Protein Bar Questions

Options

Replies

• lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Quest fan, so it's hard to pin my favourite down. I've tried all of them with the exception of Key Lime and Cheesecake (and maybe one or two others). My favourites right now are Double Chocolate Chunk and S'mores. The mint chocolate chip and cookies-and-cream are close seconds. I even like the apple pie and berry ones. Go figure. The peanut butter ones and the cinnamon roll are kinda meh.

I'll eat them for postworkout snacks or when I'm feeling sick and need to get my macros but don't want to eat lots of food. Or if I'm on a trip and don't have access to enough food to fit my macros.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    ONE BARS cinnamon roll flavor. that and quest cookie dough are life.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    H722R wrote: »
    You should try Oh Yeah One Bars. Birthday cake and Almond Bliss are the best! Once you try them you wont go back to quest bars. And for your first question, yes.

birthday cake is sooo good. Has trans fats though.
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really like Questbars as well - Smore's, peanut butter and jelly and cookies & cream are my favorite. I've never heated them up as I like them room temp. Interested to try a few mentioned here though!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I found one called fitjoy,they are a bit pricey and only found them online but they have 20g of protein and 13g of fiber. they are really good too. also a pretty good one is the birthday cake flavor by fit crunch.
  • mikek7214
    mikek7214 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like the Kirkland Protein Bars which some have said are similar to Quest Bars but less costly. Sold at Costco.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    mek1966 wrote: »
    I like the Kirkland Protein Bars which some have said are similar to Quest Bars but less costly. Sold at Costco.

if only we had a costco here
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

You can also buy them online > link.

More expensive than the store, but still significantly less than the name brand bars.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

More expensive than the store, but still significantly less than the name brand bars.

yeah,I would have to order online. can you order single bars? I would hate to order a whole box and not like them.
  • izzybelle2013
    izzybelle2013 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am on a paleo diet, so I am careful to eat that kind of protein bar. I love Caveman bars, particularly blueberry. I also really like RX bars, and Kit's Organic Cashew Bars (which come from Clif). I eat them as a meal, mostly breakfast, not as a snack.
  • alyssagilbert09
    alyssagilbert09 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Robert Irvine's Fit Crunch bars are the best protein bars I've had and I feel like I've tried them all. My favorite is the Cookie Dough.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

yeah,I would have to order online. can you order single bars? I would hate to order a whole box and not like them.

Costco is a bulk seller. As far as I know, you can only get them in the 20 count twin packs (40 bars total).
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    White Chocolate/Raspberry and Cookies and Cream quest bars are good, but I love the Daryl's All Natural Caramel Salted Peanut. Yum!
  • itsjanaye
    itsjanaye Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fave Quest Bar is Double Chocolate Chunk!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Id recommend a casein type protein at night along with a healthy fat item (avocado). I say this assuming your eating it at bed time as a means to stave off Catobolism while your sleeping, but I may be incorrect in that assumption.

For me a protein bar is for "on the go". I often eat one on the way to the gym if I hadn't had anything to eat in the 2-3 hours prior to my workout as to provide some fuel. Sometimes I eat them at work if I get hunger pangs. Most are loaded with alcohol sugars (or some sugar)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I am new to protein bars & am a little curious about a few things....
    1. Can you have protein bars about 2-3 hours before you go to bed?
    2. For QuestBar eaters, what are you favorite flavors? If you heat them up, for how long?
    3. Other than Quest, what are your favorite protein bars?

Thank you ahead of time for all responses! :-)

Personally, my eating schedule is wack because I have a long commute, long work day and spend hours in the gym. I usually eat two protein bars x day because they're easy to eat on-the-go and aren't too much to eat right before or after the gym. I eat dinner around 9PM and go to bed at 11PM, so if you want to eat a protein bar then, I don't see a problem with it. I know tons of people who are totally against pre-bedtime eating, but with a crazy schedule, it's impossible for me to NOT eat late and it hasn't caused me any harm so far. A protein bar 2-3 hours before bed is a better alternative than anything else I could imagine getting munched on at night (i.e. ice cream, chips, etc.)

Also, as for Quest Bars - Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Cookies & Cream are the best. S'mores and Mint Chocolate Chunk are good too. I never heat them up though. As for other brands, try OhYeah ONE Bars Birthday Cake - the rest of their flavors are also amazing. These taste great when chilled.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Can you have protein bars about 2-3 hours before you go to bed?
    - I do, I don't think the times matter but I'm not doing fasting or anything special. I eat them mostly when I need to get a protein boost and am feeling hungry.

For QuestBar eaters, what are you favorite flavors? If you heat them up, for how long?
    - Double chocolate chunk and the smores flavors are my TOP top favorites and are a must try imo. The oreo looking ones are ok. The peanut butter and jelly flavor.. yeah don't bother, lol! I don't heat them up but their IG page shows people baking with them and such, so it's possible.

Other than Quest, what are your favorite protein bars?
    - Oh Yeah One bars are low carb and are very good, although they taste much sweeter than Quest bars. Their birthday cake flavor has sprinkles!

Costco sells their own brand (Kirkland) of protein bars but be aware the texture is VERY different from Quest bars. They almost have a chewy/taffy texture. They taste fine though. You get a big box of around 18 bars or so and the flavors are chocolate chip and brownie.

Edit: formatted for clarity
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I buy the Zone Perfect. I like the chocolate peanut butter ones best. All of them I have tried are good, IMO. Of course that may just mean they aren't the best ones because they taste good. lol However I only use them when I am too busy to eat a meal or can't meet calories for the day.

Agree. I think the Zone Perfect are definitely the best tasting.

Quest bars aren't awful, but they are absurdly expensive.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    double post