Eating Clean

Options
1235»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think "eat clean" is such a buzzword that many (even some doctors) just tend to use it as a synonym with "follow a healthful diet." So that's one reason people ask. Some mean that, some people they mostly cook from whole foods, and some -- probably a minority, but the most prominent use on MFP, I think -- assert that they NEVER eat any "bad" or processed foods ("bad" varies, and processed doesn't seem to have a consistent meaning, as there have been frequent posters who proclaimed that they never ate processed while having diaries full of protein powder and Chipotle or boxed cereal or all sorts of obviously processed foods).

You can see why the confusion! ;-)

Anyway, I think lots more people focus on eating a healthful diet and limit certain kinds of foods than actual self-define as "eating clean," and so far I haven't see any evidence that people who self-define as eating clean actually eat more healthfully. So that's why I always ask what the OP is really seeking.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MPDean wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I consider "clean eating" avoiding processed foods with perservatives and other addidtives I cant pronounce on the label.

If you can pronounce the ingredients you can eat it? Finally my degree pays off!

I'm pretty sure I can pronounce cyanide and strychnine and I think I'll avoid those.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I didn't mean to start a fight I was just wondering because my doctor said to eat clean and was trying to see if anyone else does for ideas. Again sorry.

"Eating clean" is too vague. Ask your doctor or a registered dietician for a more specific diet recommendation if you need one.
    However, to lose weight you just need a calorie deficit. You can get that while eating any kind of food.

That's the best advice, "clean" means too many things depending on who you ask and often what decade we are in.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I didn't mean to start a fight I was just wondering because my doctor said to eat clean and was trying to see if anyone else does for ideas. Again sorry.

Nothing to apologize for. "Clean eating" is one of those buzzwords that has been overused and so it gets a stronger negative reaction.

There is a certain amount of "one true faithism" when it comes to diet and nutrition, and sometimes people who favor one type of eating get all fired up and want to preach to others about its virtues--even though there is little science behind it.

And, the way some describe it, "clean eating" is an example of the misguided notion that a specific "diet" can lead to weight loss, independent of calorie intake.

Not knowing any of this, you asked a perfectly legitimate question.

I like the expression "no true Scotsman" here because nothing is ever clean enough to some. The question is very valid but unfortunately there is never a good answer if you are looking for simple rules on "good" vs "bad" foods. I recommend to the OP that they look at their diet as a whole and make reasonable choices based on meeting their basic requirements and then having a bit of enjoyment if they so desire.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

but what about smoked salmon? :smile:

I tried to smoke a salmon but couldn't find the rolling papers.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

but what about smoked salmon? :smile:

I tried to smoke a salmon but couldn't find the rolling papers.

swnw69lp1ryw.jpg
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I like my food processed and artificially flavored. I'm a rebel, living on the edge. What does clean eating even mean? Just because you eat pure meat with vegetables and fruit doesn't mean you're going to lose weight any faster than someone else who doesn't eat like that. You can pry all of the "junk" from my cold, dead, healthy skinny hands.