This is why people gain weight, and why losing it is so hard.

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    I have always counted calories daily, but I've read that some people say weekly is the way to go. Do any of you guys kinda not really worry about daily and concentrate on weekly? Eating heavy one day and light on another day to make up for it?

Skip breakfast and eat 40g dry weight (non instant) oatmeal for lunch with peanut butter , have 3 slices of pizza for dinner. bam, full and satisfied and under cals for the day by a landslide. binge drink on Fridays. that is the plan you want and need

And your heath goes to *kitten*. Where are the fruits and veggies in this program?

For the OP. As you know 4500 calories is an insane amount on a regular basis, unless your a 200+ pound competitive athlete. As you work on cutting back you will get used to a lower number of calories. As been mentioned you can always up the activity.

Best of luck.

really bud?

Yes based on your suggested menu if this is suppose to be a common occurrence.

"Skip breakfast and eat 40g dry weight (non instant) oatmeal for lunch with peanut butter , have 3 slices of pizza for dinner. bam, full and satisfied and under cals for the day by a landslide. binge drink on Fridays. that is the plan you want and need"

Yes because my response was not flippant and was a 100% serious attempt at giving the OP a fully sustainable diet plan that he should adhere to daily; that approach and has worked well for users such as Sued0nim.
    @Sued0nim do you agree that this is your daily approach?

I'm not sure I know what's going on any more
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I have always counted calories daily, but I've read that some people say weekly is the way to go. Do any of you guys kinda not really worry about daily and concentrate on weekly? Eating heavy one day and light on another day to make up for it?

Skip breakfast and eat 40g dry weight (non instant) oatmeal for lunch with peanut butter , have 3 slices of pizza for dinner. bam, full and satisfied and under cals for the day by a landslide. binge drink on Fridays. that is the plan you want and need

And your heath goes to *kitten*. Where are the fruits and veggies in this program?

For the OP. As you know 4500 calories is an insane amount on a regular basis, unless your a 200+ pound competitive athlete. As you work on cutting back you will get used to a lower number of calories. As been mentioned you can always up the activity.

Best of luck.

really bud?

"Skip breakfast and eat 40g dry weight (non instant) oatmeal for lunch with peanut butter , have 3 slices of pizza for dinner. bam, full and satisfied and under cals for the day by a landslide. binge drink on Fridays. that is the plan you want and need"

Yes because my response was not flippant and was a 100% serious attempt at giving the OP a fully sustainable diet plan that he should adhere to daily; that approach and has worked well for users such as Sued0nim.

Smiles I looked at your sample diary that you posted on page one. And then I read the quote above that says you skip breakfast, eat oatmeal and peanut butter for lunch, have three slices of pizza for dinner and binge drink on fridays. And this was proposed as a "plan" for the OP based on YOU.
    I'm bringing you in to clarify....as it seems to me those two pictures of your eating don't really jibe.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Best of luck.

really bud?

Smiles I looked at your sample diary that you posted on page one. And then I read the quote above that says you skip breakfast, eat oatmeal and peanut butter for lunch, have three slices of pizza for dinner and binge drink on fridays. And this was proposed as a "plan" for the OP based on YOU.
    I'm bringing you in to clarify....as it seems to me those two pictures of your eating don't really jibe.

Ahaa ..yup I think Laz just generally posts to amuse himself, sense or help is optional

(That day wasn't my general pattern,just how I ate on that day ..I generally have the same breakfast though)
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Here ...not even hit 1900 calories ...under maintenance ...will drink and eat that this weekend instead ..I know the sodium is out but I'm not that bothered

And I logged my dinner in the wrong place (peanut butter and jelly sandwich)

l291cxqbat7e.png

I'm not saying that I can't eat 1900 calories every day, I'm just saying that, and no offense and its nothing personal, nothing on that list looks very good to me at all. I mean I am willing to eat all of those things, I'm not a picky eater, but its not what I want. I find happiness in food that taste good, things that are fried, things that have a lot of cheese and/or creamy sauces, I like soda. That's where its so hard. I'm not saying I can't do it, I'm upset because I know I'm not going to be happy doing it.

I'm on my journey and not at goal...but I just want to share with you that if you learn to like what you can eat, it will save you down the road because when you get a certain age and health issues rear it's head because you didn't watch the sodium or the sugar, then you will LOVE to eat the way you are currently eating now. (My current situation). In other words, learn to enjoy food that will keep you on maintenance. Spice it up with things you've never tried before but are still healthy. Soda is not your friend. You know this. I really enjoy a glass of wine, but one becomes two, three, so I realized I'm not going to be able to include it in my maintenance schedule. I'm okay with that its just a reality. But I will enjoy waking up every day full of energy. I work a desk job. So I have to get creative. I walk in the morning, at lunch and after work. I just employed stretch bands but will get to weights. I want to find a sport I can really get into, and be so tired from that my bed is what I'm looking for, not food. Change your thinking from what you can't have to what the abundance of what you can. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only days I will allow myself a full plate of what I want, but back on track the next day. Our caveman ancestors foraged for food daily. That means they were doing a hell of lot of walking, climbing, running from predators, etc. Food is energy, enjoyable at times, but really it's just a necessity, like air. Don't think about tomorrow so much. Enjoy what you get to do today.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Best of luck.

really bud?

