"Lite" vs Normal

Options

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Lite cheese and mayonnaise are two things I won't use, if I can't have the real thing, then I'll simply go without. It's like my senses get offended.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    Lite cheese and mayonnaise are two things I won't use, if I can't have the real thing, then I'll simply go without. It's like my senses get offended.

It's funny, for certain cheeses, I actually prefer the lite version. The full fat tastes too glommy to me or something. This is mostly for something like shredding into an omelet or enchilada filling. I don't eat much cheese out of hand.

For something that's already light-ish, like feta, I prefer the regular version.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    For the same reason you noted - I eat regular food! I would rather manage the portion than wonder of all those 'lite' food I ate help contribute to the health issue I may have developed . . .
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Aquawave wrote: »
    We buy Daisy full fat sour cream. Less "stuff" in it. If you cannot pronounce it, it is not food.

Daisy lite sour cream doesn't have any "stuff" added to it...they just use skim milk.
    vingogly wrote: »
    I haven't read everything in the thread so I don't know if this has been answered. I think the extra stuff is in there mostly for textural reasons (mouth feel) and as preservatives. Take the fat out of something like sour cream (or ice cream) and it becomes much less appealing because you lose the mouth feel of the fat.

I use low fat, no sugar added soy and coconut milk because I tend to use it in things rather than by itself. I've gotten into the habit of having a half cup greek yogurt with a half cup mixed berries and a quarter cup granola (usually Kind brand) sweetened with stevia as a dessert in the evening, and I use full fat yogurt because it's so much better tasting.

When I have ice cream, I'll have the full fat version. "ice milk" is an abomination. You have to decide two things: are you in this for the long haul, or are you "dieting"? and if the former, can you live with food that doesn't taste great to you for the rest of your life?

Most dairy products do not add anything to lower fat options...they just skim the fat. I actually find it odd that there was anything added as per the OP...I use lite sour cream all of the time because we eat a lot of it and I don't really want to spend the calories...I've never had a lite sour cream with anything added...they just skim the fat.

Actually I produce dairy for a living and this isn't true. Lite and Nonfat options have all sorts of additives. Some are for body, some appearance, and some are for flavor. There are vitamins and flavor enhancers and all sorts of things added to different formulas. They do not just use skim milk. As a matter of fact rarely if ever use skim in a sour cream because milk is expensive and skim is needed for cottage cheese curd. I'm sure there are brands with less chemical additives but its certainly not the norm.

Interesting. How do they get away with not putting these additives on the label of the end product?

I was wondering the same.

I'm particularly curious what's added to low fat Fage greek yogurt, since I buy that quite often. Please do share.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We buy Daisy full fat sour cream. Less "stuff" in it. If you cannot pronounce it, it is not food.

Daisy lite sour cream doesn't have any "stuff" added to it...they just use skim milk.
    I haven't read everything in the thread so I don't know if this has been answered. I think the extra stuff is in there mostly for textural reasons (mouth feel) and as preservatives. Take the fat out of something like sour cream (or ice cream) and it becomes much less appealing because you lose the mouth feel of the fat.

I use low fat, no sugar added soy and coconut milk because I tend to use it in things rather than by itself. I've gotten into the habit of having a half cup greek yogurt with a half cup mixed berries and a quarter cup granola (usually Kind brand) sweetened with stevia as a dessert in the evening, and I use full fat yogurt because it's so much better tasting.

When I have ice cream, I'll have the full fat version. "ice milk" is an abomination. You have to decide two things: are you in this for the long haul, or are you "dieting"? and if the former, can you live with food that doesn't taste great to you for the rest of your life?

Most dairy products do not add anything to lower fat options...they just skim the fat. I actually find it odd that there was anything added as per the OP...I use lite sour cream all of the time because we eat a lot of it and I don't really want to spend the calories...I've never had a lite sour cream with anything added...they just skim the fat.

Actually I produce dairy for a living and this isn't true. Lite and Nonfat options have all sorts of additives. Some are for body, some appearance, and some are for flavor. There are vitamins and flavor enhancers and all sorts of things added to different formulas. They do not just use skim milk. As a matter of fact rarely if ever use skim in a sour cream because milk is expensive and skim is needed for cottage cheese curd. I'm sure there are brands with less chemical additives but its certainly not the norm.

sourcream-light.jpg

Ingredients: Cultured cream, skim milk, vitamin A palmitate

Where's all the added *kitten*

Also, it seems to have skim milk, contrary to the assertion: "They do not just use skim milk." Hmm.

