This is why people gain weight, and why losing it is so hard.

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Also the "exercise" is just a Fitbit adjustment from walking during my regular day ,..no workout today
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    So I just did a little experiment. I started out just trying to see how many calories I would be able to eat per day once I reach my goal weight. The number was shockingly low. My TDEE, not including any exercise, will be 1899. That number hit me hard, I don't know how I can possibly live my life eating that few calories. I mean right now It's one thing because I am working very hard to cut weight, but to look up and see that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, because maintenance is so low calorie, its very discouraging.

So here's were the experiment comes into play. I thought, you know what, I've never just booked out a normal "non deiting" day, lets see how many calories that is. So I went into MFP and loaded up what I would eat on a normal day. Over 4500 calories!!! HOLY S**T!!!! No wonder people get so fat so quickly without even realizing whats happening!

So my takeaway: I don't know whats worse, thinking about how easy it was to get this way without even realizing what was going on, or thinking about how miserable its going to be trying to eat at maintenance once I get to my goal weight.

Where are you getting essentially 1900 calories for maintenance? I'm almost 42 and 5'10" @ 180 and without exercise I can pretty easily maintain on 2400 - 2500...with regular exercise it's closer to 3,000. I was losing like 1.5 - 2 Lbs per week eating 1900 calories when I first started MFP and I was only 220 Lbs.

Also, when talking about TDEE one should include exercise in the conversation...because TDEE includes exercise activity.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Here ...not even hit 1900 calories ...under maintenance ...will drink and eat that this weekend instead ..I know the sodium is out but I'm not that bothered

And I logged my dinner in the wrong place (peanut butter and jelly sandwich)

l291cxqbat7e.png

I'm not saying that I can't eat 1900 calories every day, I'm just saying that, and no offense and its nothing personal, nothing on that list looks very good to me at all. I mean I am willing to eat all of those things, I'm not a picky eater, but its not what I want. I find happiness in food that taste good, things that are fried, things that have a lot of cheese and/or creamy sauces, I like soda. That's where its so hard. I'm not saying I can't do it, I'm upset because I know I'm not going to be happy doing it.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    I'm 5'5'', my goal weight is 150 (which BMI tells me is at the very peak of Normal, just 1 lb away from overweight) and I work a job were I can't get up and walk around often. Comes out to 1899. Even if I take a walk/jog/run in the morning or evenings I'd really only pick up 200-300 calories.

I'm sure you're running it right- just want to play with/ballpark some numbers, if you don't mind: What's your age and height for BMR? I'm not a big believer in the accuracy of BMI for fat and weight.

I'm 27, 5'5'' and will (hopefully) weigh in the neighborhood of 150-155

What do you currently weigh? PM me if you'd like.

Why you so interested in a nominal BMR? It's only relevant as a base to his activity and purposeful exercise

He's talking about his maintenance at goal

As he loses weight he needs to adjust his idea of normal

Cos seriously..4500 is nowhere near normal

Obviously.

That said, go to foods are, as noted, pretty calorie dense. It may be time to restructure eating habits. As noted, adding activity throughout the week will bring those numbers up.
  • jdb3388
    Options
    I'm 5'5'', my goal weight is 150 (which BMI tells me is at the very peak of Normal, just 1 lb away from overweight) and I work a job were I can't get up and walk around often. Comes out to 1899. Even if I take a walk/jog/run in the morning or evenings I'd really only pick up 200-300 calories.

I'm sure you're running it right- just want to play with/ballpark some numbers, if you don't mind: What's your age and height for BMR? I'm not a big believer in the accuracy of BMI for fat and weight.

Why you so interested in a nominal BMR? It's only relevant as a base to his activity and purposeful exercise

Obviously.

That said, go to foods are, as noted, pretty calorie dense. It may be time to restructure eating habits. As noted, adding activity throughout the week will bring those numbers up.

Yes, I am very willing to walk/jog/run in the evenings when I get off work. I just know it will add about 300(give or take) calories to my budget. That would put me at 2200, which I still feel is low.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I promise that after a while, you feel so great and your body adjusts to a lower calorie intake and more nutrient dense food that you don't even think about the alternative. And you still can have those foods that you enjoy, just in smaller portions!

P.S. My TDEE is basically 1,350 - at least you are almost at the 2K mark! Much more reasonable.
  • jdb3388
    Options
    I dunno man. I'm 5'4F (23 years old), GW is 130. I calculate my maintenance calorie intake for being 135 lb (without exercise) to be 1700. Right now, I'm not really suffering under the calorie restriction. Some things I have to sacrifice (Like eating more than two pieces of pizza ; ; ), but it's not like I'm starving. I should be okay to follow a maintenance restriction once I get to it. Especially since I'm certain my stomach will have shrunk some. And this is taking into account that I'm not..necessarily eating clean at the moment. Last night I had a Lean Pocket and a cup of those Green Giant Steamers: Lightly Sauced Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli things. The other day I ate 4 pieces of pizza. I went a little over, but then I worked it off with some cardio.

And I do plan to remain active. I probably won't be as active. It might end up only being 3 days a week, or when I eat a particularly big meal. At that point I'd probably just buy an elliptical for my home instead of a gym membership.

That being said, I'm not a breakfast person. I never have been. When I eat breakfast, I don't feel any different. I stop being hungry momentarily, but then I'm hungry LONG before lunch starts. That lasts a bit, and then I'm hungry the last few hours of work, and the hour after when I get to the gym. Then I eat.

However, I grew up in a very low income household, and I grew up hungry...so I'm kind of used to it. I never had breakfast, and I also never really brought lunch to school either (which is probably why I gained the wait in the first place. When I got a job of my own, I was eating so much more food than I would have eaten).

Man, that pizza analogy hits me hard though, talkin about eating two pieces and four being "overboard". I can eat an entire pizza myself, and I don't mean on a dare or because someone said I couldn't. I mean like, I ate the last piece and reached for another one and said "well hell, I guess I ate it all". I hope my appetite shrinks like everyone says, but i feel like its gonna be really hard to maintain my goal weight when I get there.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Obviously.

Yes, I am very willing to walk/jog/run in the evenings when I get off work. I just know it will add about 300(give or take) calories to my budget. That would put me at 2200, which I still feel is low.

Funny how it all feels relative. I'm at about 2400 calories now and for me, that's a deficit. 2400 calories is like heaven. That's a whole Digiornos pizza and a morning shake and a protein shake with carbs and protein and fat to spare. I'm in heaven.

23-2400 really is a decent amount of calories- especially if you bank. It'll all fall into place as you progress. One step at a time and it'll come naturally.