@Sabine_Stroehm reading comprehension and thread wide context go a long way. @Sued0nim gave the OP great examples to meet his goals in a healthy manner and OP whined them away. My post was not serious, but apparently that wasn't clear enough with the binge drinking and all.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    OP, do you plan on being sedentary? Almost no one is sedentary. Lightly active is where most people are. Just add some walking and earn more calories. Why start with such a negative outlook? You simply won't need the same amount of calories after losing 100 lbs. if you get to that weight you will decreasing your intake and appetite over time and your body will adjust to the new diet. You aren't going to wake up one day @ 150 and have to adjust to 1000 less calories.
    I'd suggest getting a Fitbit to get a handle on what your actual TDEE is. It's still not perfect but much closer to reality than online calculators, I've found. I have a pretty basic Flex and the data seems accurate for me. Plus, it helps me want to move more. You can look at your data weekly and adjust calories as needed based on what is going on with your weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Here ...not even hit 1900 calories ...under maintenance ...will drink and eat that this weekend instead ..I know the sodium is out but I'm not that bothered

And I logged my dinner in the wrong place (peanut butter and jelly sandwich)

l291cxqbat7e.png

I'm not saying that I can't eat 1900 calories every day, I'm just saying that, and no offense and its nothing personal, nothing on that list looks very good to me at all. I mean I am willing to eat all of those things, I'm not a picky eater, but its not what I want. I find happiness in food that taste good, things that are fried, things that have a lot of cheese and/or creamy sauces, I like soda. That's where its so hard. I'm not saying I can't do it, I'm upset because I know I'm not going to be happy doing it.

You can have all that stuff and lose weight. You just can't have 4500 calories of it every day and lose weight. That is the somewhat sad truth.

I too love to eat and drink big. I often get the "how can you eat like that and stay so small?!" remarks. This is because I rarely eat and drink a lot when I'm not dining with others. I don't eat like that every day. Sure, I'd like to, but I also don't want to ruin my health so I save those big luxurious meals for special occasions. It really does make them all the more special for me.

During the week I will sometimes have days that are only 1000-1200 calories. I don't mind being a little hungry on occasion when it allows me to be carefree and overeat on other days. But that's just me. Maybe the same would work for you and maybe not. Just a little food for thought.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Best of luck.

really bud?

@Sabine_Stroehm reading comprehension and thread wide context go a long way. @Sued0nim gave the OP great examples to meet his goals in a healthy manner and OP whined them away. My post was not serious, but apparently that wasn't clear enough with the binge drinking and all.

I got what you meant. Are you British by any chance? I think it might be a case of our sense of humour not translating well/slightly different uses of language causing confusion.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Best of luck.

really bud?

I got what you meant. Are you British by any chance? I think it might be a case of our sense of humour not translating well/slightly different uses of language causing confusion.
    I think it's the teacher in me. I just dislike this sort of thing on principle.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, you seem set on feeling like the rest of your life will be a constant burden of not eating what you want. I don't think you need to worry about it, because with that point of view, you'll never get to goal weight.

I think I <3 you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Dano74 wrote: »
    You sound discouraged, my man. If I could offer some hope... 1899 seems extremely low for any kind of maintenance. What are your stats?

This is what I was going to say. I'm a 5 ft 4 female at with a weight range 140-145 and I maintain in 1960 without exercise, and between 2060 and 2200 with exercise, depending on what I do. OP is a guy. Something is not right with the TDEE calc.

It's correct. I've tried it out on 3 separate calculators and they all say the same thing.

No it's not.

I just used this calculator set at the sedentary setting and came up with much higher numbers. You're inputting wrong information.

Your TDEE is: 2826 Calories per day
    Your BMR is: 2355 Calories per day
    We suggest the following for your goal to Maintain
    2826 Calories per day

To lose to pounds a week you'd eat 2260, then your calories would decrease with every ten pounds you lose.

Let's say you reach your goal weight of 165 (I don't know if that's your goal weight, this is just for demonstration purposes) in 2018 (100 pounds is a lot to lose), then your TDEE at sedentary would be 2063.
    That calculator is very similar to the one I used. I just put in all of my information and calculated it at my goal weight. Other calculators have said 1899, this one says 1967. that's virtually the same thing. 68 calories is not enough to change anything.

There is a huge difference in how each of you is measuring this... @SLLRunner is calculating based on 265 lbs. and you are calculating based on 150 lbs. Of course a 265 lb. man is going to have a higher BMR and TDEE than a 150 lb. man. And since you are talking about what will happen when you reach your goal weight of 150 lbs., @SLLRunner is wrong because she is using the wrong input. Bad inputs = bad outputs.

And complete reading comprehension fail. She went on to calculate it at 165. That is still a bit higher though than the OP's goal of 150 (which she didn't see).

OP, I'm going to 9000th everyone else and suggest getting active. Using this same calculator referenced above, I got that at goal weight and sedentary I have a TDEE of 1751. If I workout 3-5 days a week and get moderately active, I can maintain at 2261.

Those 500 calories per day are so worth it.