choose a day or two for high carb days and keep the other days lower carb days. This works well for me because I don't feel like I am wrecking my plan by having an ice cream cone or pizza.

All this "it's all about calories" has just been false for me. What those calories come from does matter. I eat the same calories now as I did 3 months ago, but after I cut my carb intake by 200 G a day I began losing weight and I am still losing weight. And no, it isn't water weight because I don't imagine I have lost 23 pounds of water weight. I started out at 187 pounds and am now at 165 pounds. So there you have it. Calories have not changed, only the carbs.

Carbs are the enemy? As Dom Mazzetti of Broscience says: "Look at them, do you think Uncle Ben and the Quaker oats guy are your enemy? They look as harmless as it gets."
    Uncle_Bens_logo.jpg
    main-qimg-e906226547f0dc9d4add55a676a71259?convert_to_webp=true

ENEMY! For some as I said. I am not the only one who feels sleepy and ravenously hungry on carbs. So yeah. That is why I say it's a good idea to track what the actual intake is and then tweak it from there a little at a time. And rice? Don't even! If I make rice I have to make "just" enough for a single meal, other wise I will eat 15 servings. It gets ugly for real! LOL!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    no carbs=muscle waste as your body needs aminos from something. Moderate carbs is the way to go and as others said track what you eat and be honest and pay attention to the calories recorded in this app since some are very incorrect.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    no carbs=muscle waste as your body needs aminos from something. Moderate carbs is the way to go and as others said track what you eat and be honest and pay attention to the calories recorded in this app since some are very incorrect.

Aminos come from protein. You probably mean glucose which gets made out of aminos if there's not enough.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    As your body runs out of food sources it will start using muscle tissue as a source breaking the muscle down for the aminos. Yes the aminos go to your liver and get converted to glucose.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    And you're saying that the better source for amino acids would be in carbs?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Medically speaking no carbs = muscle sparingly!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When I first started to lose weight, I cut carbs completely. I did lose quite a bit of weight (35-40lbs during that time), so it did work. After about four to five months, I started with a new trainer and he said I should be having (good) carbs with my meals. I was afraid I was going to blow up, but I continued to lose weight and felt more energy, less sluggish, and better than ever. I portioned them and typically eat a carb and a protein together, but they are a huge staple in my nutrition. I eat mostly sweet potatos (5-7oz), regular potatos (7-8oz), whole grain pastas (2-2.5oz), brown rice (1/2-3/4 cup), ezekiel bread (2-3 slices), and rolled oats (1/2-3/4 cup). Adding carbs seemed to help my weight loss and I continued to lose another 25-30lbs).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Medically speaking, that is wrong. Carbs are anti catabolic, muscle sparring and prevent protein degradation. If you do very low carb you have to rely on high amounts of protein to maintain muscle mass. And if you have moderate carbs, adequste protein and adequate training stimulate you have a chance to gain muscle during weight loss. Harder to do so in very low carb diets.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Medically speaking, that is wrong. Carbs are anti catabolic, muscle sparring and prevent protein degradation. If you do very low carb you have to rely on high amounts of protein to maintain muscle mass. And if you have moderate carbs, adequste protein and adequate training stimulate you have a chance to gain muscle during weight loss. Harder to do so in very low carb diets.

Nah. Only in the first few days of going low carb is it catabolic. After that, it is muscle sparing.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Nah. Only in the first few days of going low carb is it catabolic. After that, it is muscle sparing.

Only if protein is high to support. If protein is low, good luck on maintaining muscle.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373635/

Ketone bodies

As noted above, the liver produces ketone bodies during a VLCARB and they flow from the liver to extra-hepatic tissues (e.g., brain, muscle) for use as a fuel. In addition, ketone bodies exert a restraining influence on muscle protein breakdown. If the muscle is plentifully supplied with other substrates for oxidation (such as fatty acids and ketone bodies, in this case), then the oxidation of muscle protein-derived amino acids is suppressed. Nair et al. reported that beta-hydroxybutyrate (beta-OHB, a major ketone body) decreases leucine oxidation and promotes protein synthesis in humans [7]. Although blood concentrations of beta-OHB in their subjects during the infusion of beta-OHB were much lower than concentrations observed in humans during fasting, leucine incorporation into skeletal muscle showed a significant increase (5 to 17%).

