Keto Diet

Options
Hi everyone. I'm looking for others who are on the Ketogenic diet. This has been a lifestyle change for me and I'm excited for my health. Would love input, advice and so forth from others on the Keto journey.

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Join the Low Carber Daily Forum. :smile: or the LCD group.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi, Keto here too. The Low Carber Daily Forum group is a great place to meet people and a wealth of information.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hope you have success with it. :)

Here's a link to the LCD group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.abstract
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Ehh?
    As a follower of the ketogenic diet I have yet to experience hunger. I am 33lbs down and this is a way to eat I can see myself following for life. My food is tasty and each meal so enjoyable. I do not ever starve, my cravings are few and far between. It is easy to follow. And omg you get to eat bacon, cheese, butter, cream, full fat milk, veg, fruit, pizza, ice cream, burgers with all the toppings, bacon and melted cheese and still LOOSE weight! Win win for me.
  • cee134
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If interested in trying a lower-carbohydrate diet, try to include some fruits, vegetables, and whole grains for essential vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.

If you do decide to follow a higher-protein, lower-carbohydrate eating plan, choose the healthiest sources of protein possible. Remember that limiting red meat and avoiding processed meat—and choosing healthier high-protein foods in their place, such as fish, chicken, beans, or nuts—will help the heart and the waistline.

Research shows that a moderately low-carbohydrate diet can help the heart, as long as protein and fat selections come from healthy sources.

Learn more about healthy Low-Carbohydrate Diets: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/low-carbohydrate-diets/
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    If interested in trying a lower-carbohydrate diet, try to include some fruits, vegetables, and whole grains for essential vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.

If you do decide to follow a higher-protein, lower-carbohydrate eating plan, choose the healthiest sources of protein possible. Remember that limiting red meat and avoiding processed meat—and choosing healthier high-protein foods in their place, such as fish, chicken, beans, or nuts—will help the heart and the waistline.

Research shows that a moderately low-carbohydrate diet can help the heart, as long as protein and fat selections come from healthy sources.

Learn more about healthy Low-Carbohydrate Diets: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/low-carbohydrate-diets/

Fruits, whole grains, and beans are not low carb. They are moderate carb. My goal is 50g carbs a day. And I certainly won't spend them all on one measly serving of brown rice or something. There are vegetables that have far less carbs, and far more nutrients than rice.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Hope you have success with it. :)

Here's a link to the LCD group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Seriously, if you want to go low carbs, join us in the low carb forum and talk to people who are eating this way, get advice, ask your questions, get support. You'll find we're a friendly and welcoming group.
  • cee134
    edited September 2016
    Options

Fruits, whole grains, and beans are not low carb. They are moderate carb. My goal is 50g carbs a day. And I certainly won't spend them all on one measly serving of brown rice or something. There are vegetables that have far less carbs, and far more nutrients than rice.

Whole grains: quinoa, millet, amaranth, Barley (hulled), Wheat berries, etc.

What’s most important is the type of carbohydrate you choose to eat because some sources are healthier than others. The amount of carbohydrate in the diet – high or low – is less important than the type of carbohydrate in the diet. For example, healthy, whole grains such as whole wheat bread, rye, barley and quinoa are better choices than highly refined white bread or French fries.

Many people are confused about carbohydrates, but keep in mind that it’s more important to eat carbohydrates from healthy foods than to follow a strict diet limiting or counting the number of grams of carbohydrates consumed.

The healthiest sources of carbohydrates—unprocessed or minimally processed whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans—promote good health by delivering vitamins, minerals, fiber, and a host of important phytonutrients.

Fiber is important for your digestive health as well as regulating blood glucose. Foods with fiber, such as broccoli, beans, and apples with the skin, 100% whole-wheat bread take longer to be digested, so glucose is released into the bloodstream slowly. Isn't that the point of Low carb? To regulate glucose?

I think most people find success with low carb diets because they make a correlation with the diet and with weight lose and don't look at the facts. I think low carb cuts out alot of junk food, processed foods and refined sugars by limiting the amount of refined carbohydrates, such as white rice and white pasta, which have had their fiber and nutrients removed. Also low carb diets helps with calorie restriction for the same reason, it cuts out alot of high calorie low nutrient foods. I think anyone that eats this way is going to lose weight and eat healthier but not because it is low carb but because they are restricting their calories. If able to lose weight and do it healthy, then that's what is important.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/
  • Shadowmf023
    Options

What’s most important is the type of carbohydrate you choose to eat because some sources are healthier than others. The amount of carbohydrate in the diet – high or low – is less important than the type of carbohydrate in the diet. For example, healthy, whole grains such as whole wheat bread, rye, barley and quinoa are better choices than highly refined white bread or French fries.

