"Lite" vs Normal

Options
Hey all!

So, I went grocery shopping today and picked up ingredients for taco night. As I reached for the reduced fat sour cream, since I'm trying to be healthier I turned the cup to read the nutrition facts (something I'm still getting used to).

I was so shocked! There were so many ingredients with weird crazy names... I grabbed the normal sour cream and read "low-fat milk, cream, enzymes", then threw it in my cart vowing to always read labels, even (especially?) on "reduced", "low", and "lite" products...

I'm curious to hear others opinions. Do you still go for the lighter option? Or like me, prefer limited ingredient? :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I choose normal because of the taste, not because of additional ingredients
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

So, I went grocery shopping today and picked up ingredients for taco night. As I reached for the reduced fat sour cream, since I'm trying to be healthier I turned the cup to read the nutrition facts (something I'm still getting used to).

I was so shocked! There were so many ingredients with weird crazy names... I grabbed the normal sour cream and read "low-fat milk, cream, enzymes", then threw it in my cart vowing to always read labels, even (especially?) on "reduced", "low", and "lite" products...

I'm curious to hear others opinions. Do you still go for the lighter option? Or like me, prefer limited ingredient? :)

I eat low carb so I generally avoid the 'lite' options because they add in sugar (amongst other stuff) to try and make the flavour comparable to the full version.

I just limit the ingredient then. I still work it into my calorie allotment.

If you would rather eat more for less calories, then you can pick the lite option. There's nothing wrong with that.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I prefer limited ingredients because I don't get why they need to be there in some things. So sour cream is just cream made sour. So why does it really need a ton of other things? Like ice cream. I've cream is cream, eggs and sugar. That's it.

I tend to steer away from the low-fat/calorie versions of things (apart from yoghurt) because fat is good for you, it's satisfying and the world is a better place for butter.
  • CrescentVolf
    CrescentVolf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Something useful-ish for me is it is difficult for me to detect flavor changes between, say, Sprite and Sprite Zero. So I could go for the lighter option, but I guess I prefer more wholesome if there is a more wholesome alternative (I realize with soda and diet soda, neither are wholesome lol)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I just compare the labels and decide like you did.

I especially avoid anything "fat free" that really shouldn't be...like sour cream, cheese, or salad dressings. They are usually pretty gross anyways.

I never buy "sugar free" versions of anything as I'm not really concerned with sugar.

"Reduced sodium" I sometimes buy, not because I'm overly concerned with sodium, but would rather add my own salt if needed.

There's no regulations for labeling something "lite", so you really have to investigate those.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I go for the normal version as I prefer the taste, the satiety and to know what I am eating.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just fit it in nothing lite or low or reduced... you can also use greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
  • CrescentVolf
    CrescentVolf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I just fit it in nothing lite or low or reduced... you can also use greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

Oh man, I wish I liked the taste of plain Greek yogurt. I don't know what it is, but it throws me off. I only just recently started eating the flavored Greek yogurt, haha!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat full fat foods. Exceptions are milk (vary between whole and 2%) and yogurt (hard to find whole milk yogurt in my town.) Once in awhile I'll drink a Coke Zero because I am tired of water/iced tea but don't want to spend calories on a regular Coke.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat full fat, full sugar stuff. Just less of it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Depends on the product. If it's a significant saving in calories and I like the product, I'll opt for the light version. If not, I don't. Often, I don't.

Most of the additional ingredients on the light product are things designed to get the texture or taste closer to the original (or closer to acceptable). Things like guar gum for thickening. There's no real reason to avoid them unless you don't like the finished product.

Fewer ingredients doesn't automatically make a product more or less healthy. Nor does the presence of ingredients with which you're not familiar or are not 'whole'.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Depends on the item. LIght sour cream? Nope. Not enough calorie difference to justify the taste, and fat free is a big heck no. But "lite" egg substitute on my egg sandwich, sure - it leaves more calories for CHEESE!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A lot of the 'light' options have such a little difference in calories that it's not even worth bothering with them, unless you really have a low calorie goal and 20-30 calories is a huge deal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I get the regular version of products and just limit the amount I consume to what fits my goals because it tastes better. Better taste is more satisfying use of calories.
    I accidentally bought the light version of Newman's Own Balsalmic Vinaigrette and it tasted the same to me and was half the calories so I get that. I don't think the ingredients listed are vastly different.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »

Oh man, I wish I liked the taste of plain Greek yogurt. I don't know what it is, but it throws me off. I only just recently started eating the flavored Greek yogurt, haha!

I cant eat plain Greek yogurt either, especially not without pulling eye squinty faces :confounded: I add chocolate/peanut butter protein powder and sometimes a dash of vanilla essence.

As for the lite vs normal, I usually stick with full fat products, except for cottage cheese.. I just like the taste and consistency of the low fat version better, it's lighter, fluffier and less stodgy than the full fat version.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I generally choose normal because low fat usually has added sugar. So, in addition to removing the satiating fats, they add the hunger causing (for me) sugars.

I *sometimes* choose lower fat... part skim mozz is one example. But rarely.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I choose normal because it has more wholesome ingredients and a bit of fat is more satiating. Ever had those Skinny Cow ice cream bars? Low cal, low fat, great diet options. Except I need 3 to be satisfied and at that point I've taken in a small mountain of sugar. A lot of sugar makes me feel bad. I'm just better off with a smaller portion if the really good stuff. Besides it's the 1st bite or two that are the best anyway.

Since I choose normal and not lite versions, I use the "all i want-some of it-not much" guidelines for foods. Fruits and veggies are all the time. I go easier on cheese, meat, nuts, oils, butter, etc - yummy but higher cal. And rarely foods are those that need some willpower, cake, ice cream, pizza, doughnuts. This is what I teach my kids, too.

To make this work, it helps to know and visualize serving sizes, or to preportion foods.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Depends on the product and my goals at the moment. *shrug*
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Aside from diet soda, I always use the normal product.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It depends. Some lower calorie foods taste as good as or better than the higher calorie food. Some days I can afford the calories, other days I can't. I read the labels and avoid "light" products that have added sugar, emulsifers, stabilizers, etc. Non-fat milk (skim milk) is all we buy. The only ingredient is milk and Vit. D.