Protein Bar Questions

Options
15678911»

Replies

• jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    New Flavor ZonePerfect: Salted Caramel Brownie! I really like them!
  • hillaryjess
    hillaryjess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just tried a bar that has been surging in popularity lately--the FitJoy bar in the Frosted Cinnamon Roll flavor. Short review: I like it. It's comparable to Quest or Oh Yeah! in macros and composition but way more appetizing looking than both. I'll post a full review to my blog on this and some of my other bar experiments within the week!
  • jopalis
    Options
    I won't call it a protein bar but it is a really tasty treat ...Clif Bar Pumpkin Spice. It is 240 per bar and only 8g of protein. I cut in half and use as a cookie type treat. The spice and bit of crunch is nice.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    So I finally tried an Oh Yeah! One bar...Birthday Cake. It was like taking a step back in time...tasted like protein bars from a generation ago. Edible, but not worth the premium price tag.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I prefer meal replacement bars like Joylent Twenny Bars that have 20% of your daily nutrition requirements, they are pricey at $2.00 per bar, 400 calories. (21g protein) Flavors: Banana, Chocolate.

I also like Soylent Food Bar, a bit more pricey per calorie than Joylent, 12.5% of your daily nutrition requirements, $1.90 per bar: 250 calories, (12g protein). Flavor: Caramel.

Specifically protein bars?

Costco Brand Protein Bars: $1.12 per bar. 190 calories, (21g protein).
    Flavors: Chocolate Brownie, Chicolate Chip Cookie Dough
  • brialger
    brialger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For Quest I have Cookies and Cream, Smores, or Chocolate Chip Cookie dough

I also have Combat Crunch Bars Cinnamon Twist and Chocolate Cake

I love them all and have had them at all times of the day depending on my situation. I usually have them for breakfast but have often had them for lunch on the go. I've even had them around dinner time when I was out at a junk food filled place with friends and there was nothing healthy for me to eat and late at night when I hadn't eaten for 6 hours and was hungry.
  • hillaryjess
    Options
    brialger wrote: »

I love them all and have had them at all times of the day depending on my situation. I usually have them for breakfast but have often had them for lunch on the go. I've even had them around dinner time when I was out at a junk food filled place with friends and there was nothing healthy for me to eat and late at night when I hadn't eaten for 6 hours and was hungry.

I could probably OD on a warm, slightly melty Quest cookies and cream bars. So good.
    And with everyone raving about the Combat Crunch Bars I'm going to have to finally jump on these things.
    Also, you've totally nailed it with these bars being life savers when on the go or at an event with less than ideal choices. Love taking them to sporting events and the movies to keep out of the other nasty garbage.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I can't see why you wouldn't be able to have a protein bar 2-3 hours before bed :smile:
    As far as flavours go, I like most of the Quest Bar flavours, the chocolate chip ones or the smores ones are good, I also really like the apple pie one.

My favourite protein bars though are Grenade bars - the white chocolate ones are amazing!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    brialger wrote: »

I could probably OD on a warm, slightly melty Quest cookies and cream bars. So good.
    And with everyone raving about the Combat Crunch Bars I'm going to have to finally jump on these things.
    Also, you've totally nailed it with these bars being life savers when on the go or at an event with less than ideal choices. Love taking them to sporting events and the movies to keep out of the other nasty garbage.

Warning: all the Combat Crunch bars I've tried have had a candy/chocolate-type coating (like the pumpkin Quest one did). If you're coming from Quest that might be a surprise for you. It was for me and it was a really unpleasant one, as I find the coating to be both hypersweet and somewhat filmy in the mouth.
  • hillaryjess
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Warning: all the Combat Crunch bars I've tried have had a candy/chocolate-type coating (like the pumpkin Quest one did). If you're coming from Quest that might be a surprise for you. It was for me and it was a really unpleasant one, as I find the coating to be both hypersweet and somewhat filmy in the mouth.

Thanks. That doesn't really scare me off though. I think the Quest bars look terribly unappetizing for the most part so something that actually looks like a treat will be a refreshing change of pace. I'll keep that in mind about the coating once I do get my hands on one though! Much appreciated!
  • jopalis
    Options
    Robert Irvine's chocolate peanut butter Fit Crunch bars are FANTASTIC!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Some of my faves are:

Dymatize: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Peanut Butter (tastes like fudge)
    ON Nutrition: Birthday Cake Bites & the Chocolate Frosted Doughnut bites are good
    Quest: White Chocolate Raspberry & Cookies & Cream
    OhYeah!: Both of the Chocolate Chip Cookie Doughs are good (the one with the chocolate coating & the one without)

I used to love Combat Crunch Birthday Cake, but lately the bars have been hard as a rock compared to a softer bar the first few times I bought the brand.