Candida Infection

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @SCoil123 this is the first article that popped up when i googled.

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/probiotics-and-antifungals.htm
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Google is really not the best source of information. OP I would follow your doctor's orders and not what you find via Google.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Oil of oregano
  • Christine_72
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Google is really not the best source of information. OP I would follow your doctor's orders and not what you find via Google.

It helped answer the question of the timing of antifungals and probiotics. ..

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I was just getting back on here to check this. I should rephrase what I said. Yes, you take them on the same day but they should be taken at least 8-12 hrs apart. Otherwise, the probiotic will kill the anti-fungal if they are in your gut at the same time. Ideally, one would take the AF in the morning and the probiotic at bedtime. The idea is that after some of the candida has been killed off you try to repopulate with good bacteria at night. The eventual goal is more good bacteria in the gut will also help kill off the candida as well as prevent it from coming back.

I didn't go back to look who it was but whomever said they thought candida had been debunked - seriously? Good grief! No. Canfida is real and it causes real health issues for a lot of people.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Some interesting reading in the other Candida thread. You'll see that I'm not alone in my initial skepticism.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10453674/candida-overgrowth-in-gut/p1

But I also checked for confirmation that medical doctors are recognizing intestinal Candida overgrowth and they definitely are:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163673/

I'd only heard of it in the sketchiest of conditions previously.
  • ronjsteele1

Are you guys sure? Is an antifungal similar to antibiotics? If so, they recommend to take a probiotic whilst taking antibiotics, but something like 12 hours apart, otherwise yes, the antibiotics will kill the good bacteria of the probiotics along with the bad.

Anti-fungals and antibiotics are different. However, that rule still applies to both. A probiotic will kill off both AF's and ABX's. Good question!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Oh I got that too. I took some stuff and ate no dairy/yeast/sugar for 7 days. Don't think it was long enough though I'm going to have to do it again for longer.

Not antibiotic though, I took herbal mix. And yes - no need to tell me herbs are woo and they don't work, because I like herbs have taken them for year and years and they work for me if I do it properly. Just takes longer than 'normal' meds to work, which is the only downfall.

Good luck with it though. It's a pain in the butt.
  • ronjsteele1
    edited October 2016
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Oh I got that too. I took some stuff and ate no dairy/yeast/sugar for 7 days. Don't think it was long enough though I'm going to have to do it again for longer.

Not antibiotic though, I took herbal mix. And yes - no need to tell me herbs are woo and they don't work, because I like herbs have taken them for year and years and they work for me if I do it properly. Just takes longer than 'normal' meds to work, which is the only downfall.

Good luck with it though. It's a pain in the butt.

Yay! Someone else that recognizes the value of herbs, etc. :smile: Yep. Natural stuff takes longer to work, but thankfully, is less toxic in the long run when used correctly. Herbal wise, were you using goldenseal, Oil of oregano, and garlic? I know you have to cycle goldenseal.

You are so right on the candida diet. 7 days won't do it. Generally, people eat that way for a good three to six months to really knock candida. I would have a VERY difficult time eating that restricted for a week much less months, so I went a different route. Nonetheless, definitely have to be in for the long haul once candida affects your health significantly.
  • ronjsteele1
    Some interesting reading in the other Candida thread. You'll see that I'm not alone in my initial skepticism.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10453674/candida-overgrowth-in-gut/p1

But I also checked for confirmation that medical doctors are recognizing intestinal Candida overgrowth and they definitely are:

That's okay. Give it enough time and medicine will catch up with the rest of what people call "woo" around here. They usually do. :wink:
  • goldthistime
    I bounce around in my view of "woo". I'd much rather follow the advice of professional organizations who have reviewed the studies and come to thoughtful conclusions, than people who are using anecdotal evidence, intuition and word of mouth. But I also recognize that it takes a while for studies to get done (longer still if there's no benefactor willing to fund those studies), so it's possible that some of this "woo" will eventually be recognized as valuable.

At the same time I watched a friend with cancer follow what I considered to be dangerous diet advice from another friend (who saw naturopaths almost exclusively), and witnessed the worst possible outcome. I think she straight up starved to death, but at the very least, her malnourishment was a factor in her death. It made me angry. "Woo" can be like a religion for some, emotionally defended, rather than based on evidence. It can be dangerous and deserves to be examined closely when it comes up in the forums.

Back to Candida in the gut (and I might expand the discussion to include it's frequent friend increased permeability (aka leaky gut)). I just skimmed, but it seemed to be a factor primarily for people who have intestinal inflammation and ulcers. I have some struggles in this area so it's quite interesting to me. I didn't see any mention of these problems in the OPs post (although the fact that her dr ordered the test makes me wonder whether she has also had some problems). Perhaps bloating infers inflammation. I certainly bloat up horribly when I'm having problems.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited October 2016
    My sister had this. She also had to do the diet, as well as use magic mouthwash and take strong anti fungals. The diet is done for a long time, as in months.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    nickatine wrote: »
    Oil of oregano

??

She needs to listen to her doctor.

Only benefit of oil of oregano would be the pleasant smell of pizza.

But since she can't eat starches for the moment, it would likely just be tortuous.
  • goldthistime
    I was thinking about the inflammation/Candida connection, and it occurred to me that it may be correlation more than causation. What I mean by that is that when I am having problems with inflammation/ulcers, I can't eat any "scrapey" foods. Whole wheat is a no no, as are most vegetables and fruits, even meat is out. So the foods I eat starches, sweets and fatty things. Noodles and pastries. This seems like the ideal environment for Candida to flourish. If others are like me we may be looking at an effect (that may or may not be problematic) rather than a cause.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited October 2016

Are you guys sure? Is an antifungal similar to antibiotics? If so, they recommend to take a probiotic whilst taking antibiotics, but something like 12 hours apart, otherwise yes, the antibiotics will kill the good bacteria of the probiotics along with the bad.

Anti-fungals and antibiotics are different. However, that rule still applies to both. A probiotic will kill off both AF's and ABX's. Good question!

There is nothing alive in an antifungal medicine to kill. Antifungals are chemicals.
  • Christine_72

There is nothing alive in an antifungal medicine to kill. Antifungals are chemicals.

I missed that bit.. It's the other way around @ronjsteele1 , the AF's and anti's will kill off the good bacteria in the probiotics if taken at the same time.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited October 2016
    Every time I see a notification about this thread, I hear a song in my head. Yea, I'm old. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WROdwlk9_h8
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member

Medical Doctors have always recognized candida infections, they just don't recognize the fake illness know as candida hypersensitivity. That study doesn't prove that the fake disease candida overgrowth is real, it discusses real candida infections in patients with GI conditions. The fake candida as diagnosed by quacks is sub-clinical and can be diagnosed by having any or all of a myriad of very vague symptoms.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    Just to follow up my doctor responded to the question of whether or not to take probiotics while on anti fungal medication for the intestinal infection.

"There is conflicting evidence as to whether or not probiotics will decrease the effectiveness of the medication. Since the priority is to rid your body of the infection I would urge you to follow my original recommendation to follow up the treatment with probiotics, not take them at the same time. Please discontinue the probiotic supplements until your antifungal prescription is gone."