Candida Infection

Options
SCoil123
SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I thought I was plateaued but as I often read here if you get stuck there is usually a cause. I went to my doctor for some issues I was having and it turned out I have a candida problem. One of the things this can cause is bloating and slowed weight loss.

Im on a very restrictive diet for the next 30 days and may need anti fungal medication if that doesnt help.

My purpose in this post was that I was seeing a lot of plateau posts lately. If you really are logging and tracking accurately but still stuck I encourage you to see your doctor. There can be medical causes that will make you sick if not addressed.

Replies

• SCoil123
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    People on long term antibiotics or with suppressed immune systems are susceptible to this condition. But unless candidiasis makes you eat more, how does it affect weight? Please explain?

Mostly just with the bloating and trouble with proper digestion.

I have hashimotos so I guess candida problems are supposedly common for people like me but this is my first experience with it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My mom suffered with Candida for years. Anti fungal medication did not help her - the restrictive diet did. She did it longer than a month, though. Good luck!

If I feel the early signs of a yeast infection I take a peeled, lightly squished clove of garlic internally. (More directions in the first link.)

Garlic is a natural anti-fungal. Most of the time this works but if it doesn't then I get an OTC anti-fungal like Monistat.

https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC538912/
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-a-clove-of-garlic-can-stop-a-vaginal-yeast-infection/
  • SCoil123
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My mom suffered with Candida for years. Anti fungal medication did not help her - the restrictive diet did. She did it longer than a month, though. Good luck!

If I feel the early signs of a yeast infection I take a peeled, lightly squished clove of garlic internally. (More directions in the first link.)

Garlic is a natural anti-fungal. Most of the time this works but if it doesn't then I get an OTC anti-fungal like Monistat.

https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC538912/
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-a-clove-of-garlic-can-stop-a-vaginal-yeast-infection/

The infection is in my digestive track so I dont think Monistat will help this time but Im stoked to hear the diet helped your mom. Im really looking forward to getting over this.
  • bethanytilling
    bethanytilling Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling ? Apparently I've had it for a while with a long list of symptoms:( I've been doing the diet now for 3 weeks. Not to much of a difference yet. After suffering for so long I went to a naturopath o also taking lots of supplements
  • SCoil123
    Options
    I was struggling on the diet and ended up going on antifungal pills. I'll be on them for 30 days. The first few days I didn't notice anything other than I was really bloated and craving sweets. Now its starting to work and I feel a little run down but I was warned this may happen and last 1-2 weeks, if longer than my doctor wants me to come in. I'm pushing through my work outs and optimistic that I will be over this soon.

How are you feeling? Is the diet working for you?
  • RLW0930
    RLW0930 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try taking a daily acidophilus probiotic supplement. It helps to get your "good" bacteria back in check. Helps me a lot!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What does the diet consist of?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was similarly diagnosed and put on what was basically a low carb diet. I will say that she has had great success.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    What does the diet consist of?

The one my doctor wanted me to try eliminated starches and sugars temporarily as they feed the yeast. It didn't do much for me though and was hard to stick to. I love my potatoes lol
  • SCoil123
    Options
    RLW0930 wrote: »
    Try taking a daily acidophilus probiotic supplement. It helps to get your "good" bacteria back in check. Helps me a lot!

I'm on probiotics now with the antifungal medication.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

Please tell me they told you not to take the probiotic at the same time as the anti-fungal? Doing so will cause both not to work.
  • SCoil123
    edited October 2016
    Options

Please tell me they told you not to take the probiotic at the same time as the anti-fungal? Doing so will cause both not to work.

I was advised to start taking the probiotics the last day of my prescription. I have been taking them anyways though...guess I should stop. I didn't know why I'd been told to wait and thought I would get better faster.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I was advised to start taking the probiotics the last day of my prescription. I have been taking then anyways though...guess I should stop. I didn't know why I'd been told to wait and thought I would get better faster.

Nope, they pretty much cancel each other out, causing the antifungal to not do its job.
  • SCoil123
    Options

I was advised to start taking the probiotics the last day of my prescription. I have been taking then anyways though...guess I should stop. I didn't know why I'd been told to wait and thought I would get better faster.

Nope, they pretty much cancel each other out, causing the antifungal to not do its job.

I have a few weeks of the medication left. I hope its not too late. Thank you. I guess in hindsight I should ask more questions when the doctor tells me something and learn to be more patient.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Are you guys sure? Is an antifungal similar to antibiotics? If so, they recommend to take a probiotic whilst taking antibiotics, but something like 12 hours apart, otherwise yes, the antibiotics will kill the good bacteria of the probiotics along with the bad.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    I'm emailing my doctor tonight to clarify the probiotics. She did tell me I needed to start taking them the same day I was finishing the medication and that I should plan on taking them going forward long term because they can help prevent these infections. But that is all she said about it.