Weird Food Combinations - What are your favourites?

Options

Replies

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Roast beef deli slices, with a thin layer of cream cheese, rolled around a gherkin (sweet pickle). My family has them at Thanksgiving and Christmas every year. One of the 'dinners not ready yet' munchies.

My dad, on the other hand, is the weirdo: dill pickle, peanut butter, and onion on rye bread sandwich. lol

I keep meaning to try peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. I've heard good things.

Your family's appetizer sounds like a takeoff on rouladen. Tasty!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    I don't eat these much any more, but they've always been some of my favorites...

Peanut butter, bacon and banana sandwich
    Avocado mashed up with unsweetened cocoa powder and honey.
    Salted peanuts in coke (this was big back in the day)
    Cream cheese or ricotta spread on prunes or dried apricots
    Roast beef sandwich with raspberry jam or cranberry sauce as the condiment
    Bacon in oatmeal, cream of wheat, wheat hearts, or any hot cereal
    Potato mashed up with steamed broccoli
    Raisins, nuts and/or seeds added to hot soups and stews

I also like to load my fork with a little bit of everything on my plate, so I usually wind up with weird bites of food.

Many times in the past I'm made apricots stuffed with cream cheese/mascarpone and almonds/pistachios. They're awesome. Never thought of them as weird before. Hehe

My Dad always gives me the "you're crazy" look when I eat them. Adding nuts is a great idea!

• Sara1791
    Options
    Just remembered that there was a pub I used to go to for lunch at the last place I worked where, in the summer, they did fresh strawberries with cracked black pepper - the pepper really brought the sweetness of the berries out.

So good with a little balsamic vinegar too.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Roast beef deli slices, with a thin layer of cream cheese, rolled around a gherkin (sweet pickle). My family has them at Thanksgiving and Christmas every year. One of the 'dinners not ready yet' munchies.

My dad, on the other hand, is the weirdo: dill pickle, peanut butter, and onion on rye bread sandwich. lol

I keep meaning to try peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. I've heard good things.

I'm embarrassed to admit I actually had to Google rouladen. (As a child, one of the very first things I wanted to be when I grew up was a chef, so I like to think I have a decent knowledge of cuisines from all over the world. Guess I still need some work. lol) That looks really good. might have to make it some time.
  • Sara1791
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

I'm embarrassed to admit I actually had to Google rouladen. (As a child, one of the very first things I wanted to be when I grew up was a chef, so I like to think I have a decent knowledge of cuisines from all over the world. Guess I still need some work. lol) That looks really good. might have to make it some time.

If you try it, make the potato dumplings too. :)
  • Msbeckieboo
    Msbeckieboo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am always frowned upon at work for eating pop-tarts with a slice of cheese on top. Lol, why the frowns?? I think they're the weird ones for NOT eating it that way. I do the same with glazed donuts.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am always frowned upon at work for eating pop-tarts with a slice of cheese on top. Lol, why the frowns?? I think they're the weird ones for NOT eating it that way. I do the same with glazed donuts.

Pop Tarts with cheese sounds delicious, I'm going to try that next time I buy some. I like spreading jam on slices of cheese so I can see how that would be good. Cheese on Banana bread is also pretty tasty.

My favourite sandwich has always been peanut butter, mustard, and dill pickle. I don't think it's weird, but no one else I know will try it!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's terribly weird, but I love pb, banana, and bacon sandwiches. Delicious.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Which pop tart flavor do you like the best with it? I'm curious about this now. My mother swears by apple pie and cheese, maybe this is the next best thing.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Mac n cheese with ketchup
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    Cottage cheese, french dressing, and sesame seeds.
    Coffee yogurt with apple slices (apples and coffee are a pretty delicious combo)
    Omelettes with hummus
    Dipping bacon in mustard

I'm sure others will occur to me later.
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posters: after reading these mine seem normal! But this has been a fun read and I came away with great ideas. I am a vinegar lover, so I put vinegar in/on many foods. One of my favorites is vegetables dipped in hummus with vinegar stirred in! I also really like spaghetti with meat & sauce with Italian salad dressing poured over the top - just typing it makes me want some!
  • Akrunr49
    Akrunr49 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love having plain cheerios with a bit of peanut butter on the edge of the bowl to add with each bite. I also love peanut butter/tortilla roll.... and peanut butter melted on toast with an over medium egg on top.... pretty much I just love peanut butter XD before I got pregnant and put on a ton of weight I worked out 5x a week and had a trainer. Needless to say peanut butter was my best friend post workout.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hmm not sure how weird it is but my hubs thinks it's gross: spaghetti mixed with sauteed spinach and fresh parmesean and topped with a couple over easy eggs.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    Spaghetti with ranch. My dad looks at me like I committed some horrible crime.

My hubby will mix ranch dressing with his rice sometimes, especially if he's having chili with it. I've tried it - it's okay, but not something I feel drawn to do regularly! Never tried it with spaghetti though.
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    Hmm not sure how weird it is but my hubs thinks it's gross: spaghetti mixed with sauteed spinach and fresh parmesean and topped with a couple over easy eggs.

That sounds delicious to.me, actually. I'm a big fan of over easy eggs on top of stir fries...never thought about pasta..
  • Msbeckieboo
    Options

Pop Tarts with cheese sounds delicious, I'm going to try that next time I buy some. I like spreading jam on slices of cheese so I can see how that would be good. Cheese on Banana bread is also pretty tasty.

My favourite sandwich has always been peanut butter, mustard, and dill pickle. I don't think it's weird, but no one else I know will try it!

LADY???? I mean,,,,,,,ummmm, So when's the baby due???
  • Msbeckieboo
    Options

Which pop tart flavor do you like the best with it? I'm curious about this now. My mother swears by apple pie and cheese, maybe this is the next best thing.

ALLLLL of the ones with chocolate in them. Oh, and cherry too.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My mother used to think it was completely gross when I would dunk my peanut butter sandwiches in chicken noodle soup.

She thought it was just a kid thing that I would outgrow - Little does she know that her now-35 year old daughter still does it lol
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    smiles4jo wrote: »
    My mother used to think it was completely gross when I would dunk my peanut butter sandwiches in chicken noodle soup.

She thought it was just a kid thing that I would outgrow - Little does she know that her now-35 year old daughter still does it lol

Which reminds me of a (I think) less bizarre combination, I LOVE dipping grilled cheese in condensed cream of mushroom soup usually used for green bean casserole! It's delicious! It also makes a great sauce for gnocchi or any kind of pasta, really!

I'm interested in that peanut butter chicken noodle soup combination though, hm. I found out my boyfriend loves eating sandwiches dipped in chocolate pudding so I mean, I guess there's strangers things out there :')