Protein Bar Questions

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have heard that Costco makes a bar that imitates the quest bar in natural ingredients for far less cost. You can eat whenever you want, all that matters is how you feel with your eating patterns, and then the amount of calories/macros/nutrients in a 24 hour period. Every day does not have to be the same, roll with the ebbs and flows of your body.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Speaking of candy bars, anyone tried the marathon snickers protein bar? I really want to find them somewhere.
    I have and they are pretty good tasting.

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    3) I've been experimenting with other bars, too. Comparable to Quest in macro composition is the Oh Yeah! brand. Also desserty flavors, but more sugar alcohols (if that makes any difference to you). These are overall way softer out of the package than Quest and don't need any heat to be edible and delicious. I <3 the birthday cake flavor along with most people who seek these things to satisfy their inner fat kid while keeping lean! White Chocolate Raspberry is killer, too. I'm dying to try to chocolate birthday cake one tonight.

Oh you MUST report on the chocolate birthday cake flavor, I have been dying to try!

Will do! I'll post something here as well, but my current main avenue for reviews will be on my Instagram @nerdragefit

@divcara As promised, I'll weigh in on the Oh Yeah! chocolate birthday cake protein bar--
    Let me first express how high I had set the bar for this one. I love the Oh Yeah! original birthday cake flavor so much that it's what got me interested in trying a ton of protein bars and reviewing them. I finally felt that higher quality bars might be worth the money, and that they all don't taste like chalky garbage. Also, on the sweet tooth side, I have a tendency to budget some form of chocolate in my IIFYM plan daily #doitforthechocolate The bar was set HIGH.

So as with my approach for most of these bars, this was a way to hit my numbers and treated like a dessert (rather than fuel or recovery after a workout). I looked forward to it all day. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with it. The outer chocolate coating tasted similar to a Tootsie Roll, which isn't terrible, but combined with the filling really brought out the artificial flavors. Whereas I don't have an issue with the aftertaste of the original birthday cake like many others do, I found the chocolate stuck with me in the not-so-great way.

Ultimately was it inedible? Absolutely not the case--I totally ate the whole thing. Was it my favorite though? Not a chance. Would I buy it again? Maybe. I'd consider incorporating it into a recipe of some sort or topping half a bar with some low-fat fro-yo and some Walden Farms chocolate syrup for an indulgent, less-guilty treat. Basically, I think it was okay alone but would be improved paired with something else.

Let me know if you try it out though! I think I may be in the minority based on a few reviews on it that I read previously.

Your review of Oh Yeah! One's Chocolate Birthday Cake is spot on. I couldn't believe that the same company couldn't make a chocolate cake bar equally awesome as their vanilla birthday cake bar.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    the only thing about the fit crunch bars is besides the high calories,they way more than the package states. one said 88g and it was 100g. so gotta watch that too(good idea to weigh them if you weigh your food)

This is so true! Most all of my protein bars are indeed higher, *sometimes* near, the serving size in grams, but Combat Crunch bars and Fit Crunch bars are usually much higher. Now, I don't mind having more of a good thing to eat, especially since the bars are costly, but if I wasn't weighing my bars, I'd be consistently overeating.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Speaking of candy bars, anyone tried the marathon snickers protein bar? I really want to find them somewhere.

I had one once. I was underwhelmed. It was OK, but nothing special. Maybe my sights were set too high, IDK.
  • candrist
    candrist Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like the thinkThin High Protein Bars. Brownie Crunch is my Favorite with 20g of protein
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So as with my approach for most of these bars, this was a way to hit my numbers and treated like a dessert (rather than fuel or recovery after a workout). I looked forward to it all day. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with it. The outer chocolate coating tasted similar to a Tootsie Roll, which isn't terrible, but combined with the filling really brought out the artificial flavors. Whereas I don't have an issue with the aftertaste of the original birthday cake like many others do, I found the chocolate stuck with me in the not-so-great way.

Ultimately was it inedible? Absolutely not the case--I totally ate the whole thing. Was it my favorite though? Not a chance. Would I buy it again? Maybe. I'd consider incorporating it into a recipe of some sort or topping half a bar with some low-fat fro-yo and some Walden Farms chocolate syrup for an indulgent, less-guilty treat. Basically, I think it was okay alone but would be improved paired with something else.

Thank you for the update @hillaryjess !! I have to say, I am actually relieved to hear this. I come across enough finds that ruin my life that it's almost relief to not have another temptation! Not that protein bars are bad. It's just that when they are THAT good, I will eat about six. At once.

I am a big fan of the regular birthday cake, I like the almond bliss, peanut butter pie, and I really like the lemon one which surprises me because I'm not a huge lemon fan and most of the time artificial lemon products taste like pledge. Thanks for the review, keep them coming!!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Any protein bar much over 13 calories per gram of protein I consider junk food and generally don't buy them. There are a few exceptions that I consider treats more than just protein supplements, but in general if I'm going to consume 380 to 410 calories I expect there to be at least 30g of protein in it. Most of the "healthy" or mainstream ones you hear about have very little protein. Decide on the reason you're eating them, and look for that in the ingredients. If it's for protein, then it better have a good amount of it in the bar for the calories you're going to consume. Larabars are delicious.. but only have 4g of protein so I consider them junk food because protein is what I'm looking for in a protein bar. I get my fiber from bran cereal in the morning and veggies throughout the day, so I don't need it in my protein bars. Same goes with Special K bars, Cliff Bars, etc. Yes, they are better for me than a straight up candy bar, but unless I have mindless calories to burn I'm going to stay away from them. I'd be better off just eating meat or buying beef jerky of some sort. Again, my humble opinion only.

