This is why people gain weight, and why losing it is so hard.

Options

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It is expected you change your life. This means finding a way to overcome any issues with attachment/emotional eating in order to eat "normally" as well as getting new habits, namely exercise. Once I recorded a binge, over 6,000 calories!!! That is not normal for any human being, and when I can finally be fully in control of my eating habits, I will already consider my lower maintenance calories as my new normal. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    So I just did a little experiment. I started out just trying to see how many calories I would be able to eat per day once I reach my goal weight. The number was shockingly low. My TDEE, not including any exercise, will be 1899. That number hit me hard, I don't know how I can possibly live my life eating that few calories. I mean right now It's one thing because I am working very hard to cut weight, but to look up and see that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, because maintenance is so low calorie, its very discouraging.

So here's were the experiment comes into play. I thought, you know what, I've never just booked out a normal "non deiting" day, lets see how many calories that is. So I went into MFP and loaded up what I would eat on a normal day. Over 4500 calories!!! HOLY S**T!!!! No wonder people get so fat so quickly without even realizing whats happening!

So my takeaway: I don't know whats worse, thinking about how easy it was to get this way without even realizing what was going on, or thinking about how miserable its going to be trying to eat at maintenance once I get to my goal weight.

My non-exercise maintenance amount is about 1500 cal. Yay. I was not pleased when I saw that.

My pre-MFP "normal" was about 2000 cal.

If I returned to my pre-MFP "normal", it would indeed mean a gradual gain.

Thank goodness for exercise.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    My maintenance will be around 1600 without exercise, so I know how you feel. But you WILL get less hungry. It takes me 2-4 weeks adjustment when iI get into a deficit and then I stop being hungry all thetime. My joyful foods (Chinese takeaways! Big bars of chocolate! ) become joyful treats and I enjoy them MORE than wheniI was eating them regularly. And you learn to love the other stuff, you really really do.

At the end of the day i'd rather deal with restricted calories than with joint pain, diabetes, panniculitis, heart problems and all the limitations of obesity.

I'm another one who looks at calories over the week, most days I eat 1200 but I'm aiming for a weekly average of 1500. Works well for me.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I think you've been given some great advice throughout this thread and I would second these two recommendations:

1) Looking at a weekly calorie total so you can bank some calories on one day to be able to enjoy a higher amount of calories on another day.

2) Intermittent fasting so that your meals are eaten in a shorter time frame (16:8). This is great if you are not a breakfast eater.

These should help you manage your maintenance calories better if you choose to eat calorie dense food.

Regarding pizza and other similiar food which may have a lot of oïl and fat involved, I'm right with you with regards to loving that sort of thing and yeah, I'm a bit in 'mourning' for the food I no longer eat. When I have pizza now at home I go for Dr Oetker pizza, a thin crust pizza which is not bad for calories. I ate a restaurant pizza about a month ago - and it was glorious - until I got down to the last few slices and started to feel ill. My guts were really complaining and I paid the price when I got home. My body really isn't used to eating food like that anymore and I've not been keen to repeat the experience since, although in my head I still 'love' pizza.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I dunno man. I'm 5'4F (23 years old), GW is 130. I calculate my maintenance calorie intake for being 135 lb (without exercise) to be 1700. Right now, I'm not really suffering under the calorie restriction. Some things I have to sacrifice (Like eating more than two pieces of pizza ; ; ), but it's not like I'm starving. I should be okay to follow a maintenance restriction once I get to it. Especially since I'm certain my stomach will have shrunk some. And this is taking into account that I'm not..necessarily eating clean at the moment. Last night I had a Lean Pocket and a cup of those Green Giant Steamers: Lightly Sauced Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli things. The other day I ate 4 pieces of pizza. I went a little over, but then I worked it off with some cardio.

And I do plan to remain active. I probably won't be as active. It might end up only being 3 days a week, or when I eat a particularly big meal. At that point I'd probably just buy an elliptical for my home instead of a gym membership.

