Scariest Movie Ever

Options

Replies

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Absentia is a good one about missing people, sort of a different take on the idea of trolls under a bridge.
  • Coffeebeenz
    Coffeebeenz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I saw it. Iranian, I think. Was fun and unique, I liked it. But not quite enough to use. But thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it! And not many people I know have heard of it, so def a hidden gem! :)
  • Coffeebeenz
    Options
    @Coffeebeenz. Play them Vampyr by Carl Theodor dreyer.

I've never seen it, so I'll check it out. Thanks!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    The first Nightmare on Elm Street had me terrified to go to sleep for quite a while. The premise of it was something that I'd never seen before and Freddie Kruger wasn't a joke in that one.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If anyone has any ideas/suggestions..

I attend this horror flick get together each year around Halloween. We each randomly pick a horror genre & have a year to select a good example of that movie, then we drink and show our picks & vote on em & stuff (I'm a serious horror buff). So I've never won, the closest I've come is 2nd one year when I showed Night of the Creeps for the "B-Movie" category. This year I have "Vampires." I'm thinking of showing Stakeland-- but idk. I think my competition might prefer Near Dark. I'm the one in the group who likes dark/artsy/twisted/scenic stuff, so I never consider my audience enough. Can't show Let the Right One In (dammit!) cuz it was shown another year in a different category. Also, because they've all seen it, Afflicted & 30 Days of Night are outta the running. Okay, sorry, long-winded. My question is:

Any good Vampire hidden gems out there?

Can you use a mini-series? It's an oldie, but Salem's Lot might be a contender:

http://horrorfreaknews.com/salems-lot-1979-review

ETA - there is a movie version made from the mini-series.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was freaked out by Amityville Horror....Carrie....Blair Witch.....Have you Checked the Children Yet.....The Shining.....Texas Chainsaw Massacre.....more recently: Mama....The Conjuring....Blair Witch.....
  • Coffeebeenz
    Options
    Absentia is a good one about missing people, sort of a different take on the idea of trolls under a bridge.

Loved Absentia! You have such good taste in horror movies! Okay, I've got an obscure, awesome one you should check out--it's called Resolution. No spoilers... Just that it's really cool.
  • born_of_fire74
    Options
    Thanks Coffeebeanz, I like to think I have good taste in all movies. I'm an insufferable film snob and I even considered taking Film Studies when I was young and optimistic, before I shot a child from my baby cannon and he walked all over my dreams. B)

I will mention Resolution to husband, he is in charge of acquisitions.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It's rare I find anything "scary". But when I was a kid, "A Nightmare On Elm Street" always freaked me out, just because of the fact that if you go to sleep, you die. That's the scariest thing ever, cause everyone needs to sleep at some point. Freddy Krueger is probably the most frightening villain too IMO.
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I was a little girl I was terrified of "The People Under the Stairs". I'm still creeped out by it. It was just so crazy. I've seen it maybe twice.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love horror movies but haven't been creeped out by any since i was a kid.
  • KristaCatherine87
    KristaCatherine87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Halloween. Watched it way too young and had nightmares for years, literally lol. Still my all time favourite!
    Horror movies in General are my favourites, anything by Stephen king, the nightmare on elm street movies just anything horror = a good time haha.
  • Coffeebeenz
    Options
    Update: Thanks to those who helped me with vampire flick ideas! Our Halloween bash is over and my movie won best film!!! Woohoo!! I showed Stakeland... so if you haven't seen it, give it a look! It's not super "scary", but it's really good. Kinda has a Walking Dead feel, but vampire-style..
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm not into scary/horror movies but for me it is Event Horizon :o
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Anything with new Meg Ryan in it

article-2347831-1A6B7F7C000005DC-233_634x586.jpg
  • fatgiraffe2
    fatgiraffe2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love horror films, but the Babadook really creeped me out!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    13 Ghosts
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The Invitation on netflix is pretty good. You have to be a little patient with it though.
  • born_of_fire74
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Coffeebeenz, we watched The Resolution the other day. Thanks for the recommendation, I really liked it! I was still thinking about it when I went to bed that night and only good movies do that to me. The guy who played Chris put in a great performance and I really enjoyed the dialogue; it was very organic, just like the kinds of things a couple of guys would talk about in the way that they would talk about those things. The ending, in particular, was phenomenal, especially after making me wonder how the hell they were going to get any kind of closure. Husband had some trouble getting ahold of a copy but it was worth the search. I will definitely be recommending to others in the future. Gratz on your movie victory too!
  • pageohana6
    pageohana6 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a taking it back old school. These movies watching it as a kid scared me and to this day won't watch them alone: The Shining, The Exorcist, The Amityville Horror. As an adult, I found Insidious as well as Jeepers Creepers scary. Will not watch them alone even in the daytime.