Protein Bar Questions

Options

Replies

• gudgy
    gudgy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Grenade carb killas all the way for me. or PHD diet whey chocolate orange.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I am new to protein bars & am a little curious about a few things....
    1. Can you have protein bars about 2-3 hours before you go to bed?
    2. For QuestBar eaters, what are you favorite flavors? If you heat them up, for how long?
    3. Other than Quest, what are your favorite protein bars?

Thank you ahead of time for all responses! :-)

I used to eat 5-6 quest a day. Mostly before bed with no problem lol. They changed their formula and now they have a weird aftertaste and aren't as good. My favorites now are fitjoy, oh yeah one! bars, probar core, and clif builders.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Just because I avoid artificial sweeteners and need to watch my sugar, I eat Oatmega and Raw Rev Glo bars. Both are low sugar, and they taste pretty good.
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    eIIekay wrote: »
    I buy ones that are okay but not fantastic. If they are too good, they will disappear from the pantry too fast. :)
    <3 Clif Bars

Careful with cliff bars, high in macros!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter when you eat them. I'm not a huge fan of protein bars, but I'm one of the 12 people on the planet who really love the Stawberry Cheesecake quest bar. It's my favorite. Mmm!
  • emeraldprincess71
    Options
    I buy the Zone Perfect. I like the chocolate peanut butter ones best. All of them I have tried are good, IMO. Of course that may just mean they aren't the best ones because they taste good. lol However I only use them when I am too busy to eat a meal or can't meet calories for the day.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    1. You can eat protein bars any time of the day.
    2. My favorite Quest flavors are double chocolate chunk, white choc raspberry, cookie dough, choc peanut butter.
    3. I'm really digging Kirkland's new protein bars. Identical in taste and macros to Quest at a fraction of the cost (<$1 per bar). Others that I like are FitCrunch, Combat Crunch, Supreme Protein and Pure Protein.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    1. Sure, I sometimes eat one for dessert, somewhere between 7-8 PM, in bed by 10 PM. The other night, I woke up really hungry at around 1AM and I downed one then.

2. I don't like Quest bars, so I can't answer.

3. I like the Pure Protein bars - reasonably priced at Wal-Mart and Target, not so much at the local (chain) supermarket. My favorites: Dark Chocolate Coconut, Chocolate Peanut Caramel, Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Chocolate Deluxe. All around 20 g of protein for 180-200 Calories in the 50 gram bars. The Blueberry and Strawberry are great, too, but I haven't seen them in the value packs.
  • GetFitKTB
    GetFitKTB Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I keep my protein bars in the refrigerator because I think they taste better cold. Sometimes I eat one with some fat-free/lite cool whip, and/or with a little peanut butter. I prefer the Atkins Cookies N Creme bars. I don't see any reason not to have one 2- 3 hours before bed, but I would think it's better to have them earlier in the day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    GetFitKTB wrote: »
    I keep my protein bars in the refrigerator because I think they taste better cold. Sometimes I eat one with some fat-free/lite cool whip, and/or with a little peanut butter. I prefer the Atkins Cookies N Creme bars. I don't see any reason not to have one 2- 3 hours before bed, but I would think it's better to have them earlier in the day.

Oh, yeah - I forgot. My wife loves the Chocolate Deluxe, heated up in the microwave for 5-10 seconds with a little peanut butter. I haven't tried it, but it sounds TREMENDOUS.

• itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

2. For QuestBar eaters, what are you favorite flavors? If you heat them up, for how long?

1. Sure. Nutrient timing can play a part in one's nutrition, but it should only be considered well after calories, macronutrients, and micronutrients have been prioritized.
    2. Cookies and Cream was my favorite, though several of the flavors were good. Heat in a microwave either for 7 seconds on high or 15 seconds at 50% power.
    3. Costco recently came out with protein bars similar in texture to Quest bars (under their Kirkland brand). They're less than half the cost of Quest bars, have as much or more protein than any of them (21g), and have lots of fiber (15g). They come in two solid flavors, which may be a downside if you have a psychological need for variety. I don't, and reach for Kirkland every time, but many people get upset and irritable if they don't have lots of choices.
  • laura935
    laura935 Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I love the coconut cashew quest bars! Also delish are the chocolate chip cookie dough and white chocolate raspberry.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    GNC LEAN BARS are pretty good & comparable to the quest bars. Not as many flavors that is the only downside but i like the chocolate chip & brownie flavors anyways
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Chocolate mint is by far my favorite. It tastes like Girl Scout Cookies (Thin mints!) and doesn't need to be heated up. Second place are the chocolate chip cookie dough and s'mores, each heated about 10-15 seconds. Amazing. Last night I tried the lemon cream pie and was shocked that I love it. The double chocolate chunk is also good. I absolutely hated the coconut cashew and chocolate peanut butter. I threw each of them out after a bite.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I can answer #2 easily; S'mores.....all the way. I've also had Cookies and Creme too but it was ok. Quest bars were better in the day before they changed the ingredients. It use to be Whey protein listed first before the milk protein. Still love them and eat them when I get a chance.

#3. I've had Think Thin; those aren't bad. 20g of protein and are a good price. I try to stick with the powder protein because it feels like it does more justice based on having a full stomach. But bars would be my go to if I was low on cash.

#1 I never had an issue having a protein bar a couple hrs before bed. If you are hungry, I would suggest cottage cheese. There's an article on bodybuilding.com for those that do night snacking that are beneficial for your health and exercise.

Good luck to you.
  • EternalTruth
    EternalTruth Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    "Pure Protein" brand bars

My favourite too. I have a chocolate deluxe one each day.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the White Chocolate Raspberry bar from Quest, but I only eat them occasionally. They are made with sucralose, which I like to avoid. Coscto has a kirkland brand of the quest bar in the chocolate chip and brownie one. I think they taste identical and they have better ingredients.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My favorite qwest bar is the s'mores, though I like the cookies and cream too, haven't tried any others. I don't heat mine up, never even thought to try that. Lol. but s'mores is good on it's own. Super satisfying. 3 hours before bed should be fine, though maybe if you have problems with it maybe have it late afternoon. If I'm hungry within 2-3 hours of bed I have an Ostrim beef jerky or turkey jerky or whatever kind I feel like. You can get those at GNC, they are my favorite, sometimes I pair them with a qwest bar and that's my lunch.
  • hautej75
    hautej75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb with protein bars is simple. just because its a health bar doesn't mean its right for you. Look at the label and think of it as another food source. i can eat a higher calorie bar because my body has a huger caloric need. if you are trying to lose then pay attention to the calories and carbs.