That being said, I'm not a breakfast person. I never have been. When I eat breakfast, I don't feel any different. I stop being hungry momentarily, but then I'm hungry LONG before lunch starts. That lasts a bit, and then I'm hungry the last few hours of work, and the hour after when I get to the gym. Then I eat.

However, I grew up in a very low income household, and I grew up hungry...so I'm kind of used to it. I never had breakfast, and I also never really brought lunch to school either (which is probably why I gained the wait in the first place. When I got a job of my own, I was eating so much more food than I would have eaten).

Man, that pizza analogy hits me hard though, talkin about eating two pieces and four being "overboard". I can eat an entire pizza myself, and I don't mean on a dare or because someone said I couldn't. I mean like, I ate the last piece and reached for another one and said "well hell, I guess I ate it all". I hope my appetite shrinks like everyone says, but i feel like its gonna be really hard to maintain my goal weight when I get there.
    And again, this is why you're obese. (you're technically obese right, by medical standards?). You're seriously going to need a paradigm shift. Learning to cook is a good start. Learning, knowing, the calorie content of foods is a good start. You're probably one who would really benefit from using a scale to weigh foods (when you do eat at home).

It's gotta be a life style or as you say: it will be very difficult to maintain. That lifestyle can include some pizza. But, given your height, goal weight, and sedentary lifestyle, not a lot of pizza.

This. There are some many healthy substitutes out there that help you still enjoy the foods you love, but you have to be willing to do some research, and start cooking for yourself! Oh and just smaller portions. I mean I make some really good mac and cheese, or healthier chicken nuggets, and then make sure to fill up on vegetables as well, and you are talking to somebody who never ate vegetables because I hated them, but the more I forced myself to eat them the more I like them, and I'm up to about 4 vegetables I can eat now regularly (don't laugh). Switch out some of your daily snacks with some fruits, or opt for pop chips instead of lays. Make tacos at home, and weigh out your portions before you cook so you aren't tempted to eat more! If you do go out to eat, try to pick a meal out before hand and log it earlier in the day so you can plan out the rest of your day. It really takes a lifestyle change my friend.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Buy a bicycle. Lift a lot of heavy stuff. Look great naked. Eat all the foods you want. There's my tips that you can take to the bank.

THIS--from a guy who knows. Listen to him.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Buy a bicycle. Lift a lot of heavy stuff. Look great naked. Eat all the foods you want. There's my tips that you can take to the bank.

THIS--from a guy who knows. Listen to him.

I agree plus as others have said...once your to your goal, having done it the right way, your desires for all the crap may change but if not, you have to "earn" the calories if you want to eat them and you want to stay at a good healthy weight. you CAN eat anything you want. it could affect your weight or it could not affect your weight..its all dependent upon what you choose to allow to happen.

you can't view this as i'm screwed for the rest of my life with regard to food. how utterly depressing that is.

this is a mental game you need to win then muster the discipline to be in control.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Here ...not even hit 1900 calories ...under maintenance ...will drink and eat that this weekend instead ..I know the sodium is out but I'm not that bothered

And I logged my dinner in the wrong place (peanut butter and jelly sandwich)

l291cxqbat7e.png

I'm not saying that I can't eat 1900 calories every day, I'm just saying that, and no offense and its nothing personal, nothing on that list looks very good to me at all. I mean I am willing to eat all of those things, I'm not a picky eater, but its not what I want. I find happiness in food that taste good, things that are fried, things that have a lot of cheese and/or creamy sauces, I like soda. That's where its so hard. I'm not saying I can't do it, I'm upset because I know I'm not going to be happy doing it.

Until you modify your opinion on food, you will struggle with keeping a healthy weight. Moreso, the health consequences of eating foods that are fried, high in saturated fat, and loaded with sugar. Plenty of people are happy eating healthier alternatives and remain within a calorie alottment. But realistically, this is why obesity is such a huge issue in society-because we've developed a taste for large portions of calorie bombs.