35 pounds in 2 months?

Options

Replies

• FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Farrell73 wrote: »
    Way to go girl! Something that has helped me is eating off the Weight Watcher plan. You can do it for free off of Pinterest and writing everything down that you put in your mouth. Also No sweets no breads.

Just NO!! Don't take any of this advice!
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experience and thoughts. As I said I'm aware that losing around 3-4 pounds a week is more than the recommended sustainable average. That said this would only be for 2 months and I have heard a lot of anecdotes of people losing a lot in the beginning, so the rest could average to something closer to 2.5 pounds.

And yes, it would be for health issues that I need to drop weight for regulating various things, thinking about giving birth etc., and also having had multiple knee surgeries not being in pain everyday.

For what it's worth, I eat pretty well and properly, put a lot of weight after several surgeries and steroid treatments pretty fast and been around this weight for 5-6 years. I do see an endocrinologist regularly and believe it or not but the recommendation is to lose it fast due to other factors.

(I must add that I am shocked by the comment suggesting that my question was "abuse." I signed up not too long ago but was traveling all summer and this is my first day back on mfp... so I suppose I won't post again as I was looking for supportive suggestions, and though there were many, I don't get why someone would get so worked up by a question...)
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    Thank you all for sharing your experience and thoughts. As I said I'm aware that losing around 3-4 pounds a week is more than the recommended sustainable average. That said this would only be for 2 months and I have heard a lot of anecdotes of people losing a lot in the beginning, so the rest could average to something closer to 2.5 pounds.

And yes, it would be for health issues that I need to drop weight for regulating various things, thinking about giving birth etc., and also having had multiple knee surgeries not being in pain everyday.

For what it's worth, I eat pretty well and properly, put a lot of weight after several surgeries and steroid treatments pretty fast and been around this weight for 5-6 years. I do see an endocrinologist regularly and believe it or not but the recommendation is to lose it fast due to other factors.

(I must add that I am shocked by the comment suggesting that my question was "abuse." I signed up not too long ago but was traveling all summer and this is my first day back on mfp... so I suppose I won't post again as I was looking for supportive suggestions, and though there were many, I don't get why someone would get so worked up by a question...)

Your post was flagged because it's against the rules. If you're doing this to be healthy, then why'd you do this unhealthily? You're only going to replace some of the problems, that you have with different problems; that might even be fatal!
  • solska
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    If there is some urgent medical need to lose weight so quickly, then I'd suggest you work with your doctor or other medical professional and do it under medical supervision. That's really not what MFP is about.

Thank you, I am actually under medical supervision. But I thought I would also ask advice/experiences of those who are actually doing the deed.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

It's against MFP rules to support such quick weight loss (though, under medical supervision is a different case). It should not have been flagged as abuse, however.
  • solska
    Options
    So, I read your profile and it seems you want to get healthy, especially given you have certain medical issues already. I dieted seriously once, and lost 45 lbs, on Weight Watchers. It took 8 months, on the treadmill everyday. Not what you want to hear, I know.

After regaining that 45 lbs and an additional 50 lbs., I have/had a health scare. What I have accomplished in 5 days on my low sugar, low sodium diet is I have lost 5 lbs, and a few inches around my midsection. For more years than I care to admit, I was seriously addicted to sugar and sodium. Last week, my blood pressure got to 190/100, pulse rate 101. Scary *hit! It hit me like a ton of bricks that I was killing myself slowly with food. So after being here for my 6th day (2nd time around at MFP), my pressure is down to 145/89, pulse rate 84.

I know giving up sugar is hard but after day 3 for me, my cravings are way, way down. Only when I let myself get hungry will a stray thought about a cinnamon bun run through my thoughts. :) So now I make sure I eat healthy snacks, nuts or slice of avocado. A plant based diet might be something to get started on...a low sugar diet fruit is allowed as long as you eat whole fruit, no juices.

Not sure why you would risk additional health issues by trying to lose 35lbs in such a short period of time. But whoever the person is or the job is, it's not worth your health. And no medical person will tell you to take this risk.

Thank you. I wish you all the success. And yes, sugar is evil, a tiny amount in ice cream or healthy dessert I find makes me happy a long way. And usually that tiny amount is enough. I love avocado, I need to eat less of it. I've never lost a lot of weight. A couple of times about ten pounds. And I've always been wary of low calorie diets for people put it all back on and then more, but from what I see people put it on even if it takes longer to lose.

It's great your blood pressure is so much better now!
  • solska
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

It's against MFP rules to support such quick weight loss (though, under medical supervision is a different case). It should not have been flagged as abuse, however.

Thanks, I actually was unaware that people can ask about losing more than 2 pounds a week... And I appreciate with people telling me it's against the rules, I understand that and the flagging. And my shock was by the suggestion that my question was "abuse."
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks, I actually was unaware that people can ask about losing more than 2 pounds a week... And I appreciate with people telling me it's against the rules, I understand that and the flagging. And my shock was by the suggestion that my question was "abuse."

