Carbs

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As another said, to literally cut out carbs you would have to stick with animal sources of food. Be a literal carnivore. It can be done and can be a healthy way to eat if mindfully done.

I found severely limiting my carbs helped with controlling my carb cravings. I eliminated all added sugar and grains, and eat very little fruit or starchy vegetables. My carbs are vegetables and nuts. Even that tends to stimulate my appetite. The fewer carbs I eat, the fewer I want.

I do have insulin resistance though, so a LCHF diet may do for me than a more metabolically healthy person.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    No medical reasons malibu x its just hear-say, some ppl say have it in ur diet others say cut it out, but i love bread

If you like it, eat it. Don't base the things you do on 'hearsay" or rumors. Cutting carbs isn't necessary for weight loss at all. You can even lose weight by having a bit of chocolate every day. It's not the types of foods, its all about the calories.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    No medical reasons malibu x its just hear-say, some ppl say have it in ur diet others say cut it out, but i love bread

If you like it, eat it. Don't base the things you do on 'hearsay" or rumors. Cutting carbs isn't necessary for weight loss at all. You can even lose weight by having a bit of chocolate every day. It's not the types of foods, its all about the calories.

https://metaboliceffect.com/worst-food-combination-for-weight-loss/

@cerise_noir the way I read the above article it seems your advice to MFP readers may be basing the things you are teaching on 'hearsay" or rumors. I think when you develop a more medical understanding about eating you will understand you have not been taught the full truth. The types of foods one eats at the same time could lead to more fat gain than other types of foods eaten at the same time. Just last week the doctor told me the worse combo to eat was high carb and high fat at the same meal. This 4.5 year old article supports my doctor's statement of last week.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

@cerise_noir the way I read the above article it seems your advice to MFP readers may be basing the things you are teaching on 'hearsay" or rumors. I think when you develop a more medical understanding about eating you will understand you have not been taught the full truth. The types of foods one eats at the same time could lead to more fat gain than other types of foods eaten at the same time. Just last week the doctor told me the worse combo to eat was high carb and high fat at the same meal. This 4.5 year old article supports my doctor's statement of last week.

A blog entry from an "integrative physician"?

Could you perhaps include a link to some reputable, peer-reviewed scientific research which backs those claims? I'm sure the OP and anybody else reading this thread would feel a little more confident taking your advice if it had some legitimate sources validating it.

yeah, like every piece of advice in this thread
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

The high carb plant based diet has cured me of many ailments. I have AS as well and found that the plant based high carb diet has eliminated the need for medicines. My doctor agrees that the high carb plant based diet is the way to go. I am a doctor myself and would never recommend the Keto diet. When you have a better medical understanding of the Keto diet, you'll see that it isn't all it's cracked up to be on here.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Should i cut out carbs altogether or have little and often?

To carb or not to carb that is the question ;)

What are your goals?

Fat loss?

Muscle building?

• sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    After reading all the comments i will stick to having carbs but just hav little portion sizes as i do get bloated, thank u to all off u for the advice im very grateful
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Actually, I base my information from scientific and medical studies, personal experience, experience of many others, my dietitians knowledge, knowledge from scientists (physiology) on this board...

....not random blogs from the internet.

My personal experience of almost 100lb weight loss goes against the links you post, and no, I am not a special snowflake. I don't go googling to find any bit of information that supports my own beliefs/thoughts. I ask my dietitian, those who are in the science field here or I search for papers of peer reviewed studies.

Your doctor. Doctors have insufficient nutrition knowledge. Even my GP tells me that, which is why I have a dietitian. My GP is genuinely interested to listen to what the dietitian has to say and he even takes notes. How's that for awesome?

In this case, OP actually WAS referring to hearsay.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    what wrong with the "diet" industry is they scare people into eliminating entire food groups with 0 concrete evidence or information. So people who are depserate cut out the food groups and have no idea why. If you love bread and carbs and have no medical reason to eliminate then dont do it.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    what wrong with the "diet" industry is they scare people into eliminating entire food groups with 0 concrete evidence or information. So people who are depserate cut out the food groups and have no idea why. If you love bread and carbs and have no medical reason to eliminate then dont do it.

and this is exactly why pseudo science must always be put in it's place...
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »

Don't worry, people got it completely wrong when they did it with fat in the 80's and 90's. But this time, it's completely right and no one ever needs to eat carbs. In fact, lets swing a full 180 and recommend eating anything as long as no carbs are consumed.

I'm sure there will be no detrimental health concerns from this, and in 20 years, we totally won't be wondering what the hell we were thinking.

a literal disease will be the only way to stop be from eliminating anything.. whats wrong with eating all of the foods?!!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    There's no demon food keeping you fat. There's no miracle food that makes you thin. Eat a variety of food that you enjoy, keeps you reasonably full, and meets your nutrient needs, and eat at a reasonable calorie deficit.

By and large, for weight loss, what you eat is almost irrelevant compared to how much you eat.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    There's no demon food keeping you fat. There's no miracle food that makes you thin.

Sadly this is the case, as much as we would all like to believe otherwise...