35 pounds in 2 months?

Options
Hi,

I would like to know if anyone here has achieved similar results. I would like to do this and would love to hear from those of you who have done so.

This would mean on average 4 pounds a week, and I know this is more than recommended and very well aware of the usual advice out there in terms of slower=more sustainable. So no need for comments that are saying this isn't good, healthy, wise etc.. Please respond if you have ideas, suggestions, tips on making it happen. Much needed! Fyi I'm a 39 year old woman 5ft 9in and 210.6 pounds (just started two weeks ago at 216.8). Thank you!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What's the rush?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're aware that it isn't good, healthy, or wise, why is it that you're wanting to try it?

The TOS on this website keep us from being able to recommend unhealthy weight loss methods. You're basically asking people to violate TOS.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to lose that much in a two month period unless you are like morbidly obese which you are not.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    VLCD is never a good route to go and will get your thread closed. To loose 35 pounds in 2 months is setting yourself up for failure, saggy skin and for hair loss, not to mention you will learn nothing about nutrition.

So a true story for you from my hairdresser: several of her clients did to VLCD and lost a lot of weight between them. However, all of them ended back in the hairdressing chair with tinning hair and bald patches to be covered up.

Moral of the story: You did not put on 35lbs in 2 months so how can you expect to loose it in 2 months without repercussions?

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to know if anyone here has achieved similar results. I would like to do this and would love to hear from those of you who have done so.

This would mean on average 4 pounds a week, and I know this is more than recommended and very well aware of the usual advice out there in terms of slower=more sustainable. So no need for comments that are saying this isn't good, healthy, wise etc.. Please respond if you have ideas, suggestions, tips on making it happen. Much needed! Fyi I'm a 39 year old woman 5ft 9in and 210.6 pounds (just started two weeks ago at 216.8). Thank you!

Anyone who gives you the only answer you're interested in would be violating MFP's terms and conditions, because the only way you're going to lose that much consistently is on a VLCD.

I was past 50 when I started on MFP, weighed just over 210 pounds, and am 5 ft 4 inches (so I was class II obese, and you're only low end of class I). I averaged 2 lbs a week for nearly four months, and I was very happy the whole time -- plenty of energy, seldom hungry (other than when meal time rolled around), able to fit treats into my plan.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I did. By giving birth.

Unless you are carrying a very very large amount of water weight due to a medical condition and get that condition treated (or give birth), 18 pounds/month is simply not reasonable for anyone under ~350 pounds.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I started January 1 of this year and I have only recently (in September, so 8.5 months later) hit 36 pounds lost (full disclosure: I am somewhat shorter than you are and had a lower starting weight), and *that* is averaging one pound a week, which is safe (and not an impossible deficit, though I did eventually switch to a 0.5 pound/week goal as I was getting hungry!). So no, I don't think it is advisable to lose 35 pounds in 2 months. Also you may be encouraged by big numbers the first few weeks -- I had them too -- but that rate will slow. You will not get 3 pounds (or whatever) every week.

Weight loss at that fast of a rate puts you at risk for nutrient deficiencies and you may find you are experiencing unpleasant side effects, like hair loss, digestive issues (e.g. constipation), etc. It'll also mess with your metabolism. Read about The Biggest Loser study, since that is the closest comparison I can think of with respect to fast weight loss.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Well based on your height and weight, also taking into account that you've dropped your glycogen stores already since you started 2 weeks ago, you'd have to make a deficit of 2K cals/day which means if you intend on eating the minimum recommended of 1200 calories/day you'd have to exercise enough to make your TDEE 3200. I'm only 5'6 and I weigh 168 and to get to 3K TDEE I have to be pretty much walking all day long. That wouldn't leave much time for work so unless you dig ditches you're going to have to readjust your goals.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I love the posts that say I know this is wrong so don't tell me it is, but I want to do it anyway so tell me how. We are really here to help people have a healthy sustainable diet and lifestyle. You are going to get what people know is the right way to do things.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry, but it isn't going to happen. I started out 31 pounds heavier and it took me six months, not two, to get that much off. As others have said, that's an extreme deficit and will lead to some major health problems.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Undereating like that will set you up for failure or malnutrition / hair loss / muscle loss.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No. Just... no.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    4lbs in a week? You can't be serious.
    Your TDEE at sedentary slightly active is around 2500
    To lose 4lbs per week every week, you'd need to cut 2000 calories.

So, you're wanting to eat 500 cals a day?

Five. HUNDRED. Do you even know how little food that is?

You've got to be kidding, right? You could possibly lose that much if you were a professional athlete with a TDEE of 3500, but that rate of lose is still unsafe.

Why do you want to harm yourself? What is the rush?

And this:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Undereating like that will set you up for failure or malnutrition / hair loss / muscle loss.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss

OP..please stop. Use common sense.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    So, I read your profile and it seems you want to get healthy, especially given you have certain medical issues already. I dieted seriously once, and lost 45 lbs, on Weight Watchers. It took 8 months, on the treadmill everyday. Not what you want to hear, I know.

After regaining that 45 lbs and an additional 50 lbs., I have/had a health scare. What I have accomplished in 5 days on my low sugar, low sodium diet is I have lost 5 lbs, and a few inches around my midsection. For more years than I care to admit, I was seriously addicted to sugar and sodium. Last week, my blood pressure got to 190/100, pulse rate 101. Scary *hit! It hit me like a ton of bricks that I was killing myself slowly with food. So after being here for my 6th day (2nd time around at MFP), my pressure is down to 145/89, pulse rate 84.

I know giving up sugar is hard but after day 3 for me, my cravings are way, way down. Only when I let myself get hungry will a stray thought about a cinnamon bun run through my thoughts. :) So now I make sure I eat healthy snacks, nuts or slice of avocado. A plant based diet might be something to get started on...a low sugar diet fruit is allowed as long as you eat whole fruit, no juices.

Not sure why you would risk additional health issues by trying to lose 35lbs in such a short period of time. But whoever the person is or the job is, it's not worth your health. And no medical person will tell you to take this risk.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    If there is some urgent medical need to lose weight so quickly, then I'd suggest you work with your doctor or other medical professional and do it under medical supervision. That's really not what MFP is about.
  • Farrell73
    Farrell73 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Way to go girl! Something that has helped me is eating off the Weight Watcher plan. You can do it for free off of Pinterest and writing everything down that you put in your mouth. Also No sweets no breads.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It took me 9 months to lose 40 pounds...so you trying to lose 35 in 2 months is really an unrealistic expectation. People want to lose it fast and quick but it didn't take you 2 months to gain 35 pounds. Also, in 2 months, you will not have learned proper eating behaviors to keep the weight off for life. You want to keep the weight off for life or just temporary? You decide.