Almost all the protein bars I've looked at have been around 200 calories. The one I eat occasionally is 190 calories, 21g protein and 15g fiber. I don't look at that as junk food. My understanding is that "protein" bars in the calorie range you are talking about are 'Meal Replacement' bars, not normal protein bars. There is a difference. I use mine as an occasional supplement when it looks like my protein or fiber may fall short for that day, I've only eaten one in the last five days. The ones that have 400 calories are meant to replace an entire meal.
  • hillaryjess
    hillaryjess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    samsmom46 wrote: »
    Check out Larabars. They only have natural ingredients - no chemicals or sugars!

Larabars are delicious, but they're very low in protein compared to actual protein bars.

Beat me to the punch here. I agree that Larabars taste good and have a better natural ingredient composition than most granola/health/snack bars on the market, but I prefer them when I'm on the go and need a quick dose of carbs (and for whatever reason a fruit or decent carb source is not available).
  • hillaryjess
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    I have and they are pretty good tasting.

Great to hear! I'll be excited to give these a shot myself since I like to "cheat" with a regular Snickers from time to time.
  • hillaryjess
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Your review of Oh Yeah! One's Chocolate Birthday Cake is spot on. I couldn't believe that the same company couldn't make a chocolate cake bar equally awesome as their vanilla birthday cake bar.

Glad someone else agrees. I thought I might be the only one!
  • hillaryjess
    Options

I am a big fan of the regular birthday cake, I like the almond bliss, peanut butter pie, and I really like the lemon one which surprises me because I'm not a huge lemon fan and most of the time artificial lemon products taste like pledge. Thanks for the review, keep them coming!!

You got it! I'll have to give the lemon one a shot since it sounds like we're in the same boat when it comes to the flavor. I was a big fan of the white chocolate raspberry Oh Yeah! too. Review on IG: https://instagram.com/p/BKJbVULAjLU/?taken-by=nerdragefit I have the rival Quest bar in the pantry that I'll be curious to compare it to soon.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So I actually like the Quest white chocolate raspberry better than the Oh Yeah! one for that flavor. I'll be interested to know what you think! Also, how do you have any Quest bars in the pantry? Haha, I have to buy mine as needed or they don't stay around long. ;)
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    1. Sure - but I typically eat them earlier in the day or after a good workout (regardless of time of day)

2. I heat my Quest bars, depending on flavor, for 8-10 seconds. Also you can get good deals if they are close to expiration at GNC and heating them up makes them soft sooo.. Quest (nice fiber)- The flavor I am in love with right now is the Blueberry Muffin! The others I love is PB&J or the Mixed Berry.

3. OhYeah (high in sugar alcohols) - Cinnamon Roll is so flippin delicious but the Birthday Cake is good as well. Robert Irvine FitCrunch - These are like candy bars!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Almost all the protein bars I've looked at have been around 200 calories. The one I eat occasionally is 190 calories, 21g protein and 15g fiber. I don't look at that as junk food.

I wouldn't consider that bar junk food either, it's simply snack size and has roughly 9 calories per gram of protein. By my standards that's not only a good bar but a great one.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    FitCrunch - These are like candy bars!

They certainly taste like it! However you won't find 16-30g of protein in a candy bar. I eat them frequently because I have the calories to waste and I love the taste. Quest bars are generally better for you but I simply don't like the chewy taste that reminds me of taffy. I see Quest has new recipes, and I'll be honest I have not tried them, but I used to get the chocolate chip cookie dough and some other flavors and after a half dozen or so could not stand them any longer. I will probably break down and try Quest again soon, but they also have a lot of fiber which I generally don't need, so the Fit Crunch and others fit my needs better. If I was a better baker I'd probably just make my own lol.
  • hillaryjess
    Options
    Also, how do you have any Quest bars in the pantry? Haha, I have to buy mine as needed or they don't stay around long. ;)

Ha! Right? My family still is under the impression (even in spite of all my ravings) that all protein bars taste equally chalky and gross. Until the big secret is exposed and as long as I can keep myself under control #thestruggleisreal I keep a modest stock. It still doesn't stop me from keeping the things hidden in a dark undiscoverable corner of the pantry...
  • hillaryjess
    Options
    FitCrunch - These are like candy bars!

They certainly taste like it! However you won't find 16-30g of protein in a candy bar. I eat them frequently because I have the calories to waste and I love the taste. Quest bars are generally better for you but I simply don't like the chewy taste that reminds me of taffy. I see Quest has new recipes, and I'll be honest I have not tried them, but I used to get the chocolate chip cookie dough and some other flavors and after a half dozen or so could not stand them any longer. I will probably break down and try Quest again soon, but they also have a lot of fiber which I generally don't need, so the Fit Crunch and others fit my needs better. If I was a better baker I'd probably just make my own lol.

1) Excellent. Fit Crunch is definitely on my radar for my heavy run days where I've got tons of calories to spend.
    2) I've tried making my own with mixed results. Some taste delicious but are really just baked treats that are marginally better for you. Others have been a real waste of time and resources. All in all, don't feel bad about lacking in the baking prowess!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    B-UP from gnc...the cookie dough is way better then quest imo..love alot of the quest ones but I only get the ones without the artificial sweeteners (the ones with stevia thay is natual) kirkland (costco) also has quest type bars for more then half the price and they are very comparable
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    And time of day ? I have seen several articles that protien a few hours before bed helps with hungrier and maintain muscle...idk how true it is lol