Restrictive diet venting

Options
1235»

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I have celiac, and I can smell bread, bagels, pizza a mile away. I'm actually really bad, because the smell will tempt me until I have "just one bite". Stupid. I pay for it every time, am trying to heal from a gluten rash right now, but the smell and softness of fresh bread?....ooo......I just can't help myself!!
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Vent! Why is it that every time I go into the store that loads of cookies and snacks are the first things I see?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Hubby can eat the bread out of the house.. at work.. at the bakery.. But why bring it in the house where you feel like you can't enjoy your life? If it wasn't there you wouldn't be having the bad feelings. I keep all off limit foods out of the house . I set myself up for success by keeping only tasty on plan foods in my house.

Because the hubby is not the one on the restricted diet and it's his house as well. One person doesn't get to decide for everyone what they can and can not eat at home. That's selfish and... well... wrong.

OP, I have to be on a restricted diet due to a medical reason as well. I can't have a number of things such as soy, tomatoes, citrus, caffeine, and a bunch of other stuff. Do you know how hard it is to stay away from soy? I never realized how many products use it as a cheap filler (soy flour and soy protein for examples)!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I have celiac, and I can smell bread, bagels, pizza a mile away. I'm actually really bad, because the smell will tempt me until I have "just one bite". Stupid. I pay for it every time, am trying to heal from a gluten rash right now, but the smell and softness of fresh bread?....ooo......I just can't help myself!!

@JustMissTracy Oh no. :( You know that you are hurting yourself more than just a few days of not feeling well, right. The inflammation can affect other body systems, and the antibodies can linger high for months. For example, it took my autoantibodies over a year and a half of GF eating to finally hit normal. Until then, I was still having intestinal damage in spite of not having obvious symptoms.... Try to stop so you can be well.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    When I think of fluffy white bread ingredients they don't have much room for messing around. Flour, water, yeast, a little vegetable oil, a small amount of sugar and a small amount of salt. That's basic white bread. IDK where she would cut the sodium. Commercial bakeries may have a way but at home I don't know what it would be.

The other thing is that this delicious type of bread is calorific as all hell. Even without a sodium issue, people with a low calorie allowance still have to watch it. It is like an occasional and limited treat rather than acting as the "staff of life" under these circumstances.

OP: You are not alone. If that helps at all.

I wonder if a salt substitute like potassium chloride would work in the bread and taste ok?..... my inner scientist/baker is curious now.

I suspect that would not work. Salt adds flavor and color, but it also regulates the yeast, allowing the bread to rise more slowly and develop better sourdough or yeast flavor, and it also strengthens the gluten bonds (so it doesn't give off too much gas and collapse). It might worthwhile, if she is a baker, to experiment with less-salt bread if, say, half a tsp per loaf would fit into her salt restrictions. At any rate, here is a good place for your inner baking geek to romp. :)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/salt.html
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hubby can eat the bread out of the house.. at work.. at the bakery.. But why bring it in the house where you feel like you can't enjoy your life? If it wasn't there you wouldn't be having the bad feelings. I keep all off limit foods out of the house . I set myself up for success by keeping only tasty on plan foods in my house.

I'm on a strict diet for medical reasons. It wouldn't be right to impose that on anyone without medical reason. My husband and kids can eat normally and have whatever they want in the house. I work on myself accepting that. Remembering what happens to me is enough to stop me. And I am happy they can enjoy what they want. After a while I got used to it. Doesn't mean I don't sometimes wish I could try something or eat pizza. But, I used to like to try a lot of things. It was the experience of trying new foods that I liked. But, that doesn't mean it was always so good tasting. So, I remind myself of that. And I make sure to have other fun in my life. The main issue for me is how it impacts my ability to get food while out. But, with time I will improve. And will continue figuring out how to manage this. I think about what I am thankful for instead. Like that I have the ability to eat a well balanced diet that helps me get better.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Celiac disease. I can rarely even eat out without being sick for weeks. GF bread? Yuck.

