"Lite" vs Normal

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    When there isn't much of a taste difference, I get the "lite" or "low fat" or whatever they call the low-cal version. If I don't like the lower calorie versions taste or texture as much, I get the regular version and mind my portion control.

It is not true that "lite" means "fake food" (whatever that means) or that it means more ingredients or additives. That is a classic "I'm healthier than you because I write a blog that has pictures of a farm on it" generalization and myth.

I eat all kinds of things I can't pronounce, whether they be foreign foods or the scientific name for an ingredient. Everything is made of chemicals, and the chemical names of "natural" ingredients can be difficult to pronounce. Unless your shoveling scoop-fulls of powdered additives and preservatives out of a vat into your mouth everyday, I don't think the little tiny bit in the occasional convenience food is going to do anything.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Many food additives are natural substances. CNN has a fairly good list:

cnn.com/HEALTH/indepth.food/additives/table.html
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I go for full fat as i need more fat in my diet and they taste better.

I avoid artificial sweeteners as they make me tired and hungry and my taste buds get used to sweeter things. Since cutting them out and using a small amount of real sugar i find my tastes have changed and i have less sweet cravings.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Aquawave wrote: »
    We buy Daisy full fat sour cream. Less "stuff" in it. If you cannot pronounce it, it is not food.

Daisy lite sour cream doesn't have any "stuff" added to it...they just use skim milk.
    vingogly wrote: »
    I haven't read everything in the thread so I don't know if this has been answered. I think the extra stuff is in there mostly for textural reasons (mouth feel) and as preservatives. Take the fat out of something like sour cream (or ice cream) and it becomes much less appealing because you lose the mouth feel of the fat.

I use low fat, no sugar added soy and coconut milk because I tend to use it in things rather than by itself. I've gotten into the habit of having a half cup greek yogurt with a half cup mixed berries and a quarter cup granola (usually Kind brand) sweetened with stevia as a dessert in the evening, and I use full fat yogurt because it's so much better tasting.

When I have ice cream, I'll have the full fat version. "ice milk" is an abomination. You have to decide two things: are you in this for the long haul, or are you "dieting"? and if the former, can you live with food that doesn't taste great to you for the rest of your life?

Most dairy products do not add anything to lower fat options...they just skim the fat. I actually find it odd that there was anything added as per the OP...I use lite sour cream all of the time because we eat a lot of it and I don't really want to spend the calories...I've never had a lite sour cream with anything added...they just skim the fat.

It's not too uncommon. For example Kroger brand nonfat greek yogurt has quite a few ingredients listed while Chobani has only nonfat milk and cultures.

I eat Fage...nothing added either. I guess being a food snob has it's benefits.

Fage, Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time I go to Kroger. I just threw out Greek Gods, 1/4 cup raised my sugar too much.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    We buy Daisy full fat sour cream. Less "stuff" in it. If you cannot pronounce it, it is not food.

Daisy lite sour cream doesn't have any "stuff" added to it...they just use skim milk.
    I haven't read everything in the thread so I don't know if this has been answered. I think the extra stuff is in there mostly for textural reasons (mouth feel) and as preservatives. Take the fat out of something like sour cream (or ice cream) and it becomes much less appealing because you lose the mouth feel of the fat.

I use low fat, no sugar added soy and coconut milk because I tend to use it in things rather than by itself. I've gotten into the habit of having a half cup greek yogurt with a half cup mixed berries and a quarter cup granola (usually Kind brand) sweetened with stevia as a dessert in the evening, and I use full fat yogurt because it's so much better tasting.

When I have ice cream, I'll have the full fat version. "ice milk" is an abomination. You have to decide two things: are you in this for the long haul, or are you "dieting"? and if the former, can you live with food that doesn't taste great to you for the rest of your life?

Most dairy products do not add anything to lower fat options...they just skim the fat. I actually find it odd that there was anything added as per the OP...I use lite sour cream all of the time because we eat a lot of it and I don't really want to spend the calories...I've never had a lite sour cream with anything added...they just skim the fat.

It's not too uncommon. For example Kroger brand nonfat greek yogurt has quite a few ingredients listed while Chobani has only nonfat milk and cultures.

Fage, Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time I go to Kroger. I just threw out Greek Gods, 1/4 cup raised my sugar too much.

fage is legit. When i was in greece they had the full fat version (i've only seen 2% or 0% in the states).... you would not believe the texture.
  • Aquawave
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

fage is legit. When i was in greece they had the full fat version (i've only seen 2% or 0% in the states).... you would not believe the texture.

No full fat version in the states? Anyone?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Atleast in texas, i've never seen it. Only 2% and 0% (in both plain cups and the fruit cups).
  • kimny72
    Options

Atleast in texas, i've never seen it. Only 2% and 0% (in both plain cups and the fruit cups).

Every once and awhile I can find the full fat plain in the single serving cup here in NY. Luckily the 2% Fage is pretty awesome. I'd bet the full fat doesn't sell well enough here because so many folks are still afraid of fat :(.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

We have it here in CT.

eta: ...I think. I'm pretty sure I've seen it, think I might have had one or two, but I could obviously be wrong. I'll check next time I'm at the store.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

They have it here in NYC. I buy the full fat version all the time.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I'm usually buying the noname store brand and I've never seen a low fat dairy product where the low fat didn't just come from using skim milk instead of regular.
  • CrescentVolf
    CrescentVolf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I guess it's worth mentioning again that I was not buying Daisy, I was buying a store brand with different ingredients than the Daisy low fat.