Edit: oh, you already said that -- I should read to the end before posting, heh.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    For the same reason you noted - I eat regular food! I would rather manage the portion than wonder of all those 'lite' food I ate help contribute to the health issue I may have developed . . .

What is in low fat Fage that you think will give you a "health condition"?

What about the dressing I make at home without oil (I like vinegar + mustard) or with just a little oil (reversing the usual ratio for vinaigrette)?

This idea that low fat/lite = bad is being taken to an extreme. Read the label and avoid what you don't want, great. But don't assert that every low fat/lite/light food has added stuff that would be undesirable (or added sugar, etc.). Eating lower fat foods (in my case, to make room for some higher fat foods, like cheese) does not mean you are eating "fake food" or all the rest of the things people have been saying.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

sourcream-light.jpg

Ingredients: Cultured cream, skim milk, vitamin A palmitate

Where's all the added *kitten*

Also, it seems to have skim milk, contrary to the assertion: "They do not just use skim milk." Hmm.

She also stated that skim milk would rarely if ever be used for sour cream...yet this is a common/popular brand of sour cream...hmmmm.....
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    When I began MFP, I was shocked by a lot of things.
    Reading labels is routine now.
    I have gone by calorie content from the beginning (I had a lot to lose, over 1/2 of my current body weight and calorie content was my main concern). I have been at this for a long time now, 4-1/2 years on MFP, almost 3 on maintenance. I eat what tastes good to me and stay within my calorie budget. For example, my favorite yogurt now is Dannon light & fit Greek yogurt, banana flavored (80 cal). I also really like the Noosa pumpkin yogurt (290 cal) which has a lot more calories. I work whichever I am hungry for, into my calories for the day.
    Make it easier on yourself and choose the best way to make this sustainable for the long term for yourself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It depends.

For example I was using Swiss Cheese Natural. It had 5 grams of fat and 5 grams of protein and 0 carbs.
    Then the lower fat option had 4 grams of fat and 7 grams of protein.. and a mesely gram of carbs.

I swear this lower fat cheese has a more robust flavor and I am sure it has things to give it flavor, perhaps the carb.

So it depends on if it fits into my diet structure, the taste really is gonna be effected, like low fat cool whip is horrible in texture and does not hold up well in recipes and low fat cream cheese does not work well in recipes either.. But I might use the lower fat cream cheese on my celery and this works..

• Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@Aquawave please see the post directly above yours.
    With the ingredient profile of a banana. You know, 'real' food

?? What does a banana have to do with this discussion?? I thought it was about lite food.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

@Aquawave please see the post directly above yours.
    With the ingredient profile of a banana. You know, 'real' food

?? What does a banana have to do with this discussion?? I thought it was about lite food.

If you had scrolled up and read the ingredients....you'd clearly see the inference

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I read labels and compare serving sizes, calories, and macros. I don't worry about ingredients - I know that I don't know enough about them to have that affect my decision. I'm not about to decide not to try something because something in it sounds gross.

Unless it's onions or peppers. I know I don't like the taste, so I don't get veggie mixes that have those in them. Maaaaaaybe if they're at the very very end of the list and the rest of it sounds intriguing.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It seems that my words may have offended you, did not mean to do so. I was talking about added ingredients.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I just fit it in nothing lite or low or reduced... you can also use greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

This. I don't eat sour cream often as dairy ad i aren't the best of friends <parp>, but I tried some reduced fat stuff after reading good reviews about it. Well, it was horrid - like vaguely sour floury water. Ruined a perfectly good veggie chilli. Definitely sticking with greek yogurt on the rare occasion I fancy it, now!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the previous posts so please forgive me if the conversation was now along a different route.

I eat a low carb and high fat diet so "lite" to me generally means they removed the natural fats and often added sugars or other ingredients to kee the flavour and mouth feel. "Lite" is a sign that the product should be avoided. Normal foods (dairy products mainly) have a higher fat and lower carb content which fits my macros better.

If trying for lower fat and higher carb, "lite" products will fit macros better.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

. "Lite" is a sign that the product should be avoided. Normal foods (dairy products mainly) .....

~sigh~
    When are people going to stop vilifying foods?

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If I have a choice between minimal ingredients or many ingredients I will choose minimal. That said, I have no problem choosing many ingredients if that is what's available...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just don't use a lot of condiments because they are a calorie waste for me and I try to stick to vegetables and meat. I do use Laughing Cow cheese. Individually wrapped 35 calorie processed cheese is just safer for me. I have no self control.