@psulemon while there may be other factors that makes no carb or very low carb (ketogenic way of eating) medically protein sparing this is the most simple factor in my mind. I understand how little info about Low Carb High Fat way of eating is available because medically speaking there is little conventional training on the subject I learned two years ago. I have markedly increased my muscle mass over the past year relative to my starting point eating about 50 grams of carbs daily and 70-80 grams of protein daily and walking a 1/4 mile daily plus daily living with an office job eating around 2500 calories daily.

Below is one non dietary protein source for people eating very low carb as in <50 grams of carbs daily.

Chaperone-mediated autophagy.
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18425454
    Abstract
    Chaperone-mediated autophagy (CMA) is the only type of autophagy in mammalian cells able to selectively degrade cytosolic proteins in lysosomes. CMA is maximally activated in response to stressors such as prolonged starvation, exposure to toxic compounds, or oxidative stress. We have found that CMA activity decreases in aging and in some age-related disorders such as Parkinson's disease. Impaired CMA under these conditions may be responsible for the accumulation of damaged proteins inside cells and for their higher vulnerability to stressors.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15325583

Below is another reason I do LCHF hoping to prevent Parkinson's disease and a host of other potential health risks.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27413575
    Parkinsons Dis. 2016;2016:2613401. doi: 10.1155/2016/2613401. Epub 2016 Jun 16.
    Chaperone-Mediated Autophagy and Mitochondrial Homeostasis in Parkinson's Disease.
    Yang R1, Gao G1, Mao Z2, Yang Q1.

Abstract
    Parkinson's disease (PD), a complex neurodegenerative disorder, is pathologically characterized by the formation of Lewy bodies and loss of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta (SNc). Mitochondrial dysfunction is considered to be one of the most important causative mechanisms. In addition, dysfunction of chaperone-mediated autophagy (CMA), one of the lysosomal proteolytic pathways, has been shown to play an important role in the pathogenesis of PD. An exciting and important development is recent finding that CMA and mitochondrial quality control may be linked. This review summarizes the studies revealing the link between autophagy and mitochondrial function. Discussions are focused on the connections between CMA and mitochondrial failure and on the role of MEF2D, a neuronal survival factor, in mediating the regulation of mitochondria in the context of CMA. These new findings highlight the need to further explore the possibility of targeting the MEF2D-mitochondria-CMA network in both understanding the PD pathogenesis and developing novel therapeutic strategies.

To improve mitochondrial health and count I also add PQQ to my diet.

As you can research and read LCHF is not a weight loss program but one way for some to perhaps restore failing health and longevity. Below are my lab numbers for my Low Carb High Fat WOE history to show how LCHF has improved my health markers from two years ago.

Pre LCHF (two years ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

9 months of LCHF (one year ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

17 months of LCHF (today) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No medical reasons malibu x its just hear-say, some ppl say have it in ur diet others say cut it out, but i love bread

If you like it, eat it. Don't base the things you do on 'hearsay" or rumors. Cutting carbs isn't necessary for weight loss at all. You can even lose weight by having a bit of chocolate every day. It's not the types of foods, its all about the calories.

https://metaboliceffect.com/worst-food-combination-for-weight-loss/

@cerise_noir the way I read the above article it seems your advice to MFP readers may be basing the things you are teaching on 'hearsay" or rumors. I think when you develop a more medical understanding about eating you will understand you have not been taught the full truth. The types of foods one eats at the same time could lead to more fat gain than other types of foods eaten at the same time. Just last week the doctor told me the worse combo to eat was high carb and high fat at the same meal. This 4.5 year old article supports my doctor's statement of last week.

The high carb plant based diet has cured me of many ailments. I have AS as well and found that the plant based high carb diet has eliminated the need for medicines. My doctor agrees that the high carb plant based diet is the way to go. I am a doctor myself and would never recommend the Keto diet. When you have a better medical understanding of the Keto diet, you'll see that it isn't all it's cracked up to be on here.

"I'm a doctor myself"

Greetings! I am too. (in Europe at least)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Ketone bodies

As noted above, the liver produces ketone bodies during a VLCARB and they flow from the liver to extra-hepatic tissues (e.g., brain, muscle) for use as a fuel. In addition, ketone bodies exert a restraining influence on muscle protein breakdown. If the muscle is plentifully supplied with other substrates for oxidation (such as fatty acids and ketone bodies, in this case), then the oxidation of muscle protein-derived amino acids is suppressed. Nair et al. reported that beta-hydroxybutyrate (beta-OHB, a major ketone body) decreases leucine oxidation and promotes protein synthesis in humans [7]. Although blood concentrations of beta-OHB in their subjects during the infusion of beta-OHB were much lower than concentrations observed in humans during fasting, leucine incorporation into skeletal muscle showed a significant increase (5 to 17%).

