Bacon

Options
13»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I would say it definitely depends on the diet you are working to maintain. If you are keto, LCHF, Atkins, paleo, AIP... then eat ALL the low/no sugar bacon you want (almost)... but if you are trying to manage your calories or fat macro, bacon can take up a lot of your daily allocation. So, if you are in the first group, eat it for sure but if you are in the second, I would make it as a treat and look for alternatives (e.g., Canadian/back bacon, turkey bacon) if you'd like to eat it more often.

Center cut bacon is about 35 calories a slice, hardly a calorie bank breaker.

Even the regular bacon I buy is only 40 cals/slice. If I splurge on thick cut bacon it is 75 cals/slice. Unless people are eating a pound in a sitting, I often think bacon gets a bad rap in the calorie department.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Mmmm bacon. You could switch to turkey bacon to save some calories and fat.

Ross-Why-Would-You-Do-That.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I would say it definitely depends on the diet you are working to maintain. If you are keto, LCHF, Atkins, paleo, AIP... then eat ALL the low/no sugar bacon you want (almost)... but if you are trying to manage your calories or fat macro, bacon can take up a lot of your daily allocation. So, if you are in the first group, eat it for sure but if you are in the second, I would make it as a treat and look for alternatives (e.g., Canadian/back bacon, turkey bacon) if you'd like to eat it more often.

Center cut bacon is about 35 calories a slice, hardly a calorie bank breaker.

Even the regular bacon I buy is only 40 cals/slice. If I splurge on thick cut bacon it is 75 cals/slice. Unless people are eating a pound in a sitting, I often think bacon gets a bad rap in the calorie department.

I think I had the calories for bacon way off at one point by using the raw entry and weight: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2597?manu=&fgcd=&ds=

It's not a great breakfast for me, but using the real numbers it's a lot easier to fit in and I do occasionally (although I still think it's overrated just because so many people seem to orgasm every time it's mentioned).
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i used to eat it everday with no issues. I dont eat pig anymore.. dont miss it except for dipping in suyrup. (i dont eat it due to pet pig)
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love bacon. But I do t get it often because it is so time intensive and expensive. When I cook bacon my husband has a problem with only cooking enough for THAT meal and insists I cook the whole packet. Which is a waste of bacon, and should be a crime.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    md40cci402rg.png

True words! Turkey bacon, IS NOT BACON.
    Made it once. My DH said, "What is this?" I answered, "turkey bacon".

He said, don't ever make it again. That was 4 years ago, and I never have made it again.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    I love bacon. But I do t get it often because it is so time intensive and expensive. When I cook bacon my husband has a problem with only cooking enough for THAT meal and insists I cook the whole packet. Which is a waste of bacon, and should be a crime.

Why would you ever let it go to waste? If there is leftover bacon you can crumble it for salads, use it in soups or pasta sauce, add it to hamburger meat for burgers, one lets, paninis...

Letting bacon go to waste truly is a shame...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yummy. Bacon... If calories go to high, I say drop the eggs and keep the bacon.

In my house, I think we go through 5 packages of bacon per week. LOL
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    BACON !! all the bacon

I like bacon sandwichs/rolls. Inside a toasted english muffin with a fried egg and a wee bit of cheese. Also dipping it into soft boiled eggs. SO GOOD !

Streaky bacon is my fave. I'm in New Zealand so we have different cuts, streaky, middle, shoulder, probably some others . YUM
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I make my own. Most recently about 5lbs of espresso maple bacon.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Almost all my best greens recipes involve bacon.