Protein Bar Questions

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Eat them whenever you want. Any Fitjoy, One Bar, Think Thin flavor all taste lightyears better than any Quest Bar.
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 129 Member
    The best bars are the ones I make myself I know exactly what's in them and they taste great.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I stick with the Zone Perfect protein bars. I get the Fudge Graham, the Peanut Butter, and the Dark Chocolate Almond. Both the FG & PB are 210 calories for 14g of protein and the DCA is 190 calories for 12g of protein.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    mek1966 wrote: »
    I like the Kirkland Protein Bars which some have said are similar to Quest Bars but less costly. Sold at Costco.

if only we had a costco here

You can also buy them online > link.

More expensive than the store, but still significantly less than the name brand bars.

yeah,I would have to order online. can you order single bars? I would hate to order a whole box and not like them.
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Maybe a nice MFP member who buys in bulk will offer to send you some sample bars of a few so you can try them out? It's just a thought, members on here do all sorts of cool things for other members!
    I sure would love to but our Costco's aren't built yet plus I eat Pure Protein bars.

Never thought they would come here but now we're getting 2 built and Sam's club is getting scared. :laugh: Sam's keeps blocking the land development each time Costco finds a good one.

Have you checked Costco's website for future store sites? You might be on the list.. :wink:
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    Fiber one coconut bar . 140 calories
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited September 2016
    I like the Kirkland Protein Bars which some have said are similar to Quest Bars but less costly. Sold at Costco.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting to keep a handful of protein/fiber bars around the house as a 'just in case' for the rare days I'm short. I just got back from picking up a box at Costco. 190 calories, 15g fiber and 21g protein for just $.90 a bar for the Kirkland bars versus the normal $2.20 to $2.80 per bar I see for the Quest bars in stores. Woot!
  • kwtilbury wrote: »

if only we had a costco here

You can also buy them online > link.

More expensive than the store, but still significantly less than the name brand bars.

yeah,I would have to order online. can you order single bars? I would hate to order a whole box and not like them.
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Maybe a nice MFP member who buys in bulk will offer to send you some sample bars of a few so you can try them out? It's just a thought, members on here do all sorts of cool things for other members!
    I sure would love to but our Costco's aren't built yet plus I eat Pure Protein bars.

Never thought they would come here but now we're getting 2 built and Sam's club is getting scared. :laugh: Sam's keeps blocking the land development each time Costco finds a good one.

Have you checked Costco's website for future store sites? You might be on the list.. :wink:

that would be really nice. and no costcos coming here anytime soon. we have one in PA but its more than 4 hours away from where I live,would cost me more in gas there and back than it would to buy the bars lol. I will look online and see what I can get. not sure if you can order if not a member though.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited September 2016
    Hmm. Checked out Quest bars today. Bought 3 kinds though I doubt I continue. I like Zone and more affordable. I do like the crunchy bits in Zone. Quest does have a lot more protein.

What I would really love if I could find some protein bars that were crunchy and some that were savory. I get tired of soft and sweet. Anyone?

Tried the S'more flavor Quest...not a fan.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited September 2016
    TommyW45 wrote: »

Really? 6 grams of protein?
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 7,961 Member
    I like Pure Protein bars and Kirkland Protein bars. I buy value-paks of them at Costco. Comes out to 98 cents a bar for the Pure Protein, and I think 90 cents a bar for the Kirkland bars. 20-21 grams of protein and the Kirkland bars have a ton of fiber.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    jopalis wrote: »
    Hmm. Checked out Quest bars today. Bought 3 kinds though I doubt I continue. I like Zone and more affordable. I do like the crunchy bits in Zone. Quest does have a lot more protein.

What I would really love if I could find some protein bars that were crunchy and some that were savory. I get tired of soft and sweet. Anyone?

The only thing that came to my mind is Quest chips. 22g protein in 130 calories is fairly respectable. Unfortunately, the flavor of the chips is not. Unlike the better sweet tasting bars, which can be an acceptable substitute for a candy bar, these chips are nowhere near being able to similarly pass for a good bag of potato chips. Still, if you're looking for a savory alternative, this is one. Maybe the only one. I'd never before thought about how all these protein products are sweet, not savory.
  • TommyW45
    Hornsby wrote: »

They are good and I think for protein verses calories a great choice
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Do they have the balls to call it a protein bar?

I like the Muscletech Mission 1. 21g protein, 17 fiber, 200 calories. Also like most of the MetRX bars. Can get them for less than $6 for a 4 pack at my local Wal-Mart.
  • semisweetsmile
    semisweetsmile Posts: 13 Member
    Can you have protein bars about 2-3 hours before you go to bed?
    - I do sometimes, but only if I had just worked out and/or haven't eaten enough protein for the day. I often pop them in the toaster oven (I don't have a microwave lol), which tastes amazing and you get a slightly golden crisp exterior! Makes some of the Questbars I dislike (namely PBJ and Smores) taste amazing.

For QuestBar eaters, what are you favorite flavors? If you heat them up, for how long?
    - Cookies and Cream for sure. There's a new Blueberry Muffin one that is also pretty good. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (also new) wasn't so bad--I think they were a bit too cinnamon-y for me. I put them in my toaster oven and just keep an eye on them so they just get a slight golden brown exterior .. maybe 30 sec-1 min?

Other than Quest, what are your favorite protein bars?
    - Think Thin, Rx, gomacro (gotta watch out for the macros though .. good ingredients but count can be high)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

They are good and I think for protein verses calories a great choice

I'd have to echo the others that I don't consider 6g of protein from 140 calories as a good protein source. That's only 17% of the total calories for the bar in protein. A Quest Chocolate Brownie bar is only 30 calories more, yet has over 3x the protein (20g), and 15g of fiber. That's 47% of total calories for the bar in protein.

If I'm just eating something for a snack and don't particularly care about my macros at the moment, it matters less - but for somebody who's turning to bars as a means of increasing their protein intake, I'd think they would want to maximize their bang for the buck, so to speak.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I like Quest bars, but don't heat them up. I take them with me as a snack on the go. I like most of the flavors, with mint chocolate chunk, apple pie, and double chocolate chunk or brownie probably being at the top of the list (ooh, but the new oatmeal chocolate chip is also good).

For a smaller bar, I also like Detour simple snack size bars (all flavors have a yummy caramel layer) or Quest protein crunch bars(waffle flavor).

Why would eating them 2-3 hours before bed make any difference? Meal timing is irrelevant. I've eaten protein bars for breakfast or dessert without a problem.
  • amybugfit
    amybugfit Posts: 40 Member
    White chocolate raspberry Quest bars. I don't heat them up, like them as is.

This is my favorite as well.
  • TommyW45
    I don't eat them for protein . I eat them instead of candy bars etc. , they are not for everyone . I have tried some that taste like horse feed and these are my snack food !
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    EDollah wrote: »
    jopalis wrote: »

The only thing that came to my mind is Quest chips. 22g protein in 130 calories is fairly respectable. Unfortunately, the flavor of the chips is not. Unlike the better sweet tasting bars, which can be an acceptable substitute for a candy bar, these chips are nowhere near being able to similarly pass for a good bag of potato chips. Still, if you're looking for a savory alternative, this is one. Maybe the only one. I'd never before thought about how all these protein products are sweet, not savory.

Thank you. There was a brand I tried once that had pizza flavor, etc. I can't recall what it was though. The chips sound good as far as protein and calories but doesn't sound like they taste that good. thank you though!