Many people are confused about carbohydrates, but keep in mind that it’s more important to eat carbohydrates from healthy foods than to follow a strict diet limiting or counting the number of grams of carbohydrates consumed.

The healthiest sources of carbohydrates—unprocessed or minimally processed whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans—promote good health by delivering vitamins, minerals, fiber, and a host of important phytonutrients.

Fiber is important for your digestive health as well as regulating blood glucose. Foods with fiber, such as broccoli, beans, and apples with the skin, 100% whole-wheat bread take longer to be digested, so glucose is released into the bloodstream slowly. Isn't that the point of Low carb? To regulate glucose?

I think most people find success with low carb diets because they make a correlation with the diet and with weight lose and don't look at the facts. I think low carb cuts out alot of junk food, processed foods and refined sugars by limiting the amount of refined carbohydrates, such as white rice and white pasta, which have had their fiber and nutrients removed. Also low carb diets helps with calorie restriction for the same reason, it cuts out alot of high calorie low nutrient foods. I think anyone that eats this way is going to lose weight and eat healthier but not because it is low carb but because they are restricting their calories.

Whole grains still cause a spike in glucose.

Low carb works because fat is satiating.

Cuts out high calorie, low nutrient foods? ... Do you realize that fat is higher in calories than carbs and protein?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I think most people find success with low carb diets because they make a correlation with the diet and with weight lose and don't look at the facts. I think low carb cuts out alot of junk food, processed foods and refined sugars by limiting the amount of refined carbohydrates, such as white rice and white pasta, which have had their fiber and nutrients removed. Also low carb diets helps with calorie restriction for the same reason, it cuts out alot of high calorie low nutrient foods. I think anyone that eats this way is going to lose weight and eat healthier but not because it is low carb but because they are restricting their calories.

Cuts out high calorie, low nutrient foods? ... Do you realize that fat is higher in calories than carbs and protein?

There isn't universally true. It appears there are a subset of people who are satiated by fat and others by carbs. I am the latter.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

There isn't universally true. It appears there are a subset of people who are satiated by fat and others by carbs. I am the latter.

True. I should have clarified that I was speaking for most people who do LCHF, because they are satiated by fat.
  • cee134
    edited September 2016
    Options

Fats are high in calorie and fat is satiating. But protein and fibrous foods are also filling.

I know for a fact I can lose weight eating any way I want if I stay at or under my calorie goal. If you are losing weight, that's the point. However, I would disagree with the weight lose being caused because someone is eating low carb. I would agree that a low carb diet restricts a bunch of high calorie foods that the person may normally eat. So whatever way, that is healthy, that restricts a healthy amount of calories is a great way to lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

True. I should have clarified that I was speaking for most people who do LCHF, because they are satiated by fat.

Yep -- different foods are satiating for different people.

I also think being in ketosis can be helpful for some who struggle with appetite or cravings. It's not an issue for me, but if I had that problem I might try it.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Is there a sample meal plan for a day somewhere that can be looked at?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't do it, but from what I've seen there's a huge diversity of diets within the framework of low carb/keto. You can eat extremely healthfully or not. Understanding your goals and the macros you want (basically, ketosis or just lowering carbs) is an important place to start, and not being afraid of fat.

As mentioned upthread, the forum is a good resource: Here's a link to the LCD group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

That is why when one tells another to eat/don't eat this way or that way on social media they have crossed the line of common sense. After 63 years I learned carbs are not my friend. @psulemon reports carbs work fine for him however. Simple process of elimination is all that I had to do learn where my body preferred carbs or fats.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

That is why when one tells another to eat/don't eat this way or that way on social media they have crossed the line of common sense. After 63 years I learned carbs are not my friend. @psulemon reports carbs work fine for him however. Simple process of elimination is all that I had to do learn where my body preferred carbs or fats.

Fats are actually the first thing i cut when i am losing weight. They are expensive and have no impact on my appetite. I increase protein, fiber and starches. For me the meal with the highest satiety is a sirloin and baked potato (with a little butter but its equal without). Also, my body just doesn't respond well to low carb diets. My exercise goes down the crapper and energy is terrible, even with my normal sodium levels of about 4 to 5k.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Fats are actually the first thing i cut when i am losing weight. They are expensive and have no impact on my appetite. I increase protein, fiber and starches. For me the meal with the highest satiety is a sirloin and baked potato (with a little butter but its equal without). Also, my body just doesn't respond well to low carb diets. My exercise goes down the crapper and energy is terrible, even with my normal sodium levels of about 4 to 5k.

Fats are the first thing I increase, followed by fibrous vegetables, and a baked potato would be the first thing to go. We're all different it seems.