And now I am LCHF so I skip all sugary foods and grains. That's over 80% of the grocery store items. But I feel so much better that the inconvenience and loss of certain foods is definitely worth it.

I feel you! Living GF and LCHF has its interesting moments. I love pancakes. Big fat fluffy American pancakes with yummy maple syrup and crispy bacon. I want to eat a whole stack. Can I? No, my SO on the hand can and will. I have one with butter and bacon when I want to eat the rest of the stack.

Being short and on 1200 cals a day, I cannot fit pancakes into my macro's too often. Does not stop me wanting them though.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I miss pizza the most since I was diagnosed with Celiac. Gluten free pizza does not taste the same no matter how many yummy topping you put on it!

@Treece68 The Against the Grain Pizza shells (scroll down a bit) are so f-ing good. My husband and I like them better than any other pre-made crust.
    I actually thought that my favorite organic/sustainable pizza place had the best gf crust until I read that they purchase that one.
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't have the dietary restrictions (other than weight management) but I have allowed myself to indulge in some good artisan bread occasionally (yum! with olive oil or butter!) but only on the days that I've done a high intensity activity (usually a long hike with elevation gain) so I've earned the calories. It's guilt free and oh so worth it. But, I hear ya, OP. My (super thin) sister eats all the bread she wants whenever she wants and doesn't gain an ounce...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Celiac disease. I can rarely even eat out without being sick for weeks. GF bread? Yuck.

And now I am LCHF so I skip all sugary foods and grains. That's over 80% of the grocery store items. But I feel so much better that the inconvenience and loss of certain foods is definitely worth it.

I feel you! Living GF and LCHF has its interesting moments. I love pancakes. Big fat fluffy American pancakes with yummy maple syrup and crispy bacon. I want to eat a whole stack. Can I? No, my SO on the hand can and will. I have one with butter and bacon when I want to eat the rest of the stack.

Being short and on 1200 cals a day, I cannot fit pancakes into my macro's too often. Does not stop me wanting them though.

@Bonny132 Some low carbers swear by cream cheese pancakes with a carb free "syrup" or whipping cream and berries. I haven't made them yet but they look awesome.

I make a lower carb pancake for my boys (who are all GF too):
    2-4 scoops carb free protein powder
    ~2 droppers full stevia
    ~1tsp vanilla
    ~5 eggs
    ~1/4-1/3c melted coconut oil
    ~ 1.5c whole milk or whipping cream with water (warm if possible so coconut oil doesn't solidify)
    ~0-2 mashed bananas
    ~tsp cinnamon
    ~ 1/2c flax meal
    ~1/4c chia seeds
    ~1/4c hemp hearts
    ~1/2-3/4c coconut flour

It's not exactly keto like the cream cheese pancakes but it's good for keeping highly refined carbs down.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo that looks like an awesome recipe. Yum, will definitely try it out.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    @Queenmunchy there is one store in my area who sell their stuff I will have to check that out on my lunch. Thank you!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo I will try these pancakes too!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    When I think of fluffy white bread ingredients they don't have much room for messing around. Flour, water, yeast, a little vegetable oil, a small amount of sugar and a small amount of salt. That's basic white bread. IDK where she would cut the sodium. Commercial bakeries may have a way but at home I don't know what it would be.

The other thing is that this delicious type of bread is calorific as all hell. Even without a sodium issue, people with a low calorie allowance still have to watch it. It is like an occasional and limited treat rather than acting as the "staff of life" under these circumstances.

OP: You are not alone. If that helps at all.

I wonder if a salt substitute like potassium chloride would work in the bread and taste ok?..... my inner scientist/baker is curious now.

I suspect that would not work. Salt adds flavor and color, but it also regulates the yeast, allowing the bread to rise more slowly and develop better sourdough or yeast flavor, and it also strengthens the gluten bonds (so it doesn't give off too much gas and collapse). It might worthwhile, if she is a baker, to experiment with less-salt bread if, say, half a tsp per loaf would fit into her salt restrictions. At any rate, here is a good place for your inner baking geek to romp. :)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/salt.html

Thanks for the link and the mini lesson!