@psulemon while there may be other factors that makes no carb or very low carb (ketogenic way of eating) medically protein sparing this is the most simple factor in my mind. I understand how little info about Low Carb High Fat way of eating is available because medically speaking there is little conventional training on the subject I learned two years ago. I have markedly increased my muscle mass over the past year relative to my starting point eating about 50 grams of carbs daily and 70-80 grams of protein daily and walking a 1/4 mile daily plus daily living with an office job eating around 2500 calories daily.

Below is one non dietary protein source for people eating very low carb as in <50 grams of carbs daily.

Abstract
    Chaperone-mediated autophagy (CMA) is the only type of autophagy in mammalian cells able to selectively degrade cytosolic proteins in lysosomes. CMA is maximally activated in response to stressors such as prolonged starvation, exposure to toxic compounds, or oxidative stress. We have found that CMA activity decreases in aging and in some age-related disorders such as Parkinson's disease. Impaired CMA under these conditions may be responsible for the accumulation of damaged proteins inside cells and for their higher vulnerability to stressors.

Below is another reason I do LCHF hoping to prevent Parkinson's disease and a host of other potential health risks.

Chaperone-Mediated Autophagy and Mitochondrial Homeostasis in Parkinson's Disease.

Abstract
    Parkinson's disease (PD), a complex neurodegenerative disorder, is pathologically characterized by the formation of Lewy bodies and loss of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta (SNc). Mitochondrial dysfunction is considered to be one of the most important causative mechanisms. In addition, dysfunction of chaperone-mediated autophagy (CMA), one of the lysosomal proteolytic pathways, has been shown to play an important role in the pathogenesis of PD. An exciting and important development is recent finding that CMA and mitochondrial quality control may be linked. This review summarizes the studies revealing the link between autophagy and mitochondrial function. Discussions are focused on the connections between CMA and mitochondrial failure and on the role of MEF2D, a neuronal survival factor, in mediating the regulation of mitochondria in the context of CMA. These new findings highlight the need to further explore the possibility of targeting the MEF2D-mitochondria-CMA network in both understanding the PD pathogenesis and developing novel therapeutic strategies.

As you can research and read LCHF is not a weight loss program but one way for some to perhaps restore failing health and longevity. Below are my lab numbers for my Low Carb High Fat WOE history to show how LCHF has improved my health markers from two years ago.

Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

You should probably read the whole study. Because it's states exactly what I said:

Although more long-term studies are needed before a firm conclusion can be drawn, it appears, from most literature studied, that a VLCARB is, if anything, protective against muscle protein catabolism during energy restriction, provided that it contains adequate amounts of protein.

If you want to learn more about the difference between the different diets, I would really suggest the reads of Dr. Layne Norton. He is a professional body builder and utilizes a wide range of diets to achieve his goals.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

^ I recognize the above is an article but it is well sourced.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Ketone bodies

Abstract

Abstract

Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

You should probably read the whole study. Because it's states exactly what I said:

Although more long-term studies are needed before a firm conclusion can be drawn, it appears, from most literature studied, that a VLCARB is, if anything, protective against muscle protein catabolism during energy restriction, provided that it contains adequate amounts of protein.

If you want to learn more about the difference between the different diets, I would really suggest the reads of Dr. Layne Norton. He is a professional body builder and utilizes a wide range of diets to achieve his goals.

and once you up the protein, it is no longer keto, correct?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Ketone bodies

Abstract

Abstract

Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

and once you up the protein, it is no longer keto, correct?

Not necessarily. There is a good amount of debate and variability in how much protein and/or carbs would kick you out of ketosis. Hitting 1g per lb of lbm probably shouldn't kick you out. Also, I have seen some people be able to stay in ketosis with fairly high carbs; like over 150g (but they are cyclist).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Only if protein is high to support. If protein is low, good luck on maintaining muscle.

Low protein in any diet will make muscle maintenance more difficult. Ketogenic diets are typcally moderate protein unless it is a mecicinal ketogenic diet for epilepsy treatment.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Low protein in any diet will make muscle maintenance more difficult but when there are ketones around, it done help spare muscle. Otherwise people who are not eating would burn through muscle quickly as a fuel source. They don't. Fat goes first. Muscle last.

And how are you defining adequate protein?

Also noting that the size of a deficit and training also impact the equation.