Harris Teeter Lite Sour Cream:
    Cultured Pasteurized Nonfat Milk, Cream, Locust Bean Gum, Mono & Diglycerides, Carrageenan, Enzyme.

Those weird ingredients may be just fine, I didn't have time to research them, so I went with the simpler option as it seemed healthier to put into my body ingredients I know rather than those I don't.

Plus locust bean just kinda sounds icky, bahaha.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I guess it's worth mentioning again that I was not buying Daisy, I was buying a store brand with different ingredients than the Daisy low fat.

Harris Teeter Lite Sour Cream:
    Cultured Pasteurized Nonfat Milk, Cream, Locust Bean Gum, Mono & Diglycerides, Carrageenan, Enzyme.

Those weird ingredients may be just fine, I didn't have time to research them, so I went with the simpler option as it seemed healthier to put into my body ingredients I know rather than those I don't.

Plus locust bean just kinda sounds icky, bahaha.

It's just a thickening agent made from the pods of the carob tree. I mean, you don't have to eat it, but I wouldn't avoid it just because it sounds icky.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the product, and I look for brands that have decent ingredient lists.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Actually I produce dairy for a living and this isn't true. Lite and Nonfat options have all sorts of additives. Some are for body, some appearance, and some are for flavor. There are vitamins and flavor enhancers and all sorts of things added to different formulas. They do not just use skim milk. As a matter of fact rarely if ever use skim in a sour cream because milk is expensive and skim is needed for cottage cheese curd. I'm sure there are brands with less chemical additives but its certainly not the norm.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    tahxirez wrote: »
    I go for the least amount of ingredients whenever possible. 20 calories just isn't worth the extra chemicals for me. They may be perfectly safe per the FDA but I'll pass. I go full fat for most things though when my calorie goal was small when I was actively losing some fat free dressings did make their way into my home...not sure how that happened :) For something like Sour Cream try plain greek yogurt (not that you asked for a substitute :))

I know, it doesn't matter, but I find it puzzling when someone claims she cares about the number of ingredients and even suggests that there's something wrong with low fat dairy (which typically has no extra ingredients at all), and then mentions buying dressing. Dressing (including low and no fat) is something I've always made at home, because it's so simple to do so and usually tastes better (IMO). I'm not at all suggesting that there's anything wrong with buying dressing -- I'm sure it's a convenience and if I buy a salad out (for example, at Pret), I'll accept whatever the best dressing option they have usually (based on taste, calories, ingredients). But your post seemed like you were trying to say that people who buy low fat dairy (or other lower fat products -- maybe lean ground beef?) are not eating as "naturally," or consuming "extra chemicals" or taking risks you won't take -- so that rather stuck out to me.[/quo

Well I produce these products professionally including nonfat, lowfat and full fat. I can tell you that declarations on labels do not encapsulate all compounds added to products nor are they legally required to. Buy what you want but please don't put words in my mouth or try to tell others that I am telling them what to do. I also at no point put anyone down for what they ate I gave my experience. Please calm down.
  • Aquawave
    Options
    In my opinion, good sour cream should not have to be thickened with anything. A few years back, when I was logging, I just did without sour cream, as I did not care for the low fat version. Mono and diglycerides are used as an emulsifier and may be animal or vegetable based per Wikipedia .
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »

Actually I produce dairy for a living and this isn't true. Lite and Nonfat options have all sorts of additives. Some are for body, some appearance, and some are for flavor. There are vitamins and flavor enhancers and all sorts of things added to different formulas. They do not just use skim milk. As a matter of fact rarely if ever use skim in a sour cream because milk is expensive and skim is needed for cottage cheese curd. I'm sure there are brands with less chemical additives but its certainly not the norm.

Interesting. How do they get away with not putting these additives on the label of the end product?
  • kimny72
    Options
    So this thread made me curious and I did a little googling, copied and pasted these off their websites (so any caps are copied, not me yelling):

Daisy Lite Sour Cream Ingredients: Cultured cream, skim milk, vitamin A palmitate

Wegman's Light Sour Cream Ingredients: Cultured Pasteurized Grade A Cream, Skim Milk, Milk Protein Concentrate, Enzyme, Vitamin A Palmitate.

Breakstone's Reduced Fat Sour Cream INGREDIENTS: PASTEURIZED CULTURED GRADE A MILK AND CREAM, CONTAINS LESS THAN 1% OF AGAR, ENZYMES, VITAMIN A PALMITATE

Friendship Light Sour Cream Ingredients: Cultured Pasteurized Grade A Milk and Cream, Nonfat Milk, Milk Protein Concentrate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Enzyme

I did find one with more ingredients, Hy-Vee Light Sour Cream Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Nonfat Dry Milk, Food Starch-Modified, Sodium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Sodium Citrate, Locust Bean Gum, Culture (Coagulant), Vitamin A Palmitate, Natamax (Natural Preservative).
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

@Aquawave please see the post directly above yours.
    With the ingredient profile of a banana. You know, 'real' food