Some people don't know/remember, what reporting method; to choose.
  • solska
    Options

-- Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, I never asked for or about very low calorie methods, or asked anyone to promote that... I was more wondering about things like eat pineapples and celery cause they make you burn more etc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

-- Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, I never asked for or about very low calorie methods, or asked anyone to promote that... I was more wondering about things like eat pineapples and celery cause they make you burn more etc.
    you dont burn more eating certain foods.
  • solska
    Options

you dont burn more eating certain foods.

Actually you burn more eating protein than carbohydrate and I read the body burns more calories than it takes to digest celery and cabbage... people write about things that make metabolisms faster all the time (e.g. coffee) just wondering about people's experience.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have to worry about OP getting malnourished - her "plan" will not last more than a couple of days with all of the misconceptions already floating around.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options

OMG...The delusion is strong with this one. Seriously...no. Just...no.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Then, you want to be aiming for 2 pounds/week of fat loss and take any water weight lost as a happy bonus (which is usually where the "lose big at first" comes from - water not fat.)

So, set your settings to aim for 2 pounds/week loss, log all your food accurately (eyeballing 1 cup of lettuce is fine - but anything calorie-dense like the salad dressing or peanut butter gets measured), and eat the number of calories MFP tells you to eat.
  • solska
    Options

Then, you want to be aiming for 2 pounds/week of fat loss and take any water weight lost as a happy bonus (which is usually where the "lose big at first" comes from - water not fat.)

So, set your settings to aim for 2 pounds/week loss, log all your food accurately (eyeballing 1 cup of lettuce is fine - but anything calorie-dense like the salad dressing or peanut butter gets measured), and eat the number of calories MFP tells you to eat.

Thanks. Exactly this is what I'm trying to figure out. I've never lost a lot of weight and I'm trying to find out what the water weight amounts to in people... 2 pounds a week is about 18 pounds in two months. I thought stretching it to 2.5 pounds a week for a couple of months in the beginning would be no big deal which would make about 22-23 pounds. If people lose about 10-12 pounds of water weight with disciplined dieting that would be around 35pounds... but I don't really know how much water weight one sheds. It seems like water weight is lost in super low carb/atkins diets and I don't think I can really give up fruit to hit ketosis, but less salt intake might cause water loss. I'll search the forums to see that. (Fitday estimates my daily expenditure to be 2700 calories -- this kind of seems high to me but that's what it gives. If I burn an extra 500 with exercise that would be 3200 calories, and 1200 calories isn't necessarily super low calorie. It seems to me too little calories, but it's doable)
  • solska
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I don't think we have to worry about OP getting malnourished - her "plan" will not last more than a couple of days with all of the misconceptions already floating around.

It's not a misconception. It's science. It's called dietary induced thermogenesis: "On average, a person uses about 10% of their daily energy expenditure digesting and absorbing food, but this percentage changes depending on the type of food you eat.
    Protein takes the most energy to digest (20-30% of total calories in protein eaten go to digesting it). Next is carbohydrates (5-10%) and then fats (0-3%).
    Thus, if you eat 100 calories from protein, your body uses 20-30 of those calories to digest and absorb the protein. You’d be left with a net 70-80 calories. Pure carbohydrate would leave you with a net 90-95 calories, and fat would give you a net 97-100 calories."
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • solska
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Please explain to me how thermic effect of food works. I would appreciate knowing how it works if what's written all over is wrong.
  • solska
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Please explain to me how thermic effect of food works. I would appreciate knowing how it works if what's written all over is wrong.

This is directly from your link indeed, saying the same thing: "For every 100 calories of carbs/fat replaced with protein, you’d expect to burn about 25 calories more (30 cal for protein vs. 3-6 for carbs/fat). So a doubling of protein from 60 to120 grams/day might increase TEF by 80 calories/day. Triple it to 180 grams/day and TEF could increase by 150 calories. The 20-30% TEF of protein can become even more significant at extreme intakes. However, for the most part, such extreme intakes aren’t practical or used outside of the bodybuilding subculture. In all but the most extreme diets, protein stays fairly static and carbs and fats are shuffled around; the effect is typically minimal in terms of TEF.
    Finally, I should mention that some research has found that insulin resistant individuals may have an impaired TEF response to eating, with a rough 50% reduction occurring. This could conceivably become significant. For example, on a 3000 cal/day diet, the estimated TEF would be 300 calories. Cut that in half and you only get a 150 cal/day increase in energy expenditure via TEF. Over a month’s time that would amount to 4,500 calories or about 1.5 lbs difference. I’d assume that correcting the insulin resistance by losing fat, lowering insulin and various other interventions would correct this defect and allow TEF to work normally."